4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Another new problem: Tires rubbing on something

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 08:03 PM

Another new problem: Tires rubbing on something

The extreme inner edges of my tires are rubbing on something as I drive. Something is gouging them out when I push on my brakes lightly at low speeds (in parking lots/garages), and I can sometimes hear the tires humming/rubbing on something with brakes lightly pressed, usually when the car is cold.

Whatever it is, it gouged out so much from the inner edge that the belts were showing thru and I had to get a set of all four new tires. Mine are plus sized...stock size were 215s with 15" rims. The set that wore thru to the belts were 235 17's. The new set are 225 17's and still rub. I hate the fact that my brand new tires that i spent 600 bucks on are rubbing nad getting destroyed prematurely (VERY prematurely).

I got my calipers replaced recently, which is when i think the problem started (about 3 months ago). But what could be rubbing down there on the OUTER edge from the brakes? I am so confused and pissed off...please state some ideas as to what the problem could be. Thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 08:30 PM

Have you checked your alignment?

Lift and support the car, start it up and watch from underneath with a light, find the source.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:57 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Did you lower the car without having it aligned afterwards? If so, your toe is way off and that's whats causing your extream inner tire ware.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:30 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

There has to be something odd or severe going on to rub that much with those size tires. Unless your dropped 4" I can't think of what is gong to rub enough to wear through the tire, and if your are indeed rubbing that much your certainly going to hear/feel it when you drive. Could just be a very bad alignment problem like Tom said
Old 12-06-2005, 06:04 AM

Make sure the offset is correct. If the inside of the wheel is too close it will rub.

Also replacing the calipers will not cause this rubbing on the tire, the caliper would rub on the inside of the rim.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Did you lower the car without having it aligned afterwards? If so, your toe is way off and that's whats causing your extream inner tire ware.
Uh oh I didnt know that. I guess I'd better get that done.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:52 PM

Well i've had the large tires/rims for about three years now, and this is my third set of tires. This problem only began a few months ago, so i think all the stuff with offsets and lowering have already been eliminated since it was not a problem back then.

The car is lowered with maxspeeds. I notice that when i exit the parking garage from work and coast down (car is cold) and lightly press the brake while rolling, it rubs a lot. Seems to only do this when brakes are pressed, and since i got the rear calipers replaced a few months ago, i suspected these to be the culprit somehow. Since i am in NYC right now, I cannot raise the car (dont know anyone here and dont know any shops). anyone have any other ideas?