4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

steering clunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 11:56 AM

steering clunk

Yep, I've got the low speed "clunking" that indicates need for strut bearing replacement...I was shipped a round, black, plastic piece (kinda scallopped out from the center mounting hole. Is THIS a bearing?? Does this piece slve the problem?? I really thought a "bearing" would be a metal housing with little round bearings suspended in grease type affair. WTF! I can't get the idea of replacing a round molded doughnut on the top of a "strut mount" is really going to solve my problems. Can somebody 'splain it to me, please!!! Doug
Old 01-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Donating i30 Owner

nope its liek plasticish.... with metal ***** in them...

and it shoudl be two parts put together.. and you should be able to hold the corners and rotate the inner part or vise versa...

yea.. its amaxing how ur car sits on this.. make shure u got nissan ones.. there great..
Old 01-27-2006, 12:09 PM

What you got is a strut mount. If it's a complete assembly it should have a bearing in there. The clunking sound you hear, if it comes from the strut mount, happens when the rubber bushing dries out and cracks. And then when you hit a bump there is metal-metal contact.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:16 PM

Let me get this right... The black, plastic doughnut (scalloped, wafer-like w/ NO bearings in it) is the only thing that I should replace or should I also replace what i see referred to as the "strut mount" that seems to be a metal piece w/ protruding bolts (that I assume has the bearings inside IT)??? PLEASE, reference answers with OEM Nissan part ##'s 'cause I don't want to get a KYB "kit" unless I just can't get this figured out. I really appreciate your help and ask your forgiving my lack of "gettin' it". Thanks, Doug
Old 01-27-2006, 12:25 PM

The plastic donut thing is the bearing. It looks like this:

http://www.rockauto.com/ref/Monroe/D...ltype=mounting

The metal thing with the studs is the mount. If your bearing is bad you'd hear a noise when you turn the wheels. It wouldnt be a clunk.

The mount is what is bad. If your noise is caused by the struts. It could also be your ball joint, control arms, tie rod ends... basically anything having to do with suspension and bearing loads.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by packerZ
Yep, I've got the low speed "clunking" that indicates need for strut bearing replacement...I was shipped a round, black, plastic piece (kinda scallopped out from the center mounting hole. Is THIS a bearing?? Does this piece slve the problem?? I really thought a "bearing" would be a metal housing with little round bearings suspended in grease type affair. WTF! I can't get the idea of replacing a round molded doughnut on the top of a "strut mount" is really going to solve my problems. Can somebody 'splain it to me, please!!! Doug
Are you sure a low speed clunk is your strut bearing/mount?

That should be more of a crunk crunk crunk when you turn the wheel, moving or not.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:23 PM

"crunk" is better description! Problem was diagnosed as bad strut bearing...but I'm thinking to just replace both strut "bearing" and "mount" by just buying Monroe #90310 (frnt) and #903911 (rear) Strut-Mate Mounting Kits. Thanks to everyone's input!! Was I right in thinking actual metal ball bearings would actually be in OEM strut "mount"...cause they shure ain't in what KYB packaged as strut bearing (black plastic/scalloped doughnut)!! Again, Thanks! Doug