4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wire for Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:34 PM

Wire for Kill Switch

Someone tried to jack my car a few nights back and now I am looking to install a kill switch. Anyone have a link to a how-to or can lead me to the proper wire to put a kill switch? I’ve looked through the FAQs and don’t see anything on kill switches (maybe I missed something?) and I can’t search.

Also, I need to change my power steering pump since it is leaking. I found there’s a link in the FAQs for this but it is broken. Anyone have another link?

Thanks in advance.
pd
Old 12-12-2005, 01:48 PM
blah

there's a starter fuse that's 15 amps in fuse box thats on lower part of your dash board. The fuse panel cover will tell you which one it is. You could be real tricky and put a blown out fuse in its place.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:54 PM

That would take time though. Just think everytime you wanna do it you have change the fuse.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:57 PM

this is a daily driver so taking fuse in and out is not a effective option.
still looking for the right wire to put a switch onto.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If I'm correct I believe its the white wire with the black strip. When you take the cover off the steering wheel you will see I believe 4 wires connected to the ignition switch. Try the wire I mentioned and worse case scenerio just resplice it.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:41 PM
blah

go to the stickies and get the wire colors if youre not down with fuse idea jeeeeez

or better yet get a 2 way alarm like me and sleep tight
Old 12-12-2005, 07:01 PM

I believe some people wire up a fuel cut with one of the fuel pump wires but im not sure though
Old 12-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Maxima Owner

splice into ur ignition wires and hide a swtich somewhere the car that only u know of but still relatively easy to get too
Old 12-12-2005, 07:34 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

there are just too many ways to do this and posting them all makes no sence and if you post how you did yours then its not a secret and some one could potentially steal your car anyhow.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:51 PM

the only thing is, you can link ur ignition to a lot of things. It doesn't necessarily have to be one switch only. You can do it so that you will need to flip the switch that you put on, while having ur hazards on and turning on your runing lights, headlights, or high beams. need to turn the radio off, step on the brake, or even moving ur seat. Basically nething that can requires power should do the job.

think of it as a train. If you brake the tracks (cutting ignition wires), you need to reconnect the tracks to a different location in order for the train not to crash (complete the circuitry) and remember, the ignition is a lil better than the cutting off the fuel pump because what is you accidently hit the switch? Pain in the butt is if you have to valet it, the guy will never be able to start the car again unless you tell him how to.

This is when you need to create a switch that acts like a short circuit (having another set of tracks so the train can go directly to where it was before you broke the tracks apart) meaning directly connecting ur ignition wires together again without having to press all those buttons. But this switch should be placed somewhere that is very hard to get to and think of. I mean, you're gonna know when you're gonna get valet so it shouldn't be THAT big of a problem
Old 12-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Maxima lover

I think one of the best kill switches I saw was one in the window switch. I think he used the starter. He had to pull the drivers window switch up while starting the car. It was nice because he didn't have to switch it every time he got out of the car and it wasn't easy to find like an aftermarket switch that was hidden hidden. Of course this would only work well with a automatic.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxima lover
I think one of the best kill switches I saw was one in the window switch. I think he used the starter. He had to pull the drivers window switch up while starting the car. It was nice because he didn't have to switch it every time he got out of the car and it wasn't easy to find like an aftermarket switch that was hidden hidden. Of course this would only work well with a automatic.
That's pretty cool, A relay would let you do that just fine, and it would work for manual or auto.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Maxima lover

Originally Posted by Tyrexx
That's pretty cool, A relay would let you do that just fine, and it would work for manual or auto.
Only problem is with a manual, it can be pop started without the starter. Our OEM alarms are setup with the starter. I have started my car several times while the alarm was going off by just pop starting it.

It would be possible to run it threw a latched relay though and make it on the "run" wire and not the "starter" wire. This would take a little more time to design though.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by PhillyDonut
Someone tried to jack my car a few nights back and now I am looking to install a kill switch. Anyone have a link to a how-to or can lead me to the proper wire to put a kill switch? I’ve looked through the FAQs and don’t see anything on kill switches (maybe I missed something?) and I can’t search.

Also, I need to change my power steering pump since it is leaking. I found there’s a link in the FAQs for this but it is broken. Anyone have another link?

Thanks in advance.
pd
if your car is an auto then al you have to do is put a kill switch on the neutral safety switch wire. just extend the wire to where ever the kil switch is hidden and then back to the neutral safety switch. Or you can just buy an alarm with ignition kill