4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question ... about cutting stock springs to lower.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 05:59 PM

Question ... about cutting stock springs to lower.

ok.. b4 people start giving me lectures.. i know your not soppose to cut stock springs to lower your car. i know all the drawbacks that come with the theory of doing it. ive been here long enough , so save me the lectures please.

what i wanna know, is if anyone has done it, how many coils you cut, how much of a drop did that yield, what struts did you use, what wheel/tire size did you use, what other set-ups youve had ( so i know you have something to compare it to) and how the car drove, how did it ride, how did it handle.

im growing sick of the ride with my lowered car, but i cant stand the sight of stock height. instead of hearing people lecture about cutting springs, i wanna hear from someone who actually has done it.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:01 PM
UCF Lexus

No one's done it because it's NOT the thing to do.
Save up and buy springs/struts and do it the RIGHT way.

/thread
Old 01-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Maxima Owner

bad idea IMO....it will totally discombobulate your spring rates and ish.....aftermarket springs are cheap enough just save and buy some
Old 01-24-2006, 06:13 PM

if you people would read the thread.. i have them already.. and yes people have cut springs, cause ive talked to people who have done it.. i dont want suggestions, i want someones experience..
Old 01-24-2006, 06:15 PM
UCF Lexus

You said
im growing sick of the ride with my lowered car, but i cant stand the sight of stock height
which makes it seem you have it dropped on the front and stock on the rear or some sh*t...

Are you thinking about cutting your stock springs and putting them on?
Old 01-24-2006, 06:18 PM
dot dot dot ...

Rides like a go cart, looks good in some peoples opinion.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:18 PM
I Broke OT

Originally Posted by bijangxe

You said

which makes it seem you have it dropped on the front and stock on the rear or some sh*t...

Are you thinking about cutting your stock springs and putting them on?
i'm purty confused too. why don't you just try different springs? try H&R's for a mild drop that will still feel comfortable? cutting springs will not help your issues.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Back from the dead

Im thinking he wants something comfortable, but he doesnt want to have uber 4x4 gap. Basically soft suspension but lowered. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. If you lower the car, youre gonna have a loss of comfort. live with it. its a double edged sword.

/thread
Old 01-24-2006, 06:27 PM

listen guys.. all do respect.. i appreciate your willingness to help out, but ive been posting on this board since b4 u guys even had a drivers liscense.. i have h&r's. i have illumiana's. i have sub frame connectors. i have a lower tie bar. ive had about 5 different suspension set ups, 15's, 16's 17's and 18's.. countless tires..

the only reason im asking this guestion, is cuase this is the only set up i have no experience with, and i want to hear from people that have actually had it..

so much mis-information gets passed around on this board, you really have to take things with a grain a salt on here.. i dont want a lecture.. i want someone's FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE... but thanks anyway
Old 01-24-2006, 06:30 PM

You said

what post are you reading that even put that thought in your head.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:30 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
but ive been posting on this board since b4 u guys even had a drivers liscense..
Ahh ... So that makes you more knowledgable than any of us, or what are you implying?

The members that did this on Sprints (one gone in front) are gone from this site and have moved on(some may stille exsist), but since you've been here forever, you knew that.

Donate and search.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:39 PM
UCF Lexus

listen guys.. all do respect.. i appreciate your willingness to help out, but ive been posting on this board since b4 u guys even had a drivers liscense.. i have h&r's. i have illumiana's. i have sub frame connectors. i have a lower tie bar. ive had about 5 different suspension set ups, 15's, 16's 17's and 18's.. countless tires..

the only reason im asking this guestion, is cuase this is the only set up i have no experience with, and i want to hear from people that have actually had it..

so much mis-information gets passed around on this board, you really have to take things with a grain a salt on here.. i dont want a lecture.. i want someone's FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE... but thanks anyway
I've been on here since 02....so what?

Reason your asking is cuz you're obv. thinking about doing it...

I've seen 1 person cut 1 coil off the front 2 of Eibachs....and it sat a lot lower, of course, but was VERY bouncy.....smooth roads (which are very rare) were very smooth....but you can feel everything basically.

It's not a good idea.

Mis-information...wha? Where?

People tellin you its not something youd want to do arent pulling it out of their exhaust pipe...they've seen it or had it at some point.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:39 PM

the ideal set-up the person would of had, that i would wanna hear from, would be:::

automatic 4th gen max
cut stock spring, that yielded a 1.5" drop
aftermarket struts. either soemthing stiff, like a gr-2, or an adjustable. if adjustable, what settings?
17 inch rims, with either summer , or grand touring tires.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:41 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Ahh ... So that makes you more knowledgable than any of us, or what are you implying?

The members that did this on Sprints (one gone in front) are gone from this site and have moved on(some may still exsist), but since you've been here forever, you knew that.

Donate and search
Quoted for truth ...

http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=14511
http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=16763
http://www.forums.maxima.org/showpos...04&postcount=3
http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=33573
http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=54352
http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=72627
Old 01-24-2006, 06:41 PM
UCF Lexus

the ideal set-up the person would of had, that i would wanna hear from, would be:::

automatic 4th gen max
cut stock spring, that yielded a 1.5" drop
aftermarket struts. either soemthing stiff, like a gr-2, or an adjustable. if adjustable, what settings?
17 inch rims, with either summer , or grand touring tires

aint gona happen
Old 01-24-2006, 06:43 PM
UCF Lexus

Old 01-24-2006, 06:47 PM
amimaxima

my friend did it on tw of his cars.
he has a 93 honda civic vx and he cut 4 coils and it dropped 4 inches
and his other car is a 94 prode and he did the same thing

Old 01-24-2006, 06:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

Made sure it they were from the Golden Days ..
Old 01-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Quoted for major pwnag3.

Moving along now boys....
Old 01-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by amimaxima

No further explanation is necessary. Have a good day.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:50 PM

never said i was more knowledgable.. but i asked in the first sentence to spare me the lecture, cause i know your not suppose to do it. in my last sentence, i mentioned my car being lowered, so obviously i have some kinda system already on my car.

am i thinking about doing it? im exploring ideas yea.

where is there mis-information on the board? everywhere... which is why i always ask to speak to people that have actually had what im asking about. its something i suggest everyone does.

you mentioned what springs your friend had, but left out every other suspension part.

people swear up and down on here that a car with eibachs, gr-2's and 18's has a close to stock ride quality.. i also tell people im the pope from time to time..
Old 01-24-2006, 06:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

He went

Originally Posted by amimaxima
Thank you for your major contribution and outstanding effort. Do you prefer Oreos, or chocolate chip?
Old 01-24-2006, 06:55 PM
dot dot dot ...

So....
but ive been posting on this board since b4 u guys even had a drivers liscense
never said i was more knowledgable
And finally ..
what are you implying?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:00 PM

dont know what your praising.. its 3 threads of people saying dont do it, with people that have done it, saying their car rides fine.. and or 3 links that serve absloutely no purpose for me.. but while your on your knee's..
Old 01-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Maxima Owner

sounds like someone that has gone threw 5 different suspension setups would get the hint on buying some TRUE COILOVERS....lets say the average ebay purchases suspension is 500 dollars....u have been thru 5 so u ahve spent 2500 bux on diffferent combos...thats JIC Coilovers with sub-frames tiebars and an 00VI and y-pipe
Old 01-24-2006, 07:06 PM

So.... And finally ..
k.. ill explain as i would to a 5 year old.. I HAVE BEEN HERE LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW PEOPLE DONT READ WHAT I ASK FOR IN MY FIRST POST SO I HAVE TO TALK LIKE THIS TO RESPOND...
Old 01-24-2006, 07:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

dont know what your praising..
Donate there's at least 5 pages of threads, I only picked out the first Golden Day ones. Come to think of it, I was the original poster in one of those links
Old 01-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you people would read the thread.. i have them already.. and yes people have cut springs, cause ive talked to people who have done it.. i dont want suggestions, i want someones experience..
I think the honduh boards are where you'd be able to get an answer.

No sarcasm. I'm really being serious. They probably know all about this topic.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
sounds like someone that has gone threw 5 different suspension setups would get the hint on buying some TRUE COILOVERS....lets say the average ebay purchases suspension is 500 dollars....u have been thru 5 so u ahve spent 2500 bux on diffferent combos...thats JIC Coilovers with sub-frames tiebars and an 00VI and y-pipe
no.. the situation is more like, sounds like the guy just bought a house, doesnt wanna invest tons of money into a 10 year old car anymore, and doesnt wanna deal with the inconvience and noises that are associated with having a coilover system.. and just to set the record straight... a coilover system doesnt mean the car rides better than a car with lowering springs, it just means you can adjust the ride height.. thank you.. good day..
dot dot dot ...

I HAVE BEEN HERE LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW PEOPLE DONT READ WHAT I ASK FOR IN MY FIRST POST SO I HAVE TO TALK LIKE THIS TO RESPOND.
Then you should know that searching is better than posting.
Maxima Owner

k.. ill explain as i would to a 5 year old.. I HAVE BEEN HERE LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW PEOPLE DONT READ WHAT I ASK FOR IN MY FIRST POST SO I HAVE TO TALK LIKE THIS TO RESPOND...
then that also means u have been on here long enough to know that nothing rides like factory springs....to eliminate wheel gap and still have a comfy ride u must invest serious dollars in coilovers because a spring/strut combo wont be anythign like stock comfyness...even H&Rs which u have....
Old 01-24-2006, 07:13 PM

Donate
no.......

and yes, those threads are filled with the same people in here, that only read what other people have written, and have never had it on there cars..
Old 01-24-2006, 07:16 PM
UCF Lexus

Put it this way...

If you cut your springs...it'll be like ice skatings uphill
Maxima Owner

ok ill post something similar to cutting coils....i heated my coils up so they dropped about 1.5".......its was horrible the ride sucked...blew out my struts and made funny noises

Then you should know that searching is better than posting.
good idea.. ill read through 40 pages of stuff instead of just asking a specefic question . there wouldnt be a problem if people like you would saty off the thread and let the people i asked to respond, speak for themselves
Old 01-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Driving is the next best thing

ok.. b4 people start giving me lectures.. i know your not soppose to cut stock springs to lower your car. i know all the drawbacks that come with the theory of doing it. ive been here long enough , so save me the lectures please.

what i wanna know, is if anyone has done it, how many coils you cut, how much of a drop did that yield, what struts did you use, what wheel/tire size did you use, what other set-ups youve had ( so i know you have something to compare it to) and how the car drove, how did it ride, how did it handle.

im growing sick of the ride with my lowered car, but i cant stand the sight of stock height. instead of hearing people lecture about cutting springs, i wanna hear from someone who actually has done it.
here's some info I found out some time ago:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=447301

IMO: aftermarket springs give the best of both worlds since they are progressive. By cutting your own springs you are free to set up your car the way you want it (for racing), but most aftermarket springs will give you a better ride.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

there wouldnt be a problem if people like you would saty off the thread and let the people i asked to respond, speak for themselves
Can't have your way all the time can we.

I was just like you 5 years ago.. Got mixed reviews, tried cutting them without heating them (chose losw heat in order to mainatin mechanical properties)
http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=2115
But I never could find the patience to sit there with a saw. Still sitting on 'stock' Eibachs.

You will get mixed reviews and the people who cut their springs hardly come out, or some will tell you a freind of a friend has this set-up and.......

Fact is everyone has their own opinion on how a car rides with X setup etc.

There's a lot to find if you donated....

I say cut your springs. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you wont. You never know until you try it.

Aftermarket springs have a progressive design and get stiffer as they are pushed to their limits.

I've ridden in cars that had their springs but, and heated(torched) and both are bouncy and uncomfortable, that's just my opinion....
Old 01-24-2006, 07:19 PM

Put it this way...

If you cut your springs...it'll be like ice skatings uphill
well i cant seem to picture and spring bouncing out of control with an illumia strut set on 5.. listen dude.. i dont want your advice. so save the bandwith and stop posting here if your so concerned ..
Old 01-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Maxima Owner

goto summit racing u can get individual coil springs in all kinds of rates and heights and diameters
Old 01-24-2006, 07:22 PM
on this site too damn much

did you post this thread for laughs?.....if you've been on here for 3 years you should know how people are gonna respond to a thread like this. From what I've heard with other cars (used to be on the honda forums cause I owned an accord) it is the worst ride possible and you'll feel nothing but your suspension bottoming out when you hit a slight bump. I don't understand why you would want to do this if you only want a 1.5" drop?

Quick Reply: Question ... about cutting stock springs to lower.