4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

radiator/General Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 10:44 AM

radiator/General Questions

My radiator started leaking a while back and i patched it up with jb weld (haha dont laugh it worked on a friends DSM for 6 + Months); car has only overheated once (when it originally leaked, not recently) now I see this and have the time this weekend to fix it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/DSCN0028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/DSCN0027.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/DSCN0026.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/DSCN0025.jpg

Should I patch again? Go OEM? Or aftermarket fluidine, i dont plan on doing anything to the motor so I was thinking OEM, also how hard is it to replace the thermostat?

Also for you auto-x guys, I would like to set the car up for autox, right now I have an Intake, short throw, cross drilled rotors, and full exhaust, I want to be competitive so do I need to find a stock exhaust to race in the right class (dont want to be thrown into street modified)? As for suspension do I have to remove my front and rear strut braces? Furthermore can I get after market shocks/struts/motormounts/clutch? (I plan on getting the Tein damper kit or Tokiko shocks + struts in the spring since i'm at 160,000 miles) and lastly does anyone have any opinions on what a good type of tire is for the stock rims for daily driving and the occaisional cone dodging if i can get off of work?

I feel like it would be a lot of work to revert my car to stock to race, if it is i'll probably not end up doing it and just making my car a fun thing to have in the mountains; and sorry for the Ignorane I know nothing about auto-x classing.

Thanks in advance guys, i dont post much but i've been reading the forums since I picked this Maxima up and it's been very informative; i'm just trying to make my car last another 3-5 years while being decently fun.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:11 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Holy **** dude, buy a new radiator! Get an OEM Koyo replacement off ebay for about $130, thats what I got. It takes about 20 minutes to repalce it and you dont even have to jack up the car. But deffinately get that replaced. As for the thermostat, Ive never done it, but now would be a good time since hte radiator will also be out of the car, should give oyu more room. I think its held in by 3 bolts, shouldnt be too hard.

As for auto-x info, just the auto-x forum, good information in there.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vlasic
Holy **** dude, buy a new radiator! Get an OEM Koyo replacement off ebay for about $130, thats what I got. It takes about 20 minutes to repalce it and you dont even have to jack up the car. But deffinately get that replaced. As for the thermostat, Ive never done it, but now would be a good time since hte radiator will also be out of the car, should give oyu more room. I think its held in by 3 bolts, shouldnt be too hard.

As for auto-x info, just the auto-x forum, good information in there.
Yeah I ordered one after posting on ebay for $100 shipped; thanks man.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:29 PM
VK56 Inside

Thermostat is easy. Since you have the raditator out already then there is no fluid to drain. Remove thermostat housing. 3 bolts. Deep well sockets worked good for me. I found it easier to access everything if you loosen the belt tensioner to were the bolts are almost out. Shouldnt take more than 30 or 45.