4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

PVC Valve Opps

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 02:24 PM

PVC Valve Opps

Hey gang. I need some advice about the replacement of the PVC grommet and the valve. I bought both to replace. The grommet was a bit shredded since I tried to pry out the pvc valve so I had to buy one. Well, I started to install both, the Valve and the grommet, grommet first. It did not fit too well, so I tried putting the grommet over the valve and stick it in the hole but did not work out to well. I may not be applying enough pressure for both to fit. Thought it was the valve being to large and as a whole can not fit in the hole. Any thoughts??? I need to get this in. I will upload a digital pic later today.

Me...help!!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 02:29 PM

wer did u get the PVC or PCV valve?!? got mine at autozone! yea, u gonna have to force it to get it back in.. here's a link that might help!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....4&page=1&pp=30
Old 10-11-2005, 09:35 PM

Yeah. I got mine at autozone too. The grommet is from the stealership. Not a bad purchase though, however, did some damage to the grommet. Once back in place it should not be a problem. Just looks really bad in its place and its at least 1/2 inch out of position where is sits. That could just contribute to poor gas mileage right now. I will work on it while the engine is warm since the rubber just might slip into place due to heating the rubber grommet. Wish me luck and thanks.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by blkmaxz95
Hey gang. I need some advice about the replacement of the PVC grommet and the valve. I bought both to replace. The grommet was a bit shredded since I tried to pry out the pvc valve so I had to buy one. Well, I started to install both, the Valve and the grommet, grommet first. It did not fit too well, so I tried putting the grommet over the valve and stick it in the hole but did not work out to well. I may not be applying enough pressure for both to fit. Thought it was the valve being to large and as a whole can not fit in the hole. Any thoughts??? I need to get this in. I will upload a digital pic later today.

Me...help!!!!
I think there is only Pvc valve, never heard of pvc grommet. when I replaced it, I did find the old one had a grommet, but the new one I got from autozone doesn't have this grommet. and it seems that the new one doen't need that.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:51 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by kisas
I think there is only Pvc valve, never heard of pvc grommet. when I replaced it, I did find the old one had a grommet, but the new one I got from autozone doesn't have this grommet. and it seems that the new one doen't need that.
Yes, there is a grommet.
11812-41B00, $9.05 each at Courtesy

How can you say you've 'never heard of it' when you then state that your old one had a grommet?

The grommet sits in the valve cover, it's not normally removed unless you damaged it and are replacing it. Yes, you need the grommet; that's the only thing holding the PCV valve in place (aside from the hose on top).

4 year old thread...

Last edited by pmohr; 07-10-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:03 PM

I had the same replacement,

Got the grommet from autozone and had the PCV valve ordered. When your installing, (its not too difficult) find a socket that is big enough to fit around the entire PCV valve head once the grommet has already been installed and just press with the torque wrench attached for extra leverage. It takes ALOOTTTT of force to get it in, Put your body into it.

if your have a strut bar or anything in the way, like the throttle cables, MOVE EM. its worth it.'

work smarter, not harder. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:04 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by exsjulio
I had the same replacement,

Got the grommet from autozone and had the PCV valve ordered. When your installing, (its not too difficult) find a socket that is big enough to fit around the entire PCV valve head once the grommet has already been installed and just press with the torque wrench attached for extra leverage. It takes ALOOTTTT of force to get it in, Put your body into it.

if your have a strut bar or anything in the way, like the throttle cables, MOVE EM. its worth it.'

work smarter, not harder. Good luck!
Easier, just spray some WD or similar and it'll slide right in.