4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

DAMMIT! Found a fluid leak in line right next to Oil pan...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 10:16 AM

DAMMIT! Found a fluid leak in line right next to Oil pan...

Does anyone know what this line is?? The fluid is clear and somewhat slippery...I think its coolant but not sure...could it also be power steering fluid or something?? The odor isn't very strong...but it has a musty sort of smell. Its on the passenger side right next to/or around the oil pan. Any help would be appreciated before I go to the shop and ask them...

Oh yeah, everything seems to be working fine and the CEL isn't on.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Pics would help.

Coolant should be green (most likely)... could be oil or power steering fluid... hard to tell without more info.

Use imageshack.us for hosting pics... (if you don't another way to host).
Old 01-14-2006, 11:38 AM

After looking at the service manual, I think its power steering fluid...but that's just a guess. Anyway, here are some pics:

In that last one it looks like someone taped up the line or something. Any thoughts???
Old 01-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Actually there are two sepearate things going on.
The oil on that harness is mostly from whent the oil filter is removed (during a routine oil change). It's poor design - but that's how it works. Everytime you pull the filter, you'll get oil on that harness/tape - you can see the filter (white) in the last 2 pics).

In pic3, the harness plugs into the oil pressure sending unit. These are prone to leak and you can see that it is indeed seeping (oil stains all over pan). That part is 10 bucks and takes 5 mins to swap out - do it at the next oil change.

So based on those pics, you've got nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your new ride. Welcome to maxima.org.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by njmodi
That part is 10 bucks and takes 5 mins to swap out - do it at the next oil change.

So based on those pics, you've got nothing to worry about.
Cool, thanks man!! the dealer said they just did an oil change the day I took delivery so that may be what was splattered. I will get the part and swap in during the next oil change!! Thanks a ton man! I was a little worried there for a sec. I'm assuming it won't harm anything to wait until the next change (March) will it???
Old 01-14-2006, 11:52 AM

One other question...what is that line by the way?? Is that the oil pressure sending unit you speak of??
Old 01-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Ya that line is just the wiring to the oil pressure sending unit (that controls the oil light on your dash). No probs waiting until the next oil change.. just keep an eye on the oil level - since you can't be sure of how much is really leaking out.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Actually you can see the sending unit clearly in pic3 above....
Old 01-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by njmodi
leak and you can see that it is indeed seeping (oil stains all over pan). That part is 10 bucks and takes 5 mins to swap out - do it at the next oil change...
...after you've drained the pan. )

Dave
Old 01-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
...after you've drained the pan. )

Dave
Damn you captain obvious

Dave - did you ever get your steering woes resolved ?
Old 01-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Maintenance Monster

No, not really. A really good mechanic and autocrosser aligned and inspected it this summer and he feels it too, but he firmly believes it's because I'm running 225 width tires instead of 215. I find that hard to believe, but surely my next set will be 215s.

I'm going to change back to the stock SE springs (I have some Suspension Techniques 1" drop springs on Tokico Blues now), install new dust boots and coil insulators, and replace the shock mounts if necessary.

Dave
Old 01-18-2006, 05:00 PM

Hey, I haven't done anything since the leak only happens in the early morning (after the temp drops below 30)...but I don't think the leak is oil...its coolant. Any idea where this is leaking from??
Old 01-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Livin dreams thru his Maxima

if it's coolant then I suspect it's coming from ur engine ... cause what I suspect is happening is that ur water pump is going out on u ... most likely the o-rings around it ... so check ur coolant level ... but I'm just assuming here, cause the same thing happened to me .... let me know how it goes

Ali
Old 01-18-2006, 05:19 PM

I think its power steering fluid... check it out...
Old 01-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Ralow
Hey, I haven't done anything since the leak only happens in the early morning (after the temp drops below 30)...but I don't think the leak is oil...its coolant. Any idea where this is leaking from??
In your pics, it's clearly oil... what makes you think it's coolant?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:34 PM

I think its coolant because its greenish and the stain "evaporates" after a full day in the sun...I thought oil stains were forever. I'll check the coolant levels tomorrow. I don't think its power steering fluid but who knows??
Old 01-18-2006, 05:59 PM

start using oem filters.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by SMX95
start using oem filters.
Agree - but that's not why his oil is leaking.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Could be oil, P/S fluid, or coolant. If you think it's coolant, loosen the clamps on any hose near where the leak might be coming from and move them on the hose a little, then re-tighten.

If it's not coolant, it could be P/S fluid from your P/S pump inlet (same fix as for coolant), or your oil pressure sending unit, or where your oil pan bolts to the block.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Ralow
I think its coolant because its greenish and the stain "evaporates" after a full day in the sun...I thought oil stains were forever. I'll check the coolant levels tomorrow. I don't think its power steering fluid but who knows??
Then it's probably coolant, and may be weeping out due to a failing water pump. Sometimes there is coolant, power steering fluid, and oil all collected in this area.

You should just take it to a garage for a free estimate. It beats being stranded with a bad water pump.

Dave
Old 01-19-2006, 01:55 PM

Put a peace of white paper under it to see what color fluid is leaking. More than likely it is motor oil from your oil sending unit or from the oil change when they removed the oil filter.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:22 AM

Ralow, did you get this fixed? I am battling my own mysterious oil leak.

The lines shown in the pictures are the wiring for the oil pressure sending unit, and the one running under the oil filter goes to the crank shaft position sensor, located under the crank shaft pulley.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:23 AM

I never got it fixed cuz the leak stopped on its own. I checked all fluid levels and they are still fine. Not sure what exactly it was. I was just gonna wait until my next oil change and have them look at it since they will be down there anyway.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check to make sure its not the PS hose leaking fluid down on the line for the oil pressure sender. If it's the sender you will see seepage from the oil sender itself. My sender is dry so the leak is coming from somewhere else. Either a PS fluid leak or oil from the oil filter, etc. I think I will steam clean up there and look again for a leak. Also I just had my transaxles replaced. They may have screwed something up when installing the axles.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:48 PM

if yourr leak was coolant, this happened to me last weekend....same leak in same place...pressure test was good and it turned out that the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator was loose and the coolant was moving along the top of the undercarriage and coming out where the water pump is...check that too.....
Old 03-14-2007, 07:47 PM

Bump..i have a questio
I seem to have broke my oil pressure sending unit while doing my axle change. Is it alright to drive withit broken for a while?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Addicted to the Org

i see someone posted yet another old thread. LOL
Old 03-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by maximized98
i see someone posted yet another old thread. LOL
<smack>

Newbie, you're SUPPOSED to bring up an old thread instead of making a brand new one.

As long as the OPS isn't leaking, you can drive it for a while.

Dave
Old 03-15-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
<smack>

Newbie, you're SUPPOSED to bring up an old thread instead of making a brand new one.

As long as the OPS isn't leaking, you can drive it for a while.

Dave
thanks, i'll hold out until the next oil change
Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 AM

my oil pan looks similar to this. i don't mind it. I'm not low on any fluids. i assume most of that stuff is from the oil filter.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by konak85
Bump..i have a questio
I seem to have broke my oil pressure sending unit while doing my axle change. Is it alright to drive withit broken for a while?
I wouldnt do it, you should be able to pick up a replacement sensor at autozone or advanced auto parts.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Fuhget About It.....

If your coolant is leaking only in the morning, it could be the water pump, mine did that and it drove me nuts until I got it fixed. If you let it ride you'll notice that you are going through alot of coolant. I say get your water pump looked at and replace it b4 you put the equivalent of its price in coolant.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:25 PM

The guy who started this thread should have his problem fixed by now (a year ago) but for those reading the above post, PLEASE don't always assume the water pump is the culprit when you have a coolant leak, because if you do (like I did) you may find that it is a gasket somewhere else, like on the engine block. Have it pressure tested--do it the right way.

And for the poster who resurrected this thread, don't drive long on a bad sending unit (OPS/OPSU). If you had a leak or developed one, the pressure sensor (being faulty) will not notify you of low pressure and you could end up with serious damage from the leak.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by cam_honestiam
The guy who started this thread should have his problem fixed by now (a year ago) but for those reading the above post, PLEASE don't always assume the water pump is the culprit when you have a coolant leak, because if you do (like I did) you may find that it is a gasket somewhere else, like on the engine block. Have it pressure tested--do it the right way.

And for the poster who resurrected this thread, don't drive long on a bad sending unit (OPS/OPSU). If you had a leak or developed one, the pressure sensor (being faulty) will not notify you of low pressure and you could end up with serious damage from the leak.
I'll keep an eye on the oil level until my next oil change, thats i'll replace it.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:34 PM

Man, this is OLD! I was just browsing and came across this again. Anyway, I had the dealer look at this issue when I had them do the 105K service last May and they said it was just the oil sensor. They said that part is notorious for the "slow leak" in older cars but its no big deal and that you could drive around as long as you want cuz the leak is so small that it will never be an issue as long as you change the oil regularly...it will just stain your garage with little spots. Anyway, they said they could replace it for like $70 bucks....but I just laughed and drove right to Autozone and replaced it for around $20 including oil, filter, etc. (I waited til my next oil change BTW). I think that sensor cost $7 or something...I could be wrong but it definitely wasn't more than $12. Either way, I just used the instructions here:
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/514
and was done in 30 min. I also had to do an oil change since the oil will drain out when you replace this part.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Fuhget About It.....

Originally Posted by konak85
Bump..i have a questio

seems like the culprit who bumped it....we all followed suit with the original question.........or at least I did
Old 03-18-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by maximafrenzy
seems like the culprit who bumped it....we all followed suit with the original question.........or at least I did
next time be more careful