4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help please-just finished brakes all around

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 03:02 PM

Help please-just finished brakes all around

Man this is startin to really bug me. Last weekend i replaced the right rear caliper, and then last night (tuesday) i received my brembo blanks(front) and RTP blanks(rear) with the Ultimate pads, the SS brake lines, and blue brake fluid. I started late (8pm) and i only got the front rotors pads done and this morning i did the rear and bled the holy crap out of all calipers. But when i took it for a test drive, it just doesnt feel right. I feel kinda ignorant cuz here i am a graduate of UTI WITH toyota and i cant figure out what the hell is wrong.
i was talkin to a tech i work with and he told me to be careful with the blue brake fluid, so i freaked out seeing how my car is 8 years old with I BELIEVE factory pads/rotors fluid. (87K) so i went to autozone and purchased a 32oz of Prestone Brake fluid.
to begin with, the brake lines that connects from the hard line to the flexible line, the bolt was seized or something cuz i sprayed it with PB blaster let it sit for 25 min and it just kept trying to round itself out, so SS lines is out of the picture.
2) After test driving it, i get like a "WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP" while driving, and a scraping sound (this sound [scraping] i presume is normal cuz our lexus at work do that with new brake jobs)
3) For those who have replace pads and rotors, what do u do to break them in?
4) should i have used the Blue brake fluid instead of prestone brake dot 3 for the "performance pads/rotors" i got?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What do you mean "doesn't feel right"? Doesn't slow? Pulsates? Mushy? Sinks?
What specifically is the blue brake fluid?
Are you getting the "whomp" and scraping sounds only while braking?
For breaking in, search for "burnish" or "burnishing".

Jae
Old 09-21-2005, 06:12 PM

First of all what is "blue brake fluid" and was it dot 3,4, or 5. Second, if you do disc pads all around it is not going to stop like a sports car until the rotors and pads break in. Third, just because you added performace pads, rotors, lines, and fluid does not mean it going to stop on a dime. Oh, and scraping noise is not normal after doing a brake job. Make sure you bleed every caliper properly, you might have air in the system and check the condition of the hoses too.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Blue brake fluid, or Dot 5 as it's called.

DOT 5 fluids are silicon based and are non-hygroscopic, which is good. They are also subject to frothing from high frequency vibration, which gives a soft pedal.

Dot 5 IMHO should only be used for storing your vehicle for long periods of time. It does not absorbe moisture so the system will keep "fresh"' over a long period of time. It should not be used for everyday driving braking systems.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Blue brake fluid, or Dot 5 as it's called.

DOT 5 fluids are silicon based and are non-hygroscopic, which is good. They are also subject to frothing from high frequency vibration, which gives a soft pedal.

Dot 5 IMHO should only be used for storing your vehicle for long periods of time. It does not absorbe moisture so the system will keep "fresh"' over a long period of time. It should not be used for everyday driving braking systems.

gr8 job!! cudnt say it better
Old 09-22-2005, 08:28 AM
VK56 Inside

I use ATE Super Blue Fluid for my every day driving and it feels just fine. I dont think the issue you are seeing is because of fluid. My original lines were a bish to get off too. I definately agree with bleeding the system further. Also make sure there are no leaks on the bleeders or the lines going into the calipers. I just replaced one of my calipers and didnt tighten the bleeder enough. Needless to say my brakes were mushy and I had nice mess to clean up. As for breaking them in, you can also search for brake bedding.

A few after thoughts. Did you check to see if all of the sliding bolts 2 per each caliper were free moving? These are known to seize sometimes.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Maxima Owner

i would re-bleed all ur lines....that would be the first place to start.....
Old 09-22-2005, 09:16 AM
Do I get a tax break?

1. scraping could be a brake dust sheild rubbing the rotors
2. did you clean/relube the caliper slide pins? they are prone to seizing and you might be hearing the pad rubbing against the rotors.
3. did you make sure the hub/rotor mating surface was nice and clean (with a wire brush) - to make sure the rotors sits nice and flat?
4. are you sure your parking brake cables aren't binding - they could also be causing the rear brakes to drag - making sounds.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:29 PM

correct me if i am wrong... but isn't dot 5 brake fluid not compatible with dot 3... (however dot 4 and 5.1 is)
also you need to bed them in. whomp whomp sound coulb be an iregular surface on the rotor, or even the pad vibrating in the clips (possibly getting hung up on a bad clip or something... make sure all of the rotors are grabbing... jack the car up and spin the wheel with your hand then have a friend push the brake in and see if you can spin it.

also when bleeding the calipers try tapping them with a hammer to make any trapped air bubbles come out... all i can think of