4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

wishing i had an auto now

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 05:06 AM

wishing i had an auto now

okay so everyone in and around chicago knows how cold it was yesterday. well on tues. my clutch started to slip pretty bad. i couldnt use more than an 1/8 pedal in 4th or 5th because of slippage. but it went away when the car warmed up. i talked to my uncle, whos a mechanic, and he thought the last owner just put in the cheapest clutch he could find. he said it was odd that it would act normal when warm and not cold since he usually sees the opposite. So yesterday i was driving home and had to make a detour to the gas station or i would not have made it home. driving home i had to go up a hill and to do so i had to down**** to second to hold my speed. now that hill normally doesnt even **** up the cruise normally so that was not good. by that time i'm still about 5 miles from my house with hills no matter which way i go. i drop my friend off and he lives about 5 min. from house normally. it took me 20 minutes to get home. by the time i wanted to go up my street it required me to hold 6k in frist to move 10 mph (there was another hill). then in driveway i could keep in gear with handbrake on and no clutch.
i'm ****ed cus i have to pay for it. which clutch should i get
Old 11-17-2005, 05:20 AM
I Broke OT

either OEM 4th or 5th gen. if your pinched for cash, probably a 4th gen. no aftermarket crap. they don't last as long and bite harder than necessary.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
either OEM 4th or 5th gen. if your pinched for cash, probably a 4th gen. no aftermarket crap. they don't last as long and bite harder than necessary.
Fourth and fifth gen clutch components were about the same amount of money the last time I checked. No need for an aftermarket clutch. With as much as your clutch is slipping, I hope you didn't wear the rivets in the clutch disk into your flywheel...that would be another couple of hundred.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

no you don't just replace it and go on. small price to pay really!!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:31 AM

if u want i have a exedy stage one disc, the pp is defective so i just replaced everyhting with a act 2100lb, but the disc only has like 2k on it. , 20 bucks and its urs. i goto school in elgin, so u wouldnt even have to pay for shipping or anything, u can have the whole system if ud like. throwout bearing and pp, but from what ive read dont mess with aftermarket to's. i guess they break alot.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:38 AM

I would venture to guess that it isn't the surface of the clutch that's bad but the fluid level may be low. Check around your master and slave cylinders for leakage and your clutch fluid level.... when it gets cold, fluids contract, this could reduce the pressure in your lines and cause slippage.

And yes, it was cold as **** last night and this morning!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:51 AM

good point. are u smelling burnt clutch. if not then yeah it may be fluid related.

80last week 20this week, darn el nino!

make sure to check ur tire pr, the weather change made my pr drop to almost half.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:58 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

5 degrees this morning in Iowa.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:13 AM

glad im gonna be spendign most of the winter in orlando, hope my max likes the heat.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Team Ramrod

That sucks... I'll trade you for my auto. 4th or 5th gen clutch would be your best bet, like previously stated.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:17 AM

Just be thankful you've got a 5-speed and not an autotragic! I gathered you're running on cruise control a lot. Stop doing that except on longer trips for the time being.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bobo
Just be thankful you've got a 5-speed and not an autotragic! I gathered you're running on cruise control a lot. Stop doing that except on longer trips for the time being.
Why do you say that? I use my cruise all the time, as I commute to school.

I only use it on the hwy at ~ 75-80mph 5th gear... i dont see how it would affect the clutch, as it just locks the throttle in position (I would think.)
Old 11-17-2005, 08:37 AM

he said for the time being.....as in until you get a new clutch or figure out whats going on....it doesnt lock the throttle in position, it adjusts the throttle to the speed you want, thats why it uses the throttle cable. Say your cruising at 60mph and you go up a hill, its not gonna hold that same throttle position otherwise you would slow down.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by tomservo291
Why do you say that? I use my cruise all the time, as I commute to school.

I only use it on the hwy at ~ 75-80mph 5th gear... i dont see how it would affect the clutch, as it just locks the throttle in position (I would think.)
Where I was coming from was him using it on the hills going home. I would say fine on the highway, but closer to home forget about the cruise control when climbing hills, until the clutch is replaced.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:41 AM

ive used the cruise twice. burning clutch was really strong then went away went it started to slip uncontrolably. this is not a good time for this. i have all next week of school off and it happened two days before i was in the clear. i also need new brakes. i have to pay for all of this and i have no job
Old 11-17-2005, 09:43 AM

oh....and on top of that my tranny has been leaking slightly for awhile now and i think my cat got fried. i'm so screwed for money now. and i thought this would be a good week. my friend a block over had his max die too about 3 weeks ago. this is not cool.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
if u want i have a exedy stage one disc, the pp is defective so i just replaced everyhting with a act 2100lb, but the disc only has like 2k on it. , 20 bucks and its urs. i goto school in elgin, so u wouldnt even have to pay for shipping or anything, u can have the whole system if ud like. throwout bearing and pp, but from what ive read dont mess with aftermarket to's. i guess they break alot.
i didnt really understand what you just said. but you said defective and that worries me. is it still useable? ah....so i would need to buy a diff. pressure plate? i'm so screwed i thought it would last longer than two days for this ****
Old 11-17-2005, 09:48 AM

ive been there, many many times.

hows this, ill give u my old clutch disc, it would be fine for a replacement of urs, just reuse ur pp and throwout bearing. what brake parts do u need, i have my old front rotors too, i think theyl fit on ur cars, they look like crap but thats just casue theyve been sitting int he garage for a year.

im in elgin mon-thursday everyweek, meet up with me and its urs.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:50 AM

the pp was weak, it works but it makes ur pedal soft, u can just use a exedy disc with ur pp and itll work. if it were me id go by a new stock throwout bearign tho. if ur doing the work ur self i could lend a hand ive doen mine b4. not fun but has to get done, its only gonna get colder
Old 11-17-2005, 10:02 AM

well. i dont know if my pp is still good. but with how rapidly it went i think i should be fine. if not it would still save me a lot of money. is the clutch a stage 1 or something or is it an oem? a 5th gen stage one would be a little over kill wouldnt it? 20 bux is worth it w/e it is. i gotta get this fixed and fast. i know my clutch or flywheel has hot spots or is warped somehow. if you dont clutch it right (low rpm) then there is a bad vibration. i just really hope the pp isnt bad. how much would a new pp and tob cost new?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:04 AM

no i think i will have it done. dont have a lot of tools. slowly making my dad amass them through projects i do and so on. and i dont have much of a garage. i cant get the car on ramps, and i only have one jack and stand. i just gotta total up the money before i buy. and to think that after the winter i'll need new tires. and i planned on getting rims and a new head unit and a mevi.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:14 AM

id give dave b a call and order a pp and tob, hed prob get u those the cheapest. the disc is a stage one, its about the same as a stock clutch. just grips a tiny bit better. i was just fed up trying to fix things so i just ordered my act and called it a day. its a long story

also i know a place in crystal lake,thats awesome 4 clutches ,crystal lake transmissions. they just did my car last week, a clutch job would be about $400. i know thats not the cheapest, but they do great work.

also a friend of mine is selling two sets of rims with tires. one 17inch einkies with good tires for like 400 and a set of stock 240 rims, with good tires, but theyre not all the same brand, but hes sellign them for like 150, and theyre 16s, they with the car when he got it.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:21 AM

I'd suggest you put the mods/performance enhancements on the back, back, back burner until you get your car maintained properly. This includes the clutch, brakes, tires and whatever else you haven't mentioned, apart from the leaky tranny. If its just a tranny seal, check out the transaxle gear oil level and if its fine, just continue to monitor it. I would say this repair isn't highest on the priority list right now.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:36 AM

i planned on getting some asa rims. wire a tire package they are like 149 a peice. what rim and tire are they. i might look into it. could you give me the number for trans place? i probably know where it is, my uncle lives up there right on the lake. i probably understand your story. i did that with my y-pipe. i dont really know who dave b is. whats his number also?