4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No Heat......Let's try this again!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 06:05 AM

No Heat......Let's try this again! Experts please!~

Ok I have had no or minmum heat for the past 2 years. I had the heater core replaced, due to it leaking. The radiator replaced due to a broken neck. I replaced the thermostat but still no heat. It usually comes out luke warm if any. NOW on occasion I have had some heat when I manually open the heater core valve by holding the on/off button on my ac controls then pressing heat up 2 times, then the defrost button......that manually opens the heater core valve but as soon as I turn the car off and back on the little heat that I was getting is gone.

I brought it to a radiator place and the mechanic tells me "It's either a electrical problem with your auto a/c control or a mechanical problem".....no **** sherlock.....and it would be $150 just to diagnose what it could be. I did notice and the mechanic said that the heater control valve on the firewall doesn't do anything, if it's open all the way or closed it doesn't make a difference as to how much heat i get. Something else I have found out is that the heater hoses going to the heater core the ones going in are hot but the one coming out is not. So that either means that my heater core is clogged [which i don't think it is] or that some flap or door that is suppose to open to allow hot fluid into the heater core isn't open up. Can this be caused by a faulty auto climate control or is it just a bad flap? Is this flap or valve controlled by vacuum or is it electronic? I just need help to figure out what is going on.

Fluid is filled all the way as well.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:50 AM
Do I get a tax break?

I remember your original thread on this (a few weeks ago)... I would bet your heater control valve is not working properly... how much is a replacement?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:23 AM

Air bubbles in the cooling system maybe? I don't know about the Maxima but in my 240sx when there is air in the cooling system it might blow warm for a minute then get cold.

Mav
Old 12-08-2005, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by njmodi
I remember your original thread on this (a few weeks ago)... I would bet your heater control valve is not working properly... how much is a replacement?

Where is it and what does it do? If you are talking about the valve on the firewall, with the cable running to it? It doesn't do anything, the cable doesn't retract it at all no matter what temp I put the controls on, which leads me to beleive that maybe the problem is with the auto climate control unit. But if i dis-connect that cable and manually open and close that valve it still doesn't make a difference as to the heat i get as well....so I am back at the begining again.

I have had the system bled and refilled twice and each time they tell me the heat is working perfectly now. I go pick it up and heat works great only to have it go away the next day or 2
Old 12-08-2005, 11:24 AM

bumpity bump ....anyone else?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by dallas0593
Where is it and what does it do? If you are talking about the valve on the firewall, with the cable running to it? It doesn't do anything, the cable doesn't retract it at all no matter what temp I put the controls on, which leads me to beleive that maybe the problem is with the auto climate control unit. But if i dis-connect that cable and manually open and close that valve it still doesn't make a difference as to the heat i get as well....so I am back at the begining again.

I have had the system bled and refilled twice and each time they tell me the heat is working perfectly now. I go pick it up and heat works great only to have it go away the next day or 2
Thats the same valve I am talking about. In the auto climate control systems, there has to be a motor that drives that valve to open/close - perhaps that is burnt out.

But then you say that manually operating the valve doesn't change the heat either, so maybe the valve is never opening, i.e. even manually operating the cable doesn't actually cuase the valve to open - the mechanism might be broken.. If I'm not making any sense it's because I've never actually played around with the parts you are talking about and don't even know what the valve looks like