4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Flood Damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 01:00 PM

All,
My 96 SE was up over its tailpipe in Water for ~6hours. It did not make it to the air intake, car was parked the entire time, and I did not start it until 8 hours after it was out of the water. What type of damage am I looking at? Wheel bearings, computers, CV Boots/joints, Computers? I'm getting estimates from $800-$8K! What is realistic for this car. The carpeting got wet and maybe the bottom of the seats.
Old 06-07-2001, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by shatelb
All,
My 96 SE was up over its tailpipe in Water for ~6hours. It did not make it to the air intake, car was parked the entire time, and I did not start it until 8 hours after it was out of the water. What type of damage am I looking at? Wheel bearings, computers, CV Boots/joints, Computers? I'm getting estimates from $800-$8K! What is realistic for this car. The carpeting got wet and maybe the bottom of the seats.
Over the tailpipe? Just how far over? It makes a difference!

Remove the carpet, let it dry in the warm sunshine, spray it with an anti-mildew product, and re-install. No further work or expense is warranted.

A word of encouragement... I expect your car to run perfectly well. Pay no attention to the alarmists.
Old 06-07-2001, 03:37 PM

Just about 2" over the tailpipe. Looks like no major components in the dash or fuse boxes in the engine bay were soaked except for maybe a little spray.
Thanks

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Over the tailpipe? Just how far over? It makes a difference!

Remove the carpet, let it dry in the warm sunshine, spray it with an anti-mildew product, and re-install. No further work or expense is warranted.

A word of encouragement... I expect your car to run perfectly well. Pay no attention to the alarmists.
Old 06-07-2001, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by shatelb
Just about 2" over the tailpipe. Looks like no major components in the dash or fuse boxes in the engine bay were soaked except for maybe a little spray.
Thanks

Your car will be fine.
Old 06-07-2001, 04:02 PM

man, i went to Infiniti today to get some struts and i see this J30 that got flooded. they got it to start up somehow and the floored the engine at like 45 sec intervals. at least a bath tub full of water came out and its shot out over 20 feet. it was crazy and cool and sad all at them same time. has nothing to do with the post but just thought i'd share...
Old 06-07-2001, 05:24 PM

Did this happen from a lot of rain? Id like to know the story
thanks,
Old 06-07-2001, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by maxkid77
Did this happen from a lot of rain? Id like to know the story
thanks,
it flooded in my area this morning, right below houston, texas. massive flooding from tropical storm allison.
Old 06-07-2001, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by _DRU_

it flooded in my area this morning, right below houston, texas. massive flooding from tropical storm alicia.
bummer, well the best of luck to you!
Old 06-07-2001, 06:18 PM

FLOOD DAMAGES

VERY IMPORTANT MAKE SURE WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR CAR BACK YOU CHANGE ALL THE FLUIDS (OIL, TRANNY, P/S, BREAK)FAILURE TO DO SOME WILL CAUSE FURTHER DAMAGE. YOU WILL NEED TO DO THIS 3 TIMES :AS SOON AS YOU GET IT BACK CHANGE THE THE FLUIDS BEFORE YOU REALLY DRIVE IT AROUND AND A WEEK OR 2 LATER DO IT AGAIN AND THEN AGAIN IN ABOUT A MONTH. THIS WILL INSURE THAT ALL WATER OR MOISTURE IS OUT OF THE SYSTEMS. BEST OF LUCK
Old 06-07-2001, 06:23 PM

Netiquette

Originally posted by BJWPD96@AOL.COM
VERY IMPORTANT MAKE SURE WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR CAR BACK YOU CHANGE ALL THE FLUIDS (OIL, TRANNY, P/S, BREAK)FAILURE TO DO SOME WILL CAUSE FURTHER DAMAGE. YOU WILL NEED TO DO THIS 3 TIMES :AS SOON AS YOU GET IT BACK CHANGE THE THE FLUIDS BEFORE YOU REALLY DRIVE IT AROUND AND A WEEK OR 2 LATER DO IT AGAIN AND THEN AGAIN IN ABOUT A MONTH. THIS WILL INSURE THAT ALL WATER OR MOISTURE IS OUT OF THE SYSTEMS. BEST OF LUCK
A gentle word of constructive criticism... It is a violation of netiquette to post a message with all capital letters. It makes people think YOU ARE SHOUTING! If you read the postings of other Maxima.Org members you will see they use mostly lower case.
Old 06-08-2001, 06:28 AM

yeah,
I'm just south/southwest of the GRB Convention center in h-town. Happened Tuesday, TS Allison. Waded home, had left my Max out on the street and found it in water. Couldn;t do anything till the next morning. Sat there in water at least 6 hours about 2" up past tailpipe.

Originally posted by _DRU_

it flooded in my area this morning, right below houston, texas. massive flooding from tropical storm allison.
Old 06-08-2001, 06:41 AM

Re: Netiquette

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
A gentle word of constructive criticism... It is a violation of netiquette to post a message with all capital letters. It makes people think YOU ARE SHOUTING! If you read the postings of other Maxima.Org members you will see they use mostly lower case.
Yes, and its very hard to read with upper case letters.