4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Unusual Vibrations: Advice needed. (a tad lengthy)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:37 AM

Unusual Vibrations: Advice needed. (a tad lengthy)

A couple of days ago I put in a new axle into my car, the old one came out with little effort and the new one went in nicely. I purchased the correct driver side w/abs axle. Install went great, nothing had to be violently forced in, tranny refilled, everything bolted properly and torqued to spec.

Since the install, my ABS light is on, and I experience noticable vibrations when accelerating. When I let off the gas the vibrations are gone/very minimal, When I clutch in or put it in neutral the vibrations are gone. I'm going to pull the axle out again tonight, but I dont think I did anything wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

My thoughts:
*If it was something with the axle, wouldnt it be present weather I'm accelerating or not?

*If its occuring when I'm accelerating only. . . it could be transmition related?

*ABS light is on, maybe thats causing the vibrations? but I read in the fsm, if the light comes there is a problem with the abs system, and everything is turned off, so its as if your driving without abs. Gotta pull codes for it.

*If the axle wasnt seated correctly, For some odd reason, then I would experience a vibration or something all the time, as the axle continues to spin wheather I'm giving gas or not.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
Old 11-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Axles sometimes only exhibit problems under load (acceleration)... Since it started post axle install, it's likely something to do with the axle or the installation (not trying to be captain obvious )
Old 11-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Where did you get the axle again?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:39 AM
The original VQ...

I had the same problem, my car ate axles cause it was to low...

And i bought cheap rebuilt axles, and after 2 weeks, the car would shake bad at wot, and anytime above like 2k.

I started to think it was my tranny, took it out, changed the clutch cause i thought the exedy gave out on me, even mechancis told me motor mounts , tranny but no one told me for sure what it was.. my shaking was bad..

I bought to brand new (not rebuilt ) axles from napa, the problem went away .

If you search you might be able to find my old threads, everyone on here told me to check tie rods and motor mounts. Ended up being my axles.

good luck, just spend the money and buy brand new ones and no rebuilt crap.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Where did you get the axle again?
advanced auto parts, to be honnest the axle looks like its pretty good quality, but ofcourse I dont know how it is in the inside, nor how well the actually rebuilt it.

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I had the same problem, my car ate axles cause it was to low...

And i bought cheap rebuilt axles, and after 2 weeks, the car would shake bad at wot, and anytime above like 2k.

I started to think it was my tranny, took it out, changed the clutch cause i thought the exedy gave out on me, even mechancis told me motor mounts , tranny but no one told me for sure what it was.. my shaking was bad..

I bought to brand new (not rebuilt ) axles from napa, the problem went away .

If you search you might be able to find my old threads, everyone on here told me to check tie rods and motor mounts. Ended up being my axles.

good luck, just spend the money and buy brand new ones and no rebuilt crap.

Oh no. . .

I just bought this axle about a week ago! Plus I just put AGX and S-techs on this past weekend. I rode on my bad driver side axle with S-tech for a few days, no vibration. Now with this axle, I get vibrations and ABS light! I pretty confident that the axle was put in correctly. Correct me if I'm wrong but you kind of cant mess up the install. You line it up properly, and push the axle in all the way till its sitting all the way back in the tranny.

I dont want to have to buy another axle . . . I wonder if I order a non-reman axle, get it here soon, install it and take back this advanced auto axle... If after tonights work doenst fix it, I will try to do that.

New thought:

But I've read other have bought advanced auto axles and all was fine. . . or maybe my suspension choice is whats causing the vibrations?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:02 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by MDeezy
advanced auto parts, to be honnest the axle looks like its pretty good quality, but ofcourse I dont know how it is in the inside, nor how well the actually rebuilt it.

New thought:

But I've read other have bought advanced auto axles and all was fine. . . or maybe my suspension choice is whats causing the vibrations?
Each and every rebuilt axle on their shelf is different. The key is the quality of the parts inside the boot - which are not visible externally. With a quick sandblasting and a fresh coat of paint, they can make a sh*tty axle look new... so you can't judge it by it's looks.

My guess is you have a bad axle. I wouldn't even reinstall it.. why not just take it back, swap it out (lifetime warranty) with another on from the store and see if the vibration persists.

You need to pull the ABS codes... I know you said you installed the axle w/ABS, but did you check to make sure there was an ABS ring at the end?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:16 PM

very true indeed.

I saw the abs ring on the end of the axle, it was the first thing I looked for. I know it is there. I thought to myself maybe it came off when I was installing the axle, but before I had returned the old one today, I took off the abs ring, and that sucker is on there good, it takes some serious effort to come off.

I know the axle is in there good, so I'm going to pull the abs codes, and maybe just order from raxles, and install that and take back the advanced axle.

The raxles comes with a lifetime warantee also right??

I guess I'm now officially a victim of "you get what you pay for"
Old 11-17-2005, 03:28 PM

I dont even know if I want to mess with another rebuild. I'm going to call advanced tommorow, explain that I have an axle that isnt working with my vehicle and see if its possible to get a refund, if they say yes. I will order the raxles axles, and return this advanced axle. If they say no, then I'll just have them swap it out for another one. I'm sure they dont have any in store, but either way I'll make sure I dont have any down time with the car.After all is said and done, I paid about $80 for this axle. I dont mind paying (by comparision) and additional $40 for a quality axle, I just hope that solves the problem.

This axle I got for advanced felt a bit stiff, and definately not as agile as the oem axle that came out, but of course that axle was bad, broken boot, and about a year of exposure+abuse.

More thoughts:

So a bad axle will only really show its craftsmanship underload? I would feel the vibrations when accerlating, but if I put it in neutral, still going the same speed, wouldnt the axle show some of that craftsmanship?

There is no way to install and axle wrong and not know it correct? You'll know if the axle is in the tranny properly or not. Abs ring needs to be present, no specific orientation needed?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

1) You have the wrong axle. It's most likely missing the ABS pickup ring. Either it's packaged wrong or Advanced Auto gave you the wrong one.

2) Vibrations while accellerating, occuring after an axle replacement means you have a defective axle or CV joint.

I'd suggest you go back to Advanced Auto and tell them whats happening and ask them how their going to handle it for you. Basically, you need a correct replacement for the one you have. To see if you indeed have an ABS axle, look for a ring with teeth on it mounted right where the axle sits in the hub. If the ring isn't there, (which is must likely the case) you have a non-ABS axle.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
1) You have the wrong axle. It's most likely missing the ABS pickup ring. Either it's packaged wrong or Advanced Auto gave you the wrong one.

2) Vibrations while accellerating, occuring after an axle replacement means you have a defective axle or CV joint.

I'd suggest you go back to Advanced Auto and tell them whats happening and ask them how their going to handle it for you. Basically, you need a correct replacement for the one you have. To see if you indeed have an ABS axle, look for a ring with teeth on it mounted right where the axle sits in the hub. If the ring isn't there, (which is must likely the case) you have a non-ABS axle.
I was waiting for you to post Tom.

It in indeed a ABS axle, that I installed. I saw the abs ring, I remember lubing that end of the shaft with GL-4 Fluid, to make the install easier.

I dont understand why the ABS light comes on. After i get out of the car and go back for a drive later, the abs light is off but comes on after a min of driving. (Going to pull codes now, just got home and got my haynes)

I will go into the store tommorow and speak with them, I get try to get another axle from them and hope that solves the problem, if not then, I will return the axle and just go with raxles.

Its odd to get a re-new axle off the shelve and have problem with it already, but I'm sure this isnt the first time it happened and definately not the last.

This is the axle I purchased:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=945&ptset=A
Old 11-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Project Ruby......

Hmm, interesting when I post about a vibration after axle install I get about 3 replies.

This seems to be happening to a lot of us here lately with CHEAP axles. If you purchased your axles from, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, Napa, Autozone, Oreillys, etc, you will be in for doom!!!

Go buy some axles from raxles.com and you'll be set and won't have to worry about horrendous vibrations, and other crap that goes on with cheapies.

I had this problem as well I bought driver and passenger axles from Autozone. I pulled the axle out and reinstalled it several times. My driver axle also had tons of play in it.

I finally got fed up and decided to get a driver side axle from www.raxles.com
Raxles had a ring at the inner joint which hugs around the oil seal which the AZ axle did NOT have.

Went for a test drive the car actually felt quicker (probably due to no play in the axle), BUT I still had the vibration, but it wasn't as bad, but still horrendous.

Next week purchased the passenger side from Raxles installed it and all is well. Problem with my passenger axle was lots of play in the joint.

Raxles' axles are expensive, but worth every penny!!

Just my $.02
Old 11-17-2005, 05:25 PM

your probable right 4drspeed. I know for sure I was trying to save some money, as well as have a lifetime warantee incase my axle goes again, I dont have to dish out more money for it.

You installed a local auto store axle and have vibrations now as well?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Project Ruby......

When my axles were shot, I went to autozone and bought both axles hoping this would be a cheap quick fix. Well it certainly was CHEAP, but no quick fix.

I have axles from Raxles now and couldn't complain at all. I drove around with that damn vibration for about a month and a half. Once I finally got the Raxles ones on it was a blessing to feel smoothness again!!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:40 PM

Wow. You didnt even trying swappin out for another set of axles?

I will definately call raxles tommorow and try to get a new axle out to me sometime next week and return this axles, and be done. I cant do a month and a half of this vibration, plus I know I need an alignment, I wont let these tires get eaten up.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Project Ruby......

Reason for me not swapping out is because the first driver side axle they gave me was LSD

I had to go through some BS with AZ to get my axle swapped to a non-LSD. Finally I got that and it still was CRAP!!

So I said screw it and called Raxles.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:54 PM

I see. I'm checking raxles web site, shipping would be 2 days for me, so I will order tommorow, and I should get it by monday tuesday, install same day. Hopefully vibrations are gone, and get an alignment. I'm on stock tires and I rub (only at full lock).

thank all for the help. I'm going raxles and will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:05 PM

I was waiting for you to post Tom.

It in indeed a ABS axle, that I installed. I saw the abs ring, I remember lubing that end of the shaft with GL-4 Fluid, to make the install easier.
What did you lube with GL-4? The ring is on the hub side, not the tranny side. I still think you have a non-ABS axle, the symptoms you describe are exactly what happens when a non-ABS axle is installed on a car with ABS. The ABS light comes on once the car starts moving, which indicates the sensors are working, but don't see the ring. If it was a sensor that had failed, you'd get the ABS light upon start up.

We'll see for sure when you pull it back out.

EDIT: You'd be better off with a new Nissan axle, it will last longer.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:17 PM

What did you lube with GL-4? The ring is on the hub side, not the tranny side. I still think you have a non-ABS axle, the symptoms you describe are exactly what happens when a non-ABS axle is installed on a car with ABS. The ABS light comes on once the car starts moving, which indicates the sensors are working, but don't see the ring. If it was a sensor that had failed, you'd get the ABS light upon start up.

We'll see for sure when you pull it back out.

EDIT: You'd be better off with a new Nissan axle, it will last longer.

I lubed the tranny side of the axle so it will slide into the tranny easier.

The ring I saw on the axle that goes in the tranny.

Wheel side.............................................. ..........................................Tranny side
Installed on the car like that.

Where on the hub side would it be located? So there isnt suppost to be a ring that goes into the tranny side?

Anyone have a pic of this abs ring?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:37 AM

The ring is on the wheel side, and it's on the axle in that pic. Looking at that pic, it's the last part of the large diameter left of the boot. You can just make out the teeth in that pic. Right between "the car" on the text below it. There is no ring on the tranny side, just a spline shaft.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:42 AM

I have a similar vibration which appears to be coming from the front left side of the car down by the tire. But mine occurs when I let up from the gas. I had new axles installed on both sides in Aug/Sept. I can't remember which. I purchased mine from Car Quest I think. I also had an entire brake job done with 4 new calipers around the same time. Could I be victim to the same axle quality issue. I'm not sure how long this has been happening but I would venture to say a month or two. Any thoughts?

The problem is that I'm at 224K and have also recently had the EGR cleaned and the valve replaced, 2 new tires, a new KS and 3 new O2 sensors. I'm considering selling it to not have to put more $$ into it. Although, till now, almost no repairs have been 4 needed.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:58 AM

The ring is on the wheel side, and it's on the axle in that pic. Looking at that pic, it's the last part of the large diameter left of the boot. You can just make out the teeth in that pic. Right between "the car" on the text below it. There is no ring on the tranny side, just a spline shaft.
Then I have been looking at the wrong part of the axle for the abs ring. The picture has it, but they very well could have accidentally given me the wrong one.

Raxle, axles is on the way. Damn their nice, the rep was cool, making jokes, they definately seem like good people. Should have the new axle, early next week.

Originally Posted by 200KStrong
I have a similar vibration which appears to be coming from the front left side of the car down by the tire. But mine occurs when I let up from the gas. I had new axles installed on both sides in Aug/Sept. I can't remember which. I purchased mine from Car Quest I think. I also had an entire brake job done with 4 new calipers around the same time. Could I be victim to the same axle quality issue. I'm not sure how long this has been happening but I would venture to say a month or two. Any thoughts?

The problem is that I'm at 224K and have also recently had the EGR cleaned and the valve replaced, 2 new tires, a new KS and 3 new O2 sensors. I'm considering selling it to not have to put more $$ into it. Although, till now, almost no repairs have been 4 needed.
Check tire pressure. Wheels could need balancing. Make sure your lugs are on tight. Inspect axle for extra play, check out bushing etc. If you think its your axle for sure, swap it out if you have a warantee on it.

Also no matter what car you have you'll have to put money into it for repairs. I'd rather do it on my car now, and not have to worry about payments ontop of it (One more payment and she's all paid off)
Old 11-21-2005, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the advice. That is a quick and cheap check before going the other route. I don't want a car payment either. Bushings are ok as we changed those. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:39 PM

All problems solved.

the ADvanced auto parts axle was badly remanufactures, and missing the abs ring. The Picture and web site lists the abs ring on it, but when I pulled it out yesterday it did not have it.

Raxles axle, went in like a dream and rides like a dream. ABS light gone, vibrations gone.

Raxle has some quality parts and excellent service.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Project Ruby......

Glad you fixed the problem man! Raxles
Old 11-23-2005, 04:47 PM

RAXLES FOR REAL!!

http://raxles.com/testimonials_page_four.aspx
My testimony is the last on page 4, I just send it to them last night, an hour or two after I did the axle.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:42 PM

All problems solved.

the ADvanced auto parts axle was badly remanufactures, and missing the abs ring.

Raxles axle, went in like a dream and rides like a dream. ABS light gone, vibrations gone.
Told ya so.. Glad you got it fixed.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:42 AM
The original VQ...

glad you got it fixed
Old 11-24-2005, 08:27 AM

Thanks all for the help. Yes Tom you were right, I was looking at the wrong part of the axle for the abs ring, and the advanced axle was simply garbage.

Alignment time now.