4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

lost interior lighting: door, LED dome, cathode trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lost interior lighting: door, LED dome, cathode trunk

installed the LED dome light that metal maxima has been selling on tuesday, it worked fine tuesday and wednesday. thursday morning, i took it to the mechanic for a list of things. i was out of town till last night and picked it up this morning. came out of work, unlocked my car with the remote, the dome didnt come on. neither did the doors, nor the trunk.

ive also got two 12" cold cathodes in the trunk.

blow a fuse while at the mechanic? which? the one labled "room light" or the one labled "interior illumini" or something else?

all the dash lights work, all the exterior lights work, climate control and radio both are unaffected

thanks
Old 01-25-2006, 12:21 AM

urrrrr....shouldn't u have posted this BEFORE you took it to the mechanic??? BTW, next time for an electrical problem like this, check ur fuses before you take it to a mechanic. Hope he didn't charge you too much for this diagnosis.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:29 AM

sorry, i wasnt clear

it seems to have happened WHILE it was at the mechanic
Old 01-25-2006, 12:37 AM

i'm sorry, but now i don't get it. so what are you asking?? are all your lights fine now?? and are you asking why you blew the fuse?? if you're asking why you blew the fuse, it could be many of reasons. Very well could be a strong electrical current going through your car. Could be an old old fuse. It's just a fuse. and if it doesn't keep on blowing, then who cares. if it does, then you should post that it is. dunno if i helped or not
Old 01-25-2006, 12:44 AM

i dont know what happened
its still broken
im assuming its a fuse
i dont know which fuse

it was fine wednesday night, thursday morning when i dropped it off it was light, so i didnt notice. tuesday (today) morning when i picked it up, it was light so i didnt notice. came out of work today, it was dark, it wasnt on

assuming its a fuse, im wondering if i should put a bigger one in. i have the led dome light, rather than the stock. i have the cold cathodes spliced into the trunk, and soon ill be switching the doors over the LED assemblies too
Old 01-25-2006, 04:17 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

It's a fuses, no doubt about it. All of the aforementioned lights are connected to the same circut, I don't recall the exact name of the fuse location, but it's going to be a 10A fuse, so check them all.

IIRC, it is going to be a 10A fuse located in the panel beneath the hood.

Sounds as if something shorted, I sincerley hope the mechanic did not tamper with anything when he was performing his work...

Oh, and no need to use a larger fuse, the LEDs & CCFLs actually draw less current.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:46 AM
I need an intervention

Im interested in the location of that fuse as well... better yet does anyone have a fuse diagram mainly for the ones located near the hood release?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:10 AM
I need an intervention

lol nm, im an idiot.. its on the back of that cover
Oh and its a 7.5 amp fuse
Old 01-25-2006, 10:56 AM

yeah, theres two that im thinking it could be, both are 7.5A. im going to pull one of the three (?!) telephone fuses and swap them to see if that fixes it

edit

just went out and did it, it's the one labled "room lamp," very top, center column

when i go get another fuse to replace it, should i get a few 7.5A and hope it doesnt blow again, or should i get a slightly bigger one?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:15 PM

dont get a bigger fuse. that fuse was meant to be that size. if you get a bigger fuse, you are correct, you will not blow it. But it means that you are ignoring a serious problem you are encountering. If it keeps on blowing, you might had a positive touching a ground n vice versa.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:07 PM

i also have the same problem. but only my top dome light in the center, not my the front of the car, is out... i just checked the fuse and its still good...what else could it be?

my door lights still work too
Old 01-25-2006, 08:15 PM
I need an intervention

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
If it keeps on blowing, you might had a positive touching a ground n vice versa.
That was my problem so i ended up just taping the whole backside of the dome assembly with electrical tape and left room only for the plug and screws.. works perfect now.

sook.. when i went to buy a fuse i saw they only came in 5 packs which was good cuz i blew a couple more till i got fed up and taped that b1tch up. But i think you have a bigger problem since you werent workin on the car when the fuse blew so you dont know what couldve happened. You need to isolate the problem area somehow..maybe talk to your mechanic see what he played around with on your car.

95GLEMAX doesnt sound like a fuse problem... more like you have a loose contact on the dome assembly maybe. You have LED's or the stock bulb?