4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

So...it was a rough night

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 04:59 PM

So...it was a rough night

Just a little story I thought I'd share with fellow 4th gen owners. I work in a shop and put in my new alternator today (brand new bought off of some wholesale site online), put on a new belt, fired the car up and everything was great. Battery light and brake light went out, just as I had expected. Of course I was dumb and never tested the alternator to make sure it was charging because I "assumed" that since it was brand new and not a rebuilt that I wouldn't have a problem. I'll put it this way...I made it about 15 miles before my car simply died due to the battery being drained (and I'm surprised I even made it that far running on just the battery). So it was a long night calling AAA and having the max towed back to work so I can tend to it tomorrow. Moral of my story...check charging system after installing alternator to make sure it's actually working
Old 01-25-2006, 05:21 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by bhmax16
Just a little story I thought I'd share with fellow 4th gen owners. I work in a shop and put in my new alternator today (brand new bought off of some wholesale site online), put on a new belt, fired the car up and everything was great. Battery light and brake light went out, just as I had expected. Of course I was dumb and never tested the alternator to make sure it was charging because I "assumed" that since it was brand new and not a rebuilt that I wouldn't have a problem. I'll put it this way...I made it about 15 miles before my car simply died due to the battery being drained (and I'm surprised I even made it that far running on just the battery). So it was a long night calling AAA and having the max towed back to work so I can tend to it tomorrow. Moral of my story...check charging system after installing alternator to make sure it's actually working
alternator>you
Old 01-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Moral of the story is to stay away from cheap rebuilds and stick to OEM parts - especially for alternators & starters

Although, if the alternator wasn't charging, I would have expected to see the brake/battery lights set.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:59 PM

can some one help me since i cant post yet i got this code 02 01 (Ignition Signal Circuit) what do i check or fix im new here and my wife barely told me the maxima is wasting ALOT of gas and the exhuast smells like gas big time and the first piston on the left is misfiring (by the bumper) can some please help me out she told me she has been driving like that for like 3 months (thats her work car/gas saver) its a 1995 MAXIMA se sorry for using your thread bhMAX
Old 01-25-2006, 06:13 PM
vsamoylov

well that sucks man. lol. and dont you jsut love the location of it.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by 1995 MAXIMA se
can some one help me since i cant post yet i got this code 02 01 (Ignition Signal Circuit) what do i check or fix im new here and my wife barely told me the maxima is wasting ALOT of gas and the exhuast smells like gas big time and the first piston on the left is misfiring (by the bumper) can some please help me out she told me she has been driving like that for like 3 months (thats her work car/gas saver) its a 1995 MAXIMA se sorry for using your thread bhMAX
Since you know the misfiring cylinder (how do you know btw?)

1. Check the plug
2. Check the coilpack
3. Check the injector

And don't thread-*****.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Moral of the story is to stay away from cheap rebuilds and stick to OEM parts - especially for alternators & starters

Although, if the alternator wasn't charging, I would have expected to see the brake/battery lights set.
Well it wasnt a cheap rebuild, though not OEM either. It was a BRAND NEW alternator...one of the NSAs that you can get from Rockauto or similar autoparts internet store.

My maxima has been having all kinds of problems with the electrical system and sensors, etc... I just pulled a code today for my ABS actuator motor, so now I have to look into that tomorrow as well as the alternator issue. It just never ends. I feel like I work on my car more than my customer's cars, though it certainly isnt a bad deal to get paid to work on my own car. Tonight got me quite pissed though.......you live and learn. Guess I was this time though
Old 01-25-2006, 06:41 PM
Do I get a tax break?

See here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=452787
For major OEM alternator pwnag3