4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

!!!!!!!!!$20 Money Order for assistance!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 06:10 PM

!!!!!!!!!$20 Money Order for assistance!!!!!!!!!

I recently acquired a black auto-dimming mirror out of a 1997 Infiniti I30. But what I need help with is the wiring. I went to my local mechanic and he quoted me at $65 and then a guy down the street from me told me that he'd do it for $50. Now I don't want to spend a ton on this, so this is why I call on your assistance.

Basically, I have the 4 wires (black, green w/blue stripe, red w/blue stripe, red w/yellow stripe) that lead from the mirror, into the harness, and after the harness I have about 6 inches of each wire and nothing more. I have the mirror physically installed, and have lead the wires through the headlining to the a-pillar, then I don't have any more wire and don't know what to do. I figured that the black/redw/yellow are the powe but don't know what the other red and green are? I have no clue how to wire this thing up and I really would like to get it done. So I don't know what sort of connections I can make.

I literally spent about 1 hour looking all over the org and on Google/AV, and I came up with nothing.

Since you guys have been around longer than I you may recall something like this. It could be as simple as bringing up something off your favorites.

Anyone that can construct a detailed (front to back) description, preferably with pictures or diagrams get's a $20 Money Order to your doorstep.

P.S.
It's nothing aftermarket, just the OEM mirror, and it has no temp/compass, just the dimming settings.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 09-24-2005, 06:48 PM
I Broke OT

i don't think you have to put the cash up like cuz as long as you have searched and you ask nicely, people will help you out.
sorry, no advice from myself, but someone will chime in here.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:49 PM

Why would you just buy an auto dimming mirror? My guess is you can always write to nissan for some type of assistance. Me I am stuck manually tilting my mirror.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Armelius
Why would you just buy an auto dimming mirror? My guess is you can always write to nissan for some type of assistance. Me I am stuck manually tilting my mirror.

I like this auto-dimming mirror and I got it for free along with rear seats with headrests.

The offer is still up for whoever can help me.

P.S. I don't think that the red/green have anything to do with some sort of sensor because the sensor is in the back of the mirror itself. Perhaps they just re-direct power between the Day and Auto settings?

I know that you could all use the money.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:41 PM

Location: a charming town in Connecticut first settled in the 1600s
i've been dying to do this mod but haven't found a mirror yet... if anyone out there has a black i30 mirror for sale, let me know!!

and here's your info: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=379326
Old 09-24-2005, 07:41 PM
oh noes!!!!1111

Ok, heres the deal with the four wire connector.. I installed an auto dimming mirror in my max a while back and there isnt any connector pre-wired in the maxima for an autodimming mirror.. I got the wiring diagram from an I-30 to figure out where each wire was supposed to be hooked up..
*black goes to ground
*red/yellow wire goes to the illumination control switch on the dash under the gauge cluster
*red/blue goes to the light switch fuse #18 7.5A in the fuse panel which is by the hood release, the wire coming from this fuse should be a blue/yellow wire
*green/blue goes to any 12v switched on/start source.

I used splice terminals that you put the factory wire in one side and your lead wire in the other and as you crimp the connector it punctures both wires creating your circuit, this way I didnt have to cut any factory wiring. You can find these types of splice caps at any local hardware store or home improvement warehouse.

If you dont care about the buttons lighting up and or dimming when you turn the headlights on then you dont have to worry about the red/yellow or red/blue wires, you can just hook up the ground wire to a good ground and the green/blue to a 12v source and it should work.

credit to seth99gxe
Old 09-25-2005, 04:45 AM

Wow, you 2 posted at the exact time with equally useful info.

So I'm pming you each for your addy's.