4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Optima.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 08:59 PM

Optima.....

So my battery is on its way out, and i know soon ill need another one, for my allante i went with a optima red top, for a variety of reasons, but for the I30 im not sure if i should get a red or yellow, i have A/M fogs, A/M stero (with subs and amp) and a few other small mods.

What do u guys think

Also what modifications are necessary to make this fit?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:06 PM

go with a yellow top and no modifications are needed
Old 11-18-2005, 09:32 PM

my impression tells me that the yellow top is for audiophiles and red top is for off roaders
Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Tryonetic
my impression tells me that the yellow top is for audiophiles and red top is for off roaders
Damn, i shoulda gotten the yellowtop then. But any optima is great, it recharges noticably quicker.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:03 AM
KH3 by popular demand

You will be fine with a redtop, I've heard of charging issues with yellowtops recently.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:58 AM

whats the difference between the redtop and yellow top, and what do you recommend for 4th gen max. I notice sometimes when I am driving and my radiator fans turn on my lights dimm down, and its quite annoying. Not sure if I need a new alternator or what, what do you guys think from the lights dimming? I am not running any extras that would pull power from the battery.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:08 AM

Like said redtop is for everyday use, while Yellow top is recommended for people who are Heavy A/V users that draw a big current. the yellow top has somethin called deep cycle which allows the alternator to charge it up alot later than with a regular (B+) saving the alternator.
Damn i wish i could find my Car Audio and Electronic Magazine...................grrr. Hope it helps.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:35 AM

You can still use a yellow top even if you don't have that much current being drawn right? I have dim dash lights which means low battery? I was lookin at Sears' "deal" at their automotive center, and they have a guarantee that if you can find a lower price on Optimas, they pay you the difference. The price is way cheaper on the Optima site.