4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

DR question.........sort of??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 06:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

DR question.........sort of??

1. The DR mod works by causing a very[U] high ohm loads. which in turn causes the tranny to increase the fluid pessure to max......correct?
2. Well if (1) is Correct then it seem to reason that you should be able to control the amount of pressure in the tranny by increasing and/decreasing the amount of ohms in the DR. and therefore the tranny sees...correct?
3. Which in turn sould give you a variable pressure?
4. So as and engineer by training what is to stoping me from creating var. ohm load. DR. which would change the line pressure based on infomation from the tps? Is there something I'm not seeing? If anyone in here knows why this would not work please let me know. I haven't yet bench tested the DR so as a right now the ohm loads are unknown.
5. Also the DR also connects to the fuel pump. Does this affect it in anyway(presure up/down)? Will it change the air/fuel mixture?
6. If I was to make such a thing how many poeple would be interested in it as a plug and play device?
7. Or Am I just
Old 11-10-2005, 06:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

Jime has tried using a potentiometer to vary shift behavior... Didn't work..
Old 11-10-2005, 07:01 AM

Yeah I remember him talking about doing this before. He has a large thread in the nitrous forum about the DR mod.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....2&page=1&pp=30
Old 11-10-2005, 07:43 AM

I guess I am
Old 11-10-2005, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by buttonhook
I guess I am
no at least you have a logical reasoning for your statement, unlike others on here
Old 11-10-2005, 08:47 AM

Yes, actually its makes a whole lot of sense that it should work, unfortunately it seems like it acts just like a switch, its either on or off when you change the resistance. You can gradually change the resistance and bingo when you get to a certain point it just completely changes.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:17 PM

maybe the resistance range is just so small that it seems like an on or off thing?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Doggah Bite...

woa...
I swear I was thinking about doing the same exact thing this past weekend, that's freaky
Old 11-10-2005, 04:24 PM

Actually I like it being full on at WOT and stock the rest of the time. I shifts fine at part throttle so I really don't want to change it.

I have had three 4th Gens and one 5.5 Gen and the 5.5 is the slowest by far at shifting and the 95 lsd is the fastest. I took my old 4 Gen 95 which is bone stock to the last race of the season and fixed up a DR switch and couldn't believe it gives a really healthy chirp on the 1-2 shift even with slicks. The 5.5 wouldn't even chirp with nitrous on the 1-2.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:39 AM

I may have to do some more testing!
Does it effect the fuel pump??
It is on the same circuit isn't??
Old 11-12-2005, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by buttonhook
I may have to do some more testing!
Does it effect the fuel pump??
It is on the same circuit isn't??
Not sure where you got the idea its on the same circuit as the fuel pump. My schematics don't show any connection that I can see.

Its been about 3 years now since I did most of my testing trying to find a way to control the pressure and haven't persued it any further because it does everything I really want it too.

Have been looking at the TransGo shift kit and was going to install it but really don't see how it would help me with my requirements. However they are pretty inexpensive (about $50) and apparently work well for those that have installed it compared to buying the regual VB mod.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:26 AM

In my schematics it does show a connection to the fuel pump. I will try to scan it in tommorrow.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:00 PM

I have the DR on a WOT switch and i totally love it how it is. Like it was said above Jime tried controlling the resistance of the resistor but it did not work, in my car as you accelerate the shifts get firmer and faster, and when i floor it without DR mod. it shifts kinda hard but i guess not the FULL line of pressure (probably about 90% pressure). thats wen the dr mod comes in handy. in otherwords, to my understanding the drop resistor already changes the resistance depending on the TPS or the RPMs. the best thing is to just use it on a WOT switch like I do and jime as well had it like that.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:19 PM

Sorry button, but it ain't gonna work. The solenoid valve that the
DR is connected to is an on/off type, not proportional.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:19 AM

I've come to that! But it may affect the fuel pump by "dropping" my second question is does anyone know if it does or not?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:23 AM

i would say it does not. I dont think it even interacts with the fuel pump at all.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:28 AM

according to my book it is in the same circiut.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:29 PM

be careful with this. the solenoids in your transmission will definately go bad sooner or later. i would just suggest to get the VB MOD
Old 11-16-2005, 09:37 PM

Alternator/Prop Solenoid

Well, i might sound like an idiot newb by saying this, and that is because i am. But could you somehow put a "proportional solenoid valve" in there and somehow wire it to the alternator, so that the faster the alternator belt spins, the more drop in the resistor you have? does this make any sense or not, but again, i'm an idiot xD. if you do get this thing up n running, i'd be interested in buying it!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:51 PM

doesnt make sense... thats why theres a W.O.T swtich, so the dr only turns off when the car is open at full throttle. much easier concept
Old 11-19-2005, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by eyesack killa
Well, i might sound like an idiot newb by saying this, and that is because i am. But could you somehow put a "proportional solenoid valve" in there and somehow wire it to the alternator, so that the faster the alternator belt spins, the more drop in the resistor you have? does this make any sense or not, but again, i'm an idiot xD. if you do get this thing up n running, i'd be interested in buying it!
To me that does not make sense. The car already does that, thats why the faster you go, the firmer the shifts, the reason we do drop resistor mod is because the car probably only uses 90% of the pressure, so we disconnect it at WOT to use 100% of the pressure for a even harder/faster shift. To my knowledge the drop resistor already gets drop as the speed is increased. just put a WOT switch to it, its not that hard and call it a day. all u gotta worry about is reseting the ecu everytime u go on wot. but hopefully thats not tooo often.