4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Headlight Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Bacon Lover

Headlight Wiring Harness

Attempting to fix an issue with my projectors here, but have a question about the stock headlight harness. I need to know which wire is low, high, and ground. Don't give me wire colors, I need to know where each wire is on the plug (left, middle, right...doesn't matter which direction you face to me). I ask because I'm attempting something with a Nokya harness, which doesn't use the same colors.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Bacon Lover

Bump...surely SOMEONE knows...it seems like such a simple request to me
Old 01-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Do I get a tax break?

pebble beige metallic is high
pearl white is low
rosewood is ground

(just kidding)... free bump... heh heh.

still having lighting issues with your HIDs?
Old 01-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Bacon Lover

The HIDs are fine...the projectors just need aimed up a little, the angel eyes need wired in, and I need to get my high beams working. This is why I'm asking, so I can get my high beams working. maxgtr2000 thought I had the 9007 conversion done, so if I just do the conversion (the wiring part of it) I'm hoping to get the high beams working.

I'm attempting it on a Nokya harness, though, to save the HID wiring and stock harness.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Bacon Lover

One last bump for the evening...
Old 01-17-2006, 08:32 PM

hmm. I be thinkin' I might go with a harness upgrade as well.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Here is what I can tell you (I am extracting this from the FSM):

Terminal 1: High
Terminal 2: Low
Terminal 3: Ground

With the clip on top, terminals 1, 2, 3 are from left to right.

Do you have the FSM - refer to EL-41 to confirm what I am saying.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Donating i30 Owner

damm i forgot .. i made a wiring harness with relays and the whoel 9 yards and i just cant remember...

i figurered it out before by taking a bulb i had lying around a 35 watt fog light bulb of some sort.. then attaced small wires turned on headlights..a nd bamm.. nothing.. so i moved the one of the wires into another spot and there it worked.. so obviously... i knew the 3rd one was highbeam...

wait... can i ask a quesiton if u have ur hid's connected..? then i assume its off the lowbeam line... so whatever the 3rd one is that u dont have connected is the highbeam...
Old 01-18-2006, 04:09 AM
Bacon Lover

Hmm. Well, I took a stab in the dark last night and it looks like I did it wrong

njmodi, I don't see that diagram on EL-41
Old 01-18-2006, 06:18 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Hmm. Well, I took a stab in the dark last night and it looks like I did it wrong

njmodi, I don't see that diagram on EL-41
Damn man.. you're the only 16yr old I know who gets up at 6am

alright... let me look at the page number again

Try EL-38 - I have 2 different versions of the FSM...
Old 01-18-2006, 09:17 AM
VK56 Inside

Here's a tip. Look for the cefiro write up. It has the diagram with the 9004 to H4 Conversion.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Bacon Lover

Doesn't matter now, actually. I tried 2 different ways of switching the wires around and all do the same thing: keep the low beam, but still don't give me my high beam. Looks like the HID harness will have to be hacked up

Oh well, thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:14 PM
VK56 Inside

Yeah thats kind of weird. I got my H4's wired 180 out the first time. I had low beams, but they were very dim and my high beam indicator on the gauge cluster was dimly lit. I was still able to use high beams this way though.

I have fixed them now.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Project Ruby......

This is what Andrew, MaxGTR sent me. Not sure if it would help ya.

Facing the car, the white wire with the knot tied in it splices into the highbeam wire which would be the wire on the left.

Yellow to yellow, brown to brown for the highbeam solenoids, and wire the angel eyes to the corner lights in the cefiros. You may nee to use a test light to determine that polarity. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Bacon Lover

Ehh at this point the HID wiring needs played with. He sent me all the specs on how get it wired right.

The projectors are for sale now, actually ...
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=4645945
Old 01-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Ehh at this point the HID wiring needs played with. He sent me all the specs on how get it wired right.

The projectors are for sale now, actually ...
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=4645945

What ! after all that work (fiddling, installing) you're giving up! Come on man... don't worry about the high-beams right now... your low beams w/projectors are better than my high beams with 9004... just give it a go in a few days, and you'll figure out why you're high-beams aren't working... don't let frustration get the better of you.

Just my 2c.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by njmodi
What ! after all that work (fiddling, installing) you're giving up! Come on man... don't worry about the high-beams right now... your low beams w/projectors are better than my high beams with 9004... just give it a go in a few days, and you'll figure out why you're high-beams aren't working... don't let frustration get the better of you.

Just my 2c.
I doubt anyone will buy them anyway, so it's not really an issue. People see the asking price and probably crap their pants.

Oh and my low beams...they WOULD be better than 9004, sure, if they were aimed right. As of right now, they are aimed so low that the light actually doesn't even go as far as the 9004 low beam. Much wider and brighter, yes, but the actual visibility is less because I can't see as far ahead of me.

The wiring isn't the issue, eventually that could be figured out. The issue is the aiming of the projectors. I didn't do the retrofit, and no one I know or even within driving distance has ever done a retrofit or knows the first thing about aiming these things. I paid somebody to do this for me for a reason. I don't know a d4mned thing about how to aim these projectors, nor do I feel like tearing them apart even if I did know how.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Do I get a tax break?

So what's your source saying about aiming them (i.e. whoever built them for you)

I can't help much - since I've never done this myself. I thought they had to be pretty much aimed when they were retro'd into the oem lights... I thought slight adjustment may be possible, but not gross adjustments that you seem to need.

The price will scare of the :newbies: - for anyone who understands the true cost, it's only 100bucks more than what it would cost to do it themselves.. so it's not a bad deal... good luck man.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Bacon Lover

It's maxgtr2000. He's telling me that I should still be able to aim the headlights. I haven't been using the best tools to try and aim them, nor did I have any knowledge of what to do, so I probably did it wrong the first time anyway. So I'll give that another go this weekend and hopefully get them adjusted.

The wiring issue should be solved pretty easily now, too, since he's explained to me what needs done (basically splicing 1 wire...)
Old 01-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Do I get a tax break?

What - your're seveteen now? What did I miss...

... the days of being 17...
Old 01-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Do I get a tax break?

What - your're seventeen now? What did I miss...

Old 01-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Bacon Lover

What - your're seveteen now? What did I miss...

I've been 17 since November
Old 01-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Do I get a tax break?

I've been 17 since November
ha ha ha.. I'll have a beer for ya
Old 01-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Bacon Lover

Sounds good.

Question: what would you suggest for wiring up my angel eyes? I'm going to tap into my clearance lights for power, and I want them on with the clearance lights and fogs, too, but when the projectors are on I want the angel eyes off. How would you suggest I go about setting that up? On with clearance...but not projectors. Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Do I get a tax break?

I thinking about your lighting problem... There is no switched power matching the behavior you want... the simplest maybe to just run a seperate switch into the cabin and use that to control the angel-eyes exclusively... but then you have to remember to switch them off when the lights are on.. let me think about it...
Old 01-18-2006, 08:46 PM

I'll have one too in that case.

Please don't give up on these so easily - they really set your car apart from what it was before. It looks so mean right now, you owe it to yourself to get these right.

I don't understand your aiming problem correctly, because I haven't even aimed my 9004 headlights.

Like I said in the f/s thread, it's one wire that needs to be spliced/switched for you to run a 9007 bulb, which apparently will fix your problem. Again, good luck with this project, it'll be worth the effort.

On a side note, you never carried out that 9007 conversion that you were asking questions about earlier this year sometime?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:14 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
I'll have one too in that case.

Please don't give up on these so easily - they really set your car apart from what it was before. It looks so mean right now, you owe it to yourself to get these right.

I don't understand your aiming problem correctly, because I haven't even aimed my 9004 headlights.

Like I said in the f/s thread, it's one wire that needs to be spliced/switched for you to run a 9007 bulb, which apparently will fix your problem. Again, good luck with this project, it'll be worth the effort.

On a side note, you never carried out that 9007 conversion that you were asking questions about earlier this year sometime?
Thanks for the compliments. Actually, I don't need to do the 9007 conversion. maxgtr2000 told me to leave everything as-is, and splice the high beam wire from my stock harness (I'm using a Nokya one to avoid butchering my stock one, but still) directly into the high beam wire on the HID harness. Apparently this will fix it. The aiming issue I have "sort of" figured out and will hopefully be correcting tommorrow night.

I don't remember asking about the 9007 conversion, though. I was running Nokya harnesses and overwattage bulbs for the last couple months before the projectors got to me, but...