4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOS kit on Jc whitney site.. how much hp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 05:02 PM

Just wonderin how much hp this kit will give me.. and what else i will need to do
Old 05-28-2001, 08:10 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Order kit #5124 deal ends June 1st

Originally posted by SterlingMistMax
Just wonderin how much hp this kit will give me.. and what else i will need to do

The kit is adjustable. It comes with jets you change out to change the HP increase. It comes with a 40,50, and 60, but you can purchase additional nozzles with varying power levels. Read this: http://www.clubmaxima.com/articles/N...ForParties.php Thanks Mardigrasmax. It is very informative and will answer most of your questions. Currently there are three people that I know of including myself installing this kit from JCwhitney, and many others on this board have been using it for quite some time. You will need some gauges and other items, but read Matt's write up and feel free to shoot me any questions you have. I will answer the best I can or redirect you to someone who can. Good luck. Remember, you only have a couple days left!!!
Old 05-28-2001, 08:16 PM

My kit came with a 50, 60, 70 shot.
Old 05-28-2001, 08:44 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by Synki
Yeah, that's what I meant. all my parts are in the garage or installed though. sorry for the bum scoop.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:37 PM

I'm very interested in getting NOS.......mainly becuase of $$ reasons and because personally I think it is actually not as harmful for the engine as a supercharger is (10.5:1 stock compression, over 12:1 with the S/C)

I just had a few questions...and yes I did read Matt's write up and found it VERY helpful.

Is there a wet kit available for the maxima?? If so...is it recommended over the dry kit??

Also...I read the part about retarding the timing of the engine...but how the heck do you do that on a 97-99 4th gen....and is it really needed???

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 05-28-2001, 11:54 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I'm very interested in getting NOS.......mainly becuase of $$ reasons and because personally I think it is actually not as harmful for the engine as a supercharger is (10.5:1 stock compression, over 12:1 with the S/C)

I just had a few questions...and yes I did read Matt's write up and found it VERY helpful.

Is there a wet kit available for the maxima?? If so...is it recommended over the dry kit??

Also...I read the part about retarding the timing of the engine...but how the heck do you do that on a 97-99 4th gen....and is it really needed???

Thanks for all the help guys!

Wet kit... Don't know, but I'm sure a custom kit can be set up rather easily. I don't think there is actually a maxima specific NOS kit on the market, it just happens to be you can use some of them on the Max.
1Max2nv has a really sweet looking direct port setup, but as of writing, I don't think he's run it yet. From what I've heard/read, direct port requires a lot more tuning, but is worth it for the power and safety, but thats all secondhand info so...
Retarding the timing...Right now, the only way to retard the timing is through the ECU. JWT offers a NOS specific ECU, which I believe is in the ballpark of $900. It retards the timing during NOS use and takes a lot of the control and automates or 'dummy proofs' it. It has to be set up for a specific shot though, so you would have to send it back to get reprogrammed if you wanted to run a different shot. I think GForce also offered to make a NOS program, but it would require losing your ECU for quite some time as they do not have a program written yet, and would have to figure one out, which could take a lot of time and money. Good luck
Old 05-28-2001, 11:59 PM

so it's not necessary to retard the timing??? I'm not going to spend 900 bones for that. Plus it won't even work in my '97 max anyway. How many people on here with NOS actually have a ECU daughterboard to retard the timing???
Old 05-29-2001, 12:37 AM

Well I ordered that kit from JCWhitney! Now I just have to save the money for the rest of the stuff so I can put it in!

-Bri
Old 05-29-2001, 01:11 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Well I ordered that kit from JCWhitney! Now I just have to save the money for the rest of the stuff so I can put it in!

-Bri
Congrats
Old 05-29-2001, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Technically my kit came with 50, 60, 70, 75
Originally posted by Synki
Old 05-29-2001, 08:57 PM

i finally got to spray today.
Old 05-29-2001, 09:24 PM

About the NOS kit

Which level is suitable for my car? I have a 98 GXE with an Auto, and I am buying a Greddy Cat Back by the weekend. Would anyone recommend this, or just let it go. I don't wanna sink alot of money into it. But I wanna make it quick for less than about 1k.
Old 05-29-2001, 11:23 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: About the NOS kit

Originally posted by Maximus98
Which level is suitable for my car? I have a 98 GXE with an Auto, and I am buying a Greddy Cat Back by the weekend. Would anyone recommend this, or just let it go. I don't wanna sink alot of money into it. But I wanna make it quick for less than about 1k.
a 50 or 60 shot, depending on your other mods. After that, you need to upgrade your fuel system to handle a higher shot of NOS.
Old 05-30-2001, 03:09 PM

Re: About the NOS kit

Originally posted by Maximus98

You wil be fine with a 40, 50, or 60 shot.

Personally i only have the CAI & VB mod as far as other mods. I will be adding others soon after im done with this whole system.

It will def cost under 1g for this whole setup with everything. I wont be feeling the FULL potential of the NOS till i ahve full exhaust. The car can breath not exhaul ya know what i mean?
Old 05-30-2001, 06:56 PM

Re: Re: About the NOS kit

Well i was going to get NOS. I have the kit from JC Whitney sitting right here. I ordered gauges, a window switch, bottle heater, and all kinds of other ****. But then i thought
"Im only 17 years old, and I might kill myself because I havent had my license for even a year"
So i sent all the gauges and **** back to Summitt, and I have this kit BRAND NEW, never opened, from JC Whitney here ready to sell to anyone thats buying. I think I might wait till JC whitney raises their price back to 500, and sell it for like 430 or somethin so I can make some dough. Im glad I made this decision though, it could have saved my life !
Old 05-30-2001, 09:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: About the NOS kit

Originally posted by cRedrum
Well i was going to get NOS. I have the kit from JC Whitney sitting right here. I ordered gauges, a window switch, bottle heater, and all kinds of other ****. But then i thought
"Im only 17 years old, and I might kill myself because I havent had my license for even a year"
So i sent all the gauges and **** back to Summitt, and I have this kit BRAND NEW, never opened, from JC Whitney here ready to sell to anyone thats buying. I think I might wait till JC whitney raises their price back to 500, and sell it for like 430 or somethin so I can make some dough. Im glad I made this decision though, it could have saved my life !
BOO TO THAT :P

j/k anyway...probably a smart decision...I'm a much more mature person with respect to driving that I was when I was 17 (I'm 21 now) and I probably would have killed myself with nitrious then...so good move man...I can't wait to get my kit thought.....damn thing is backordered on JC whitney....
Old 05-30-2001, 09:41 PM

Wanna sell it for cheaper?

LOL Jk. What kind of kit is it? I am sure I can find it somewhere for cheap. I am gettin a Cattman SS Y pipe, and Greddy Cat Back. I think I am going to rig a CAI kit from my old Mustang Cold Air kit. Home Depot, and stuff laying around means a bit more HP.
Old 05-31-2001, 06:46 AM

Re: Wanna sell it for cheaper?

I dont know, Its the exact kit for the 240sx, 300, and the maxima. Its brand new, and im going to sell it for like 430.Once the price goes up.