4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What to do in an accident!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:54 PM

What to do in an accident!?!

OK soo, It seems that since this is becoming a problem and all our Rides are getting ephed...i figured it to be a good idea to for warn people on the do's and donts of an accident scene wether at fault or not...
I dont know if this has ever been a topic...or if anyone thinks its a good idea.
I just posted in a kids post sounds like he didnt get enough info. and doesnt really know what to do.

I on the other hand dont even know if i did everything right, but i am was fortunate that i was able to get the insurance company of the person who hit me to clame liablity and to bow down to my needs.
So lets get everyones discusion on this...

Let the flaming begin!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I usually just run
Old 11-15-2005, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by matty
I usually just run
thats what the drunk black guy did when i called the cops....

hmm...
Old 11-15-2005, 09:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

Old 11-15-2005, 09:56 PM

dude I hate to say it but your thread sucks worse than most ive ever seen ... what the ***** is the point of this thread ?... lock it up and ban this guy for a few days ........ UG IDIOT!!!! .. the stupidity of some newbs
Old 11-15-2005, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by ThisMaxIsTight
dude I hate to say it but your thread sucks worse than most ive ever seen ... what the ***** is the point of this thread ?... lock it up and ban this guy for a few days ........ UG IDIOT!!!! .. the stupidity of some newbs
Ah c'mon, it's relevant. If something becomes of this thread, then people who read it will at least be informed of what to do if it ever happens. Maybe it's common sense to you, but to a surprisingly large sum of people it's not.

But really... AFAIK all you can (and should) really do are four things:
-get the other driver's info... ALL of it--all of their contact info, all insurance info, all of their car info and driver's license info
-call the cops... don't be shy
OR
-beat the **** out of the other dude
-take pictures at the scene, of the scene

..and that's it?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Ah c'mon, it's relevant. If something becomes of this thread, then people who read it will at least be informed of what to do if it ever happens. Maybe it's common sense to you, but to a surprisingly large sum of people it's not.

But really... AFAIK all you can (and should) really do are four things:
-get the other driver's info... ALL of it--all of their contact info, all insurance info, all of their car info and driver's license info
-call the cops... don't be shy
OR
-beat the **** out of the other dude
-take pictures at the scene, of the scene

..and that's it?
alright alright I was kinda harsh ... most important thing is to get a plate number, insurance card info and DEFINITELY CALL 911 as soon as the accident happens, before u even step out of the car...dial 911 on your cell!!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:47 PM

lol this thread is completely relevant, just not in the 4th gen forum!! You should get a license plate number, drivers license number, insurance company and policy number/expiration date and contact info...
Old 11-15-2005, 10:49 PM

seriously there are more people that are stupid and loose out on accidents cause they dont know..and its not like insurance companies really explain it cause in the end its there loss...
anways for the loosers that said i should get banned....fine so you know what to do in an accidnt...as well i do to..but i feel bad for the other kids that dont...
WHy is this thread any worse then "hey what are my bad habits at driven a stick"
who gives an eph...if it wastes your time then dont read it! some one like turtle might have found this thread very worth while had it been done three days ago!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Custom Molding King!

I think this thread is a good idea for people, one very important factor of an accident is NOT TO MOVE THE CARS, no matter what anyone says make sure not to move the cars, doesen't matter if its blocking traffic do not move the cars unles stated by the police themselvs, police reports are hard to be made when the cars are moved, and the final verdict at who is fault may end up to be both of you for either moving the cars or because the police report couldn't state who may have been at fault.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Killer95max
I think this thread is a good idea for people, one very important factor of an accident is NOT TO MOVE THE CARS, no matter what anyone says make sure not to move the cars, doesen't matter if its blocking traffic do not move the cars unles stated by the police themselvs, police reports are hard to be made when the cars are moved, and the final verdict at who is fault may end up to be both of you for either moving the cars or because the police report couldn't state who may have been at fault.

well ya, thats for a big accident, but in a big accident the police will come and take all the info for you. In a small accident the police wont come unless someone is injured or the cars are blocking traffic and are immobile. so in a small accident when the police arent coming you need to take all the info you can, and take pictures if you have a camera or can buy one quickly.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:16 PM

naw the police have to report to acidents that happen on state highways its the law...however if its private property they most likeley wont... I.E. parking lots
Old 11-16-2005, 05:34 AM
Team Ramrod

Just keep driving.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:34 AM

Yeah the best piece of advice I have is take pictures, throw a little disposable camera in the glovebox so you can take pics if you get in an accident. I was in an accident about a year and a half ago and the other driver was at fault, and the police wouldn't show. Luckily I had my digi cam and I got pics of the scene because the other driver waited to report the accident for 3 months and totalled $3000 in damages. The pics I had of the accident showed that there was little to no damage, and the insurance company was able to get the driver on fraud, which meant that I didn't have to pay a cent, and my insurance rates haven't changed.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:04 AM

If you get in an accident, take a deep breath and get your bearings. Quite often, the other driver will get out of his car and start ranting and raving that it was your fault even when it wasn't. Stick to your guns and don't back down an inch.

Apart from what was mentioned above, immediately check to see if there were any witnesses. Get their name and phone number and make sure they are on your side.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:02 AM
kormax97

GET A WITNESS!!!! seriously

This person will be your best friend forever.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Maxima Owner

if its not ur fault...call the cops always.....exchange insurance info...get estimates right away....put claim in ASAP.....if its ur fault and u think u can get away with it RUN
Old 11-16-2005, 10:29 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Pretty good topic, it maybe moved to general but has useful information. Alot of us have learned the hard way like i did when I had mine.

1. get your bearings cause you'll probably be shaken up
2. Get plate number and car description first in case they try to run.
3. Must get a witness, bribe them with $20 if need be to get their phone number. Alot of accidents is his word against yours the cop will determine both or no fault and you will lose your deductable.
4. I believe it is required by law to get a police report if the damage is over $500. in other words get a police report for EVERY accident.
5. If the accident is on the highway I believe there are signs that say if no serious injury/damage move vehicles to the shoulder. If your car is across 2 lanes and you refuse to move it traffic backs up and it will take longer for the cops to show, especially if they have to ride the shoulder the whole way. Obvoiusly if someone is hurt to where they can't move/ unconscious, obviously don't move either vehicle because they will need all that in case of fatality.

6. It's the insurance company's job to NOT PAY. Therefore any failure to get witnesses and reports and such will only help them screw you. If the other person is at fault, they wouldn't lie about it right? Riiiight.
7. If you have mods and have to pay a deductable, make the bodyshop earn it by fixing back your mods in the damaged areas, if you have to pay, insurance should too right?!! They make more money than you. In some cases the body shop will redo the mod better than you.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by toyick
naw the police have to report to acidents that happen on state highways its the law...however if its private property they most likeley wont... I.E. parking lots

umm have you even been in a small accident and tried to get the cops to come over there??? Maybe its just LA, but this has happened to a number of people i know...
Old 11-16-2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
Pretty good topic, it maybe moved to general but has useful information. Alot of us have learned the hard way like i did when I had mine.

1. get your bearings cause you'll probably be shaken up
2. Get plate number and car description first in case they try to run.
3. Must get a witness, bribe them with $20 if need be to get their phone number. Alot of accidents is his word against yours the cop will determine both or no fault and you will lose your deductable.
4. I believe it is required by law to get a police report if the damage is over $500. in other words get a police report for EVERY accident.
5. If the accident is on the highway I believe there are signs that say if no serious injury/damage move vehicles to the shoulder. If your car is across 2 lanes and you refuse to move it traffic backs up and it will take longer for the cops to show, especially if they have to ride the shoulder the whole way. Obvoiusly if someone is hurt to where they can't move/ unconscious, obviously don't move either vehicle because they will need all that in case of fatality.

6. It's the insurance company's job to NOT PAY. Therefore any failure to get witnesses and reports and such will only help them screw you. If the other person is at fault, they wouldn't lie about it right? Riiiight.
7. If you have mods and have to pay a deductable, make the bodyshop earn it by fixing back your mods in the damaged areas, if you have to pay, insurance should too right?!! They make more money than you. In some cases the body shop will redo the mod better than you.

i am pretty sure that if the damage is over 500 you must file it with the dmv, not get a police report...everything else is good advice though
Old 11-16-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Supermax95
i am pretty sure that if the damage is over $500 you must file it with the dmv, not get a police report...everything else is good advice though
Originally Posted by toyick
http://www.studentlegal.ucla.edu/Autoacci.htm

"The Los Angeles police generally do not come to the scene of an accident or make a report unless someone is seriously injured or there is damage to public property. The people involved in the accident, however, are required to file a report of the accident (called an SR-1) with the Department of Motor Vehicles if the accident involves more than $750.00 of property damage or any personal injuries. If the SR-1 report is filed, all parties to the accident will be required to provide proof of insurance. If you were uninsured on the date of the accident, your driver's license will be suspended for one year."
Old 11-16-2005, 05:42 PM
I support for what?

Hate to say it but I am a new driver I don't know all the dos and don'ts of when you have a wreck so this will be useful to me and lots of others

Great thread
Old 11-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Back from the dead

Thank you, this has helped, I know an accident is gonna happen this winter, my friend, who is the best (read safe and by the book) driver i know, got his car totalled by some drunk loser, and is probably gonna get screwed because he didnt know what to do, and the other guy ran. THANK YOU for whoever started this, and SCREW YOU to the guy that said this was worthless.