4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 07:34 PM

Electrical Problems

Now first off, I drive a 1995 car. Certain problems are to be expected of a car as old as mine, and I accept that. But I have a few problems which I am not so sure about. First off, sometimes, when I turn on the headlights with a door open, the door lights will blink. Secondly, sometimes, when I roll down my windows, they will not roll down smoothly and will stutter. My passenger side back window does not roll down at all after I replaced the motor in the window. And lastly, sometimes my headunit will just cut off or not come on at all. And all the buttons for a/c and heating will not light up at all, under any circumstances. Has anyone else experianced any of these problems, or is mine just a singular case?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had soome similar issues way back when believe it or not it all went back to my fuse block
Old 12-27-2005, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by newport2k
i had soome similar issues way back when believe it or not it all went back to my fuse block
Really? What exactly was it, and how much did a fix run you for?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by KrayolaSE-L
First off, sometimes, when I turn on the headlights with a door open, the door lights will blink.
Need more info: is your key in the ignition when this happens? Does this happen while the engine is running with your car on park?

Secondly, sometimes, when I roll down my windows, they will not roll down smoothly and will stutter. My passenger side back window does not roll down at all after I replaced the motor in the window.
Sounds like either the window regulator or motor is gone. If the motor has been replaced, check/replace the regulator.

And lastly, sometimes my headunit will just cut off or not come on at all.
Change radio fuse. If problem persists, pull the radio out and check wires in the back.

And all the buttons for a/c and heating will not light up at all, under any circumstances.
Mine was like that when I bought it used, I had to replace all the LEDs behind the climate control. You need to pull the radio out to access this.

Most of the how-to's are in the stickies, I suggest you read thru them first. There's lots of information there that can help you. Also, investing on a Chilton or Haynes manual will benefit you greately since your car needs a lot more attention now at its age and condition. Just be patient. You cannot fix all this overnight. Take the time and gain the knowledge first by reading thru the stickies. On the more difficult issues, being mechanically inclined would be to your advantage. Otherwise, take your car to a shop that you can trust.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Similar Problems

Not to jump into the middle of Krayola's fix question, but I have a similar problem going on with my '95 SE. A whole bunch of electrical problems have shown up over the past couple of days - the alarm goes off for no apparent reason (I stopped that by yanking the fuse...), the turn signal and interior lights start to flicker, the rear defrost light goes off and on, the wipers turn on, etc. etc. from time to time - mostly while the car is turned off and just sitting, but also while it is running sometimes. Also, the window switches don't work and the power door locks don't work, regardless of whether the car is running or not. I've checked the fuses and they all look fine, including the fusible links. I suspect a problem with a fuse block, but I'm not sure.

I'm about to start calling my car "Christine". Aside from being a PITA, I'm concerned that it could get a lot worse without warning and my wife uses the car for her work at all hours of the day and night.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Larry
Old 12-28-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
Need more info: is your key in the ignition when this happens? Does this happen while the engine is running with your car on park?
Happens with key in ignition, car parked in neutral, car parked in gear, engine running or no key in at all.

Sounds like either the window regulator or motor is gone. If the motor has been replaced, check/replace the regulator.
Well it was actually more than the motor...I replaced the whole track the window ran on, motor and regulator, and it ran fine for a little while. When it stopped working, and when pressing the button you could hear a slight something. I originally thought it could be as simple as something I didnt reconnect tight enough, and came loose.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:01 AM

Happens with key in ignition, car parked in neutral, car parked in gear, engine running or no key in at all.
At first I thought it would be your security system (if it was aftermarket). But now that this happens pretty much at any given circumstances, it could very well be an electrical issue. Unfortunately, this is the kind of stuff that is really hard to troubleshoot online. There are other orgers in here that knows every circuit and relay in the steering column and in the driverside fuse box so hopefully they'll chime in. But if this was to be happening to me, I'd take my car to an automotive electrical shop and have it looked at.

Well it was actually more than the motor...I replaced the whole track the window ran on, motor and regulator, and it ran fine for a little while. When it stopped working, and when pressing the button you could hear a slight something. I originally thought it could be as simple as something I didnt reconnect tight enough, and came loose.
Did you buy them new or used? Buying used electrical components is like crap shoot, sometimes they work for a long while and sometimes they don't. I assume you checked all the fuses?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:10 PM

Did you buy them new or used? Buying used electrical components is like crap shoot, sometimes they work for a long while and sometimes they don't. I assume you checked all the fuses?
Yeah, I did buy them used so that could be the problem. But something else totally slipped my mind until I actually got into my car again. On that same door, the locks dont work. I mean, it will lock if it push it or pull it, but from the keychain and driver-door panel it will not work at all. That's why I was really thinking electrical instead of a problem with the motor, as they all just went out at the same time.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:17 PM

Could be eletrical, maybe that entire switch pod is bad. The only mechanical part in that is the lock/unlock one since it is actuates the lock on the door. Try the other rear door switch pod, the otherside, connect it to the door that doesn't work and see what happens. I'm not sure if they can be switched like that but its worth a try since you won't have to pull the door panels out to check it.

Yeah, I did buy them used so that could be the problem. But something else totally slipped my mind until I actually got into my car again. On that same door, the locks dont work. I mean, it will lock if it push it or pull it, but from the keychain and driver-door panel it will not work at all. That's why I was really thinking electrical instead of a problem with the motor, as they all just went out at the same time.