4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I Had A Moment With My Maxima Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 02:08 AM

After visiting my girlfriend in Orange County I was heading home. Right when I got on the 22 west (Euclid St.) I saw a GS300 Lexus driving all fast. I decided to catch up. I paced with him and traffic came up. He got behind me and rode my a$$ for real long. Then once we cleared traffic he gunned it and came to the lane to the right of me. I downshifted to 4th and hit it. He got up to my rear wheel and then I started pulling real hard. He tried to play a little bit with me, but the Maxima just walked real hard on him. Shortly after this my Maxima rolled 58,000 miles. So I gave the steering wheel a kiss because that's 58,000 miles of absolutely no troubles. Just oil changes, that's it. I did spark plugs at 55K, but that's it for changes. Porterfield pads at 30K, but still stock brake rotors and clutch. Anyways, I'm VERY pleased with the reliability thus far.

So five minutes later I'm driving on the 405N, and at the 405/605 interchange I see a yellow S4 with exhaust to my left. I pace with him for a while and admire his car. On a slight grade I decide to downshift to 4th and gun it. I was really surprised that I pulled away from him that hard. He hadn't gunned it yet, but even up this hill from a steady 90MPH when i gunned it I pulled hard. Well he didn't like this and when I slowed down he zoomed by me. I caught up and he gunned it in front of me. I gunned it right after, floored in 4th I was stuck to his bumper, there was actually 2-3 times that I had to lift off because I was getting to close. Now I know I had an advantage because there was less drag since I was behind him. Yes I was that close, maybe 1/2 car length. Well then I got next to him and we're doing 90 again, I hear his exhaust and turbos spool up so I hit it in 4th, we're glued together and I start pulling ever so slightly till about 120 when I flashed the brakes and slowed. Well we had some fun but never got a real good race. I'm sure off the line he'd get me cause of AWD, but I'm sure he was frustrated to know a Maxima was running with him, if not better than him. I don't know if it was auto or stick (if they even make an auto S4?). He didn't seem to happy, the look on his face was almost priceless. I'm sure he thought I was SC'd or something.

Finally on the surface streets some red 99-2000 Pontiac Firebird Convertible V6 Stick was next to me. He kept driving quite quick off the line at the lights, so one time I rev'd a bit on him right before it turned green. He hit it, then I hit it. Chirped into second with the 17's and he was LONG gone. Damn he tried to hang, but by 70 I had 3 lengths on him and pulling quite hard. First gear I was only 1/2 a length on him, then into second I just pulled hard. Anyways, he wasn't too happy either, but he felt the rath of the Maxima.

well that's my story, not bad for 30 miles of driving. So I had a moment with my Maxima tonight. A real driver's appreciation for it. 58,000 miles of trouble-free driving. Some incredible kills, great size, great luxury, who could complain. I do take real good care of it. I run it hard sometimes, but it gets synthetic ever 2000-2500 miles, premium gas, and I'm so **** on warming up and warming down my car.
Old 05-28-2001, 03:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

congrats on your "moment"
Old 05-28-2001, 03:44 AM
Lyt97SC

yea S4's come in TipTronic, ive heard they arent much slower than the manual version, magazine tests if i recall correctly had them at around 14.5 or so

Old 05-28-2001, 06:28 AM

I've noticed that other Maxima owners seem to always want to hang together when driving. Last night on the way to work 2 other 4th gens and 5th gen and myself flew down I-95 from Stamford down into NYC, with all the Maxs and a random Legend keeping up with each other. On the way back up, I passed one Max, he tails me, then as we pass another Max, he joins in too. Anyone else ever notice this?
Old 05-28-2001, 08:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Remember that when you are drafting, you will have less resistance to wind which probably explains why you kept having to slow down. Hey, you may have had the power anyway without drafting.
Old 05-28-2001, 08:25 AM
Master Will

cool...kills....

Originally posted by BrianV
After visiting my girlfriend in Orange County I was heading home. Right when I got on the 22 west (Euclid St.) I saw a GS300 Lexus driving all fast. I decided to catch up. I paced with him and traffic came up. He got behind me and rode my a$$ for real long. Then once we cleared traffic he gunned it and came to the lane to the right of me. I downshifted to 4th and hit it. He got up to my rear wheel and then I started pulling real hard. He tried to play a little bit with me, but the Maxima just walked real hard on him. Shortly after this my Maxima rolled 58,000 miles. So I gave the steering wheel a kiss because that's 58,000 miles of absolutely no troubles. Just oil changes, that's it. I did spark plugs at 55K, but that's it for changes. Porterfield pads at 30K, but still stock brake rotors and clutch. Anyways, I'm VERY pleased with the reliability thus far.

So five minutes later I'm driving on the 405N, and at the 405/605 interchange I see a yellow S4 with exhaust to my left. I pace with him for a while and admire his car. On a slight grade I decide to downshift to 4th and gun it. I was really surprised that I pulled away from him that hard. He hadn't gunned it yet, but even up this hill from a steady 90MPH when i gunned it I pulled hard. Well he didn't like this and when I slowed down he zoomed by me. I caught up and he gunned it in front of me. I gunned it right after, floored in 4th I was stuck to his bumper, there was actually 2-3 times that I had to lift off because I was getting to close. Now I know I had an advantage because there was less drag since I was behind him. Yes I was that close, maybe 1/2 car length. Well then I got next to him and we're doing 90 again, I hear his exhaust and turbos spool up so I hit it in 4th, we're glued together and I start pulling ever so slightly till about 120 when I flashed the brakes and slowed. Well we had some fun but never got a real good race. I'm sure off the line he'd get me cause of AWD, but I'm sure he was frustrated to know a Maxima was running with him, if not better than him. I don't know if it was auto or stick (if they even make an auto S4?). He didn't seem to happy, the look on his face was almost priceless. I'm sure he thought I was SC'd or something.

Finally on the surface streets some red 99-2000 Pontiac Firebird Convertible V6 Stick was next to me. He kept driving quite quick off the line at the lights, so one time I rev'd a bit on him right before it turned green. He hit it, then I hit it. Chirped into second with the 17's and he was LONG gone. Damn he tried to hang, but by 70 I had 3 lengths on him and pulling quite hard. First gear I was only 1/2 a length on him, then into second I just pulled hard. Anyways, he wasn't too happy either, but he felt the rath of the Maxima.

well that's my story, not bad for 30 miles of driving. So I had a moment with my Maxima tonight. A real driver's appreciation for it. 58,000 miles of trouble-free driving. Some incredible kills, great size, great luxury, who could complain. I do take real good care of it. I run it hard sometimes, but it gets synthetic ever 2000-2500 miles, premium gas, and I'm so **** on warming up and warming down my car.

hey man I have a 97 it only has 58,000 miles on it too...and when I bought it in DEC 99 it only had 39,000....we have some stuff in common....to only have few mods your cars pulls good....see my future in my sig.....I only have right now intake and exhaust....but you have a 5speed and I have auto....your car is off tha chain with the new rims...man I love those 5 Zigen GT-8's......
Old 05-28-2001, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic
I've noticed that other Maxima owners seem to always want to hang together when driving. Last night on the way to work 2 other 4th gens and 5th gen and myself flew down I-95 from Stamford down into NYC, with all the Maxs and a random Legend keeping up with each other. On the way back up, I passed one Max, he tails me, then as we pass another Max, he joins in too. Anyone else ever notice this?
Haha, a couple of weeks ago I went to NH to buy some spark plugs for the Maxima. On my way there I came upon 2 Maximas. The first one I saw was a black 5th gen SE and a cute blonde girl was driving it. I was doing like 75-80 mph and I passed her. She was on the left lane and I was in the middle lane. Then she switches to the middle lane and stayed there. About 5 minutes later I passed a beige 4th gen GLE. The driver of the GLE stayed behind the 5th gen and I was leading the pack. I took the exit and I checked my rearview mirror and they were still behind me!

The funny part was that we were all going to the same Nissan dealer. I got out of my car and smiled at the blonde chick and told her that she got a nice looking car. She smiled and said thank you. I went in to buy the spark plugs and she went somewhere else.
Old 05-28-2001, 09:14 AM

Congrats Brian on hanging with teh S4. And yes, they do make them in auto. I didnt believe till i actually walked into the dealer and took a peek aorund. Its basically a tip tronic thing. Auto but you can smack the shifter back and forth to shift. Not like the Lexus "thumb" push bottons either.