4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How much force is required to pull out drive axles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much force is required to pull out drive axles?

How much force is required to pull the left and right drive axles out? I need to replace the left drive axle (torn CV boot) and I can’t get it out. IT IS IN THERE! The manual says to remove the right axle and use a screwdriver to knock the left axle out. BUT I CAN'T pull the right axle out. I have removed the 3 bolts in the supporting bracket and I pulled as hard as I can but that right axle won’t move.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2005, 10:50 AM
SLOW

Gah what manual said to remove the right axle to get the left axle out? That's retarded, and lots more work than is necessary. I've removed the left drive axle about 10 times and I've only removed the right axle about 3.

Anyways, there is a retaining ring on the end of the left axle that holds it snugly in the trans. It can sometimes be really difficult. Best bet is to get a prybar from a parts/hardware store, undo all the bolts (obviously you've got to get the axle out of the spindle so you can pull outwards on it, undo the strut bolts, etc) and then stick the pry bar between the transmission housing and the dust shield thingy on the axle. Don't worry about the dust shield, you'll destroy it but if you are replacing the axle you will get a new one anyways. Stick the pry bar in there and start prying. It can be pretty tough sometimes. On some occasions it has required all my strength to pry it out, and on others it's been very easy. It depends how much that retaining clip has expanded in there. Since you've already got the right axle out, if you can get a buddy to use the screwdriver method and bang on the screwdriver from the other side with a hammer or mallet while you pry on the axle you should definately be able to get it out.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Banned

i had to use a cold chisel and bang at the lip where he ring and axel meet every time i have removed them. which is about 8 on a maxima now. just hit it hard. the prybar meathod might work as well but i feel a sharp impact works best. good luck.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:35 PM

if your talking about the left side there is a bearing that is atatched to the motor, i had to chisel it apart, after that it pulled right out, as for having to remove the other axle to take the left side out thats garbage. all you need is a large hammer and a chisel dont use a screw drive it wont be strong enough. good luck
Old 10-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is putting the axles in be just as difficult as taking them out?

Thanks