4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Finally Got Some Suspension Probs Resoved!!! (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 07:00 PM

Finally Got Some Suspension Probs Resoved!!! (kinda long)

I finally got my front end to be quiet!!!

My Max had been squeaking since earlier this year, and before I even got a chance to address it, it started clunking and rattling...etc. Basically the entire front end just went downhill in a span of less than two months. I was worried that the body would literally collapse onto the frame, so I knew I had to get it fixed. I'm not very mechanically inclined when it comes to suspension, so I didn't want to attempt anything on my own. In my defense however, I do have a general working knowledge of which functions are performed by which parts.

First I had my struts replaced thinking that would solve the problem, it didn't. During the process I found out I needed a right ball joint, and left inner tie rod. I thought that this would solve the problem. So, I went and had both lower control arms replaced, including ball joints and bushings as well as the inner and outer tie rod ends. That helped out by making the car handle a lot better and some of the squeaking and clunking went away but it was still noisy and it was really starting to bother me.

Then a few days ago I read a post about changing the strut mounts and strut bearings. When had the new struts put on earlier this year it didn't occur to me that also I should've changed the mounts and bearings. So I went and bought a pair of mounts and bearings and brought them to my mechanic and he greased them up real good and put them on for me. Finally the squeaking and the clunking has stopped and the ride is silky smooth again!

I'm a little pissed because I realized that the place put the struts on for me didn't even mention replacing the mounts and bearings. I didn't realize how important it is to replace the mounts and bearings when you replace struts. NOW I know this, lesson well learned. That wasn't a place that I frequent, and after such a major oversight, I definitely won't be back.

The only noise that remains is a minor rattling sound coming from the lower passenger side area when I go over a bump. My mechanic told me that one of my front stabilizer bar's bushings is worn and needs to be replaced. I will be replacing all the bushings and links on it after Thanksgiving. My car has 198,900 mi and now it's back to feeling like it's barely broken in. The 4th Gen is truly an AWESOME car, I'm holding on to this baby indefinitely.

So, for anyone trying to locate and fix suspension squeaks, clunks, rattles...etc, please realize that it could be a NUMBER of things as was the case with my Max.

Also, I want to say thanks to all the org members who've answered any of my questions concerning these problems, I really appreciate it!

Old 11-18-2005, 10:45 PM
Wild for Width

Congrats on solving your problems. Susp. can be be SO annoying sometimes..
Old 11-19-2005, 06:36 AM

Man.. I went through exact problem on my 3rd gen max. The only thing different is that I did it myself so I had to disassemble the whole strut assembly twice. I remembered checking the strut mounts and strut bearings very carefuly and decided to reuse them since it looked prety good. Bad mistake... Bought new set of Moog and the car feels silky smooth now. I feel for you man... Chalk it down as learning experience.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What are the part #s for the strut bearings???
Old 11-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Would bad strut mounts and bearings couse the steering to vibrate or shake?
Old 11-19-2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by speed racer
Would bad strut mounts and bearings couse the steering to vibrate or shake?
My steering wheel did not shake or vibrate, you may need your wheels balanced.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fr33way
Congrats on solving your problems. Susp. can be be SO annoying sometimes..

Gotta love it when you finally dfigure it out, and it works.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:23 AM

I replaced rear struts on my 99 maxima but it is still very wobbly in the back. Do the springs have to be replaced as well?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by keb1209
I was worried that the body would literally collapse onto the frame...

The body IS the frame

Congrats on the noise resolution though.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Conecarver

Glad you solved it. That's why I love the .org for the useful info that I've found over years. $100 get's you new mounts, bearings, and FSB bushings. As long as the shocks are ok you could run the car 500K and it would still feel ok.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:49 AM

What do you mean by the mount? Is that the part with the 3 rods sticking out, or the piece that goes on top of that that has rubber on it? Or are you talking about the upper rubber spring seat mount? Im tyring to fix a clunking noise also.