4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

D. Martin HELP! Flywheel probs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 09:52 AM

I recently ordered an ACT/300z combo clutch along with a lightened flywheel. When i took the stock fly off, I noticed that there were 8 bolts mounting it to the engine, and the new fly only has six holes. Where there 2 different flys made in 1996 or did the shop just screw up? The clutch seems to be the right size and all, just that the fly has the wrong number of holes. I ordered it from Clutch Specialties in Fullerton, CA, and I will be posting info on how they handle the situation, but I just wanted to know whose fault this is.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 05-28-2001, 10:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by danielbu
I recently ordered an ACT/300z combo clutch along with a lightened flywheel. When i took the stock fly off, I noticed that there were 8 bolts mounting it to the engine, and the new fly only has six holes. Where there 2 different flys made in 1996 or did the shop just screw up? The clutch seems to be the right size and all, just that the fly has the wrong number of holes. I ordered it from Clutch Specialties in Fullerton, CA, and I will be posting info on how they handle the situation, but I just wanted to know whose fault this is.

Thanks,

My Stilllen Alluminum Flywheel has 8 holes. So I don't think 6 is right, good luck.

Dan
Old 05-28-2001, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by danielbu

Thanks,

Dan
If your old flywheel has 8 bolt holes you need a new one with 8 bolt holes. It's just as simple as that.

I checked several references and the results were inconclusive. The '99 Maxima factory service manual shows 8 holes. The Chilton repair manual shows 8 holes. The Haynes repair manual shows 6 holes but I think they wrongly used photos of the VG30DE engine. The Stillen on-line catalog shows 8 holes.

Please contact your vendor and inquire about this.