4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Nearly Died...Excuse for Suspension and Brakes Now

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:23 PM

Nearly Died...Excuse for Suspension and Brakes Now

Well..tonight i nearly died ( i make it sound so easy-going dont i ... ) ...was goin down a stree right next to my house, speed liimit, 45, Me? , 35...hydroplaned , deep *** puddle, bal tires...was a rap...car just did a good 1080 cuz i started to try and compensate the direction the car was spinning, so im about to hit a van so i think really fast ( in an AUTO ) ..i shift it into reverse, FLOOR IT, and throw up the handbrake 4 seconds later, i literally spint directly aroudn teh parked van....van was fine...good for insurance, but then the back rear slammed into the curve and climbed the sidewalk, ....after pulling out a little bit i noticed my rear right tire wouldnt move at all, was dragging, so i popped the hood, and whoeveri bought the car from had a full size tire and somethign for me 2 get the nuts off with in the trunk, lucky..me..., prop the car up ....change the tire...drive for a little bit...and everythign is PERFECt...well cept for the fact that like when the wheel hits a certain point i hear a rubbing noise...too ka look at the tires ( back left and back front ) and they seem pretty much the same...dunno what i did...gotta hit up the mechanic tomorow but i figure well seeing as im DEFINETLY replacing my rotors, brake pads, and suspension after this whole ordeal, decided to get you guys opinion on what's the best out there...i dont really race it....ok im lying but still, lol ..im probably gonna get tokico blues or somethin, i dont want a stiff, bumpy a$$ ride...a ride that's as close to stock as possible but still lower, one where ican change the stiffness settings myself or w/e....new to the whole thing...most people would be shook after my nite,....20 minutes later i wanted to see if i could get rid of the noise and was doign burnouts in the local parking lot....west indian people are crazy .....any opinions on what type of rotors, brake pads, suspension ( springs, struts, w/e ) and tires i should go with..i plan to get some 18' DAAT rims, black with polished lip...wat type of tires should i get...
Old 10-12-2005, 10:27 PM
dot dot dot ...

est thread evAr ...

I bet you screwed up your rear strut/hub assembly... S E A R C H for suspension/tire options ...

Old 10-12-2005, 10:46 PM

one day i hope to see you post something positive and not off-topic....anyways..any idea's anyone?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:57 PM
dot dot dot ...

one day i hope to see you post something positive and not off-topic....anyways..any idea's anyone?
As far as me posting something 'useful' ... it all depends on what's 'useful' to you ...

There are posts/threads with useful discussions regarding each and every one of your questions .. and answers them more than once, and probably over a dozen times ..... it's too bad you cannot do your own research.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
est thread evAr ...

I bet you screwed up your rear strut/hub assembly... S E A R C H for suspension/tire options ...

i dont care what u think, he's asking for help. u can tell him to do research or whatever but u didnt have to insult the guy.

that was uncalled for.

scoobay, if i were you i'd get tokico illuminas (sp?) with Htech springs. and for tires get all season with the dimensions of 235/40/18.

as for brakes go with stillen.com their brembo blanks with hawk pads will do just fine for you.

and to get better handling get a rear sway bar.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:27 PM

Damn bro, I did that today with 5 of my friends in the car today, took a turn to fast and the car slide right into opposing traffic, it was like there was no tires and I had a hovercraft lolol. I felt so helpless like I couldn't help my car do what it wants. By the time I realized what was happening the car started gaining control I guess all the weight helped. I was lucky no one was coming in the other direction.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:34 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Great, your only 17 and already driving like an idiot... with a load of people in the car! Nice story, out risking people's lives and raising ALL of our insurance rates. good job, kid.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 PM

I didn't drive like an idiot, I was doing about 15-20 because I know the turn since it's on the way home from school. But the water was really high and the car like floated. I dunno what happened but scared the **** out of me. Trust me I don't drive like an *** because it's not my car and if I wreck it I got no more car lolol.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:43 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

So what your saying is you know the turn but not how to drive? You have to adjust your speed depending on the conditions you know. You cannot drive the same speed in the rain as you do on dry pavement. This may sound rudimentary, but it's readily apparent you don't understand that.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:52 PM

Ahhh ca mon man I did take it slower, but everything was the flooded. I know how to drive but I never drove past there when it was flooded like that, I've never seen the streets as flooded as they were today. Ima kill it from here and let you think what you want. I don't feel like hi-jacking the thread.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:08 AM

living in cali...i can tell u right now that ppl dont adjust their driving habits with the weather.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by cefiro8701
living in cali...i can tell u right now that ppl dont adjust their driving habits with the weather.
hahahaha omg. so true.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:59 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

I lived in Cali for 23 yrs, I know how bad the drivers can be...

This post makes no sense though... You let your tires get bald, your own mistake, almost kill yourself and damage other people's property because your priorities are greater than everyone else's, and that is now a GOOD excuse to upgrade your suspension and brakes? How about this, buy some new tires, and no, not some cheap $35 special from Big-0 tire, get some real good all season tires. If you don't have ABS, no brake pad/tire combination is going to keep you from sliding in the rain, so look up the word modulate. Take the rest of your hard earned money, and stick it in the bank. Keep it there, until you need things like new tires, then you won't endanger your life and all of those around you.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Scooby - You need to get some good tires.
Elmo - What were you doing on a turn when its raining.

The Whole NYC area and North NJ has looked like a flood. I saw a clip on the News where some dude was riding a wave runner on the street. You know its been raining non stop for 3 days already. I swear the meteroligist said we got close to 3 inches alone yesterday breaking all rainfall records. Stop thinking yall invincible.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:06 AM

happened to me over the summer in a rain storm. tires were bald, it blew out and i lost control and hit a curb.. it was a reminder that i need to drive slower in the rain [shiet i know its obvious, but i thought i was superior with my suspension and brakes. guess not] and not to be cheap on tires...

scoobay, if you hit that curb, most likely you bent the rear control arm. i dont even think thats a word, but whatever holds up the rear hub is definately bent, nd most likely your strut is bent too. and if u hit it hard enuff so is the rear hub. same shiet happened to me but except in the front.. but most likely u bent something around the rear hub i hope its not the beam, and possibly the strut.

btw i feel sorry for your tranny! you slammed that bich in reverse at that speed..wow
Old 10-13-2005, 09:20 AM

no rear control arm, its all a solid axle back there.

After your incident you should be saying "its a good excuse to get new tires" you have have excellent brakes and a new suspension setup but you'll still hydroplane if your tires cant grip. You would spend all that money on new brakes and suspension, just for this to happen again except you'd total your car.

Buy some Toyo Proxy 4 all season tires. Read about toyo proxy 4
Old 10-13-2005, 09:25 AM

You guys need to learn how do drive...Take a drivers ed course or something and learn how to control your car in a situation like that. Theres no reason you should be riding on bald tires anyway. The least you could do is go to the junkyard and try to find some decent ones. Instead of spending your money and usless crap that only helps you look good, get some good tires and call it a day. Good performance and/or all season tires make the world of a difference. Common sense

Edit: Mdeezy...I had Toyo Proxxes 4 on my last car...good all seasons for the money
Old 10-13-2005, 10:18 AM

Scooooobay and elmo REALLY need to learn how to drive....Scooobay you need TYPE COMPLETE SENTENCES, not a bunch of garbage run-ons ... also DO RESEARCH, this is an org right???..theres plenty of information if you just TAKE A LOOK AROUND...look through the previous threads...

why is everyone so quick to post...OH NO, my brakes are bad, better post up RATHER
than do 30 minutes worth of research

also, im gonna tell you whats best for you... brembo blanks, oem pads w/ shim kit for no squeaking .... suspension is up to you, most springs are good just depends on the height you want.... struts go with illuminas or agx's
Old 10-13-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

I did a 1080 once. ONCE! Sure got dizzy
Old 10-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ThisMaxIsTight
Scooooobay and elmo REALLY need to learn how to drive....Scooobay you need TYPE COMPLETE SENTENCES, not a bunch of garbage run-ons ... also DO RESEARCH, this is an org right???..theres plenty of information if you just TAKE A LOOK AROUND...look through the previous threads...

why is everyone so quick to post...OH NO, my brakes are bad, better post up RATHER
than do 30 minutes worth of research

also, im gonna tell you whats best for you... brembo blanks, oem pads w/ shim kit for no squeaking .... suspension is up to you, most springs are good just depends on the height you want.... struts go with illuminas or agx's
Speaking of complete sentences, how about some sentence structure?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:44 AM

You are a piece of work Scooobay aren't you? You're driving around on bald tires, proceed to do a 1080 likely causing you to fill your pants, and 20 minutes later you're doing burnouts in a parking lot.

Buy some decent tires and call it a day. Save the money on the Toyo Proxes 4. Buy BF Goodrich Traction TAs or Michelin Hydoedge, both good in the rain, and spend the difference on some driving lessons!
Old 10-13-2005, 11:44 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

get kyb agx's or illuminas (<-preferably), and if you want a low drop like mine, get s-techs, but if you're worried about ride quality, and want a more luxurious ride, get the Tein H-tech springs, or H&R's. Brakes are brakes, get good ones, like raybestos (pads) and OEM blanks. I lucked out by finding a set of almost new pads at the junkyard lol. I don't have ABS, an it's a bit harder to stop in the rain, but you do, so it's not as much of a problem for you. Well, hope you're ok, if you decide to do your suspension and brakes, i'll def help you out.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bobo
You are a piece of work Scooobay aren't you? You're driving around on bald tires, proceed to do a 1080 likely causing you to fill your pants, and 20 minutes later you're doing burnouts in a parking lot.

Buy some decent tires and call it a day. Save the money on the Toyo Proxes 4. Buy BF Goodrich Traction TAs or Michelin Hydoedge, both good in the rain, and spend the difference on some driving lessons!
beautiful !
Old 10-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Wild for Width

Everyone always states how SLOW or how NORMAL the circumstances were, and how good of a driver they REALLY are. Get over it, sometimes you can get in over your head with a car no matter how fast or how slow you are going and no matter what the conditions.

The fact is, there were hundreds of cars that went through the same conditions and managed not to slide all over the road.

Keep your car in good repair (tires, brakes, maint.) and work on your driving.

Scoobay, I am not trying to insult you. I direct this towards all of these threads on "spun out @ 20mph . ."
Old 10-13-2005, 02:11 PM

i hydroplained an totalled my first max coming up thru Conneticut on 395 N just before exit clear weather,but it had rained for 2-3 days before so there was a pretty big puddle that crossed the highway, (an i was speeding) 85 thru it. all that hit the guardrail was my trunk then i came to a stop in the direction i started. i drove it home then found out my license plate was gone and bumper ripped apart. the only good that came out of it was the insurance $$$$ that got me my 5 spd which i x ferred all my old parts from the auto to the 5 spd end of story
Old 10-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Thats the longest incomprehensible sentance i've ever read on here.
Perhaps an english class and a set of tires would do you good.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
1. New tires.
2. English class.
3. Driving class.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm needing a caw

njmaxseltd,

What kind of vagina stimulator model Buck Rogers X9900 from the year 2128 type of shift **** is that?

Old 10-13-2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
njmaxseltd,

What kind of vagina stimulator model Buck Rogers X9900 from the year 2128 type of shift **** is that?

It looks like a golf club!
Old 10-13-2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Perhaps an English for yourself..... sentence, not sentance... j/k No insult meant here, just joining in on the fun.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 99SEL4ME
Perhaps an English for yourself..... sentence, not sentance... j/k No insult meant here, just joining in on the fun.
I'm glad to see that you capitalized English, unlike the author of the sentence.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 99SEL4ME
Perhaps an English what, an English Bulldog, an English muffin, perhaps we all could use an English !!!
Old 10-13-2005, 04:49 PM
brooklynK3Y

Back to TOPIC.. I have H - Techs paired with Agx Struts and on 17 " rims.. So if you want a luxury drop like the bmw's come stock, get H - Techs'(1.6 In Front, 1.2 in Back)like I do, or Eibach, H & R Springs also would do you good. . i have my H - Tech's settled meaning front and back is same height because of my system in trunk. If you want serious drop, Go for S - Tech's. For brakes, if you REALLLY have the money, do the BBK setup.. But if not, Brembo Blanks and either Stock Pads or Hawk Pads will do you good.

I had a experience like you though, i hit a big puddle going about 20 in rain, car felt like it was hovering for like 1 quick sec, but i got steer of it back.. Suspension = Good.. So i'd do suspension first, then brakes.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:18 PM

to those who said " get some new tires get some new tires " ...if you would of read my post i said that im gonna completely do my suspension, rims, tires, everything and was loooking for opinions....so definetly said i planend on gettin tires but maybe only i can read. Besides that, i was looking into getting H-techs, Brembo Blanks, Hawk Pads, 18's on Toyo Proxies,fstb, rstb, front and rear sway bar....good selection?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Wild for Width

Well obviously your foul weather driving itsn't at it's peak so I would say some ALL-SEASON tires should do nicely.

You didn't mention any struts, please don't get springs and throw them on stock struts. I think everyone IS sharing their opinion, TIRES are most important.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Scooobay
to those who said " get some new tires get some new tires " ...if you would of read my post i said that im gonna completely do my suspension, rims, tires, everything and was loooking for opinions....so definetly said i planend on gettin tires but maybe only i can read. Besides that, i was looking into getting H-techs, Brembo Blanks, Hawk Pads, 18's on Toyo Proxies,fstb, rstb, front and rear sway bar....good selection?
It depends on how many miles are on your car and what condition it is in.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:14 PM

So you nearly die and decide to massively overhual the suspension to what prevent this from happening again? Only thing you need to do to prevent this is get proper tires, this extra brembo blanks, hawk pads, 18's etc is just childs play if your trying to prevent what happened from happening again. The only contact to the road the car has is thru the wheels start there. But if you were going to get new tires but planned on upping to 18's with all that extra stuff you listed then have fun.

fr33way. You what I did when I almost died due to bad tires. I bought new tires before posting online how I almost died online!!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

Entire suspension can wait a month.

NEW TIRES should be bought THIS WEEKEND before you KILL SOMEONE.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:37 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Here ya go...
Old 10-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Jimbo1999

Thats one way to realize you need to fix your car

Quick Reply: Nearly Died...Excuse for Suspension and Brakes Now