4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Incessant Cassete Deck Grinding - Possible Fix or New Head Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 05:49 PM

Incessant Cassete Deck Grinding - Possible Fix or New Head Unit?

Well.. every time I turn the car on, the empty cassette deck mechanism will begin a very annoying and sometimes loud grinding process, as if it is trying to eject an invincible cassette. This continues sometimes for up to 10 minutes after the car has been started. I could care less about the deck itself, i just want the noise to stop... its embarassing when i've got people riding with me and annoys the hell out of me when i'm by myself. I dont know who has even used cassettes in the last 10 years. It is the factory BOSE unit. I was wondering if there was a way to remedy this problem, or would I be better off purchasing a new head unit off of ebay? If i go the replacement route, which I probably will, is there a write up anywhere on the easiest way to get this unit removed and the new one put in? Thanks in advance.

One more note... I had my Max emission tested last week. They failed me because there was supposedly not enough data on the ECU to get an accurate reading. I had the battery disconnected 6 weeks prior when my sunroof assembly was replaced. Now I only have til Feb. to get "compliant". I'm obviously going to have to disconnect it again to do the BOSE, so I dont know what to do with these people to become compliant. Their only advice was to "drive the car more". Why cant they just do an exhaust test instead of making these assinine rules? I've had it up to here with these stupid bureaucracies.... ok im done.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:31 PM

I had the same problem with mine, I got tired of it and replaced it. Car Stereo Help has a decent write-up at http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNisMax0.htm.

FYI, and others will probably say the same.... you should've posted this in the electronics forum.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by MaximusAureleas
Well.. every time I turn the car on, the empty cassette deck mechanism will begin a very annoying and sometimes loud grinding process, as if it is trying to eject an invincible cassette. This continues sometimes for up to 10 minutes after the car has been started. I could care less about the deck itself, i just want the noise to stop... its embarassing when i've got people riding with me and annoys the hell out of me when i'm by myself. I dont know who has even used cassettes in the last 10 years. It is the factory BOSE unit. I was wondering if there was a way to remedy this problem, or would I be better off purchasing a new head unit off of ebay? If i go the replacement route, which I probably will, is there a write up anywhere on the easiest way to get this unit removed and the new one put in? Thanks in advance.
Just replace it, man. I bought a Clarion
that works well for me. You'll need the Scosche (sp?) adapter to make it work with your speakers if you still have the Bose speakers, and that's it.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Common problem with the stock Bose HU's.. I've managed to silence
mine without effecting the rest of the unit. You need to be comfortable
taking apart the unit and a little bit of electronics knowledge doesn't hurt.

I might do a quick write up on the procedure one of these days..
Old 12-08-2005, 08:13 PM

Just get a new h/u. Besides cassette decks are so archaic.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sounbwoy
Just replace it, man. I bought a Clarion
that works well for me. You'll need the Scosche (sp?) adapter to make it work with your speakers if you still have the Bose speakers, and that's it.
Wow, that would be SO nice if it were wood grain - damn!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:30 AM

You mean to go along with your interior? Nah, man. That would not look good, IMO. You need something to break all that up.
However, I really like this HU. The cassette is behind the display which flips down. I'm old school, so I prefer ***** to buttons as well.