4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

People who have upgraded your brakes.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 07:17 AM

Okay, this is the deal, I'm going to get some 18 inch wheels, and I was looking at different brakes. Who would be the best company for the upgrade? Thanks in advance for the info.

K
Old 05-27-2001, 08:18 AM

well, if you want to spend the money, go with the Stillen/AP 4piston setup. I just ordered Stillen drilled rotors all around, Stillen Metal Matrix Pads, SS brakelines, and Motul Fluid. I'll have it on my max in a week or so. I'll let you know.
Old 05-27-2001, 08:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Screaminfast
well, if you want to spend the money, go with the Stillen/AP 4piston setup. I just ordered Stillen drilled rotors all around, Stillen Metal Matrix Pads, SS brakelines, and Motul Fluid. I'll have it on my max in a week or so. I'll let you know.
Don't be alarmed when you put the new rotors and pads. You will hear a lot of grinding with the new setup. You MUST take your time in braking them in or you will overheat them and cause hotspots on the surfaceof the rotors. For the initial break-in, you should drive about 5 mph and stop with light pressure. You will need to do this until you start to feel and see the progress of the pads wearing in. You will have to continue this until you wear away the coating on the rotors. The brakes are cool but Stillen has some homework to do on how they treat some of their customers. I won't buy anything else from them. Good luck with the brakes.
Old 05-27-2001, 09:16 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Originally posted by DARTHSWAN
Okay, this is the deal, I'm going to get some 18 inch wheels, and I was looking at different brakes. Who would be the best company for the upgrade? Thanks in advance for the info.

K
Old 05-28-2001, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by DARTHSWAN

K
If you want to fill the wheel up, you'll have to go with the AP Racing upgrade.

If you don't to spend $1600+ and want to stick with the stock sizes, I've got a few Stillen brake kits available. Click on my link below for pricing and pictures.
Old 05-29-2001, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the 4 piston set up. I believe I will be going with the AP Brakes. I'll let you all know how it goes.

K