4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Automatic Transmission Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:59 PM

Automatic Transmission Rebuild

I need help!
My auto tranny on a 95 SE is shot. I have arround 85,000 mi on the car and I got it 5 mo ago but Im not sure if original miles. I wanna know if there is anything I should do while the tranny is out - I mean any mods or additional maitenance.
I was thinking about the valve body (VB) mod but I couldnt find enough info (cannot search). I know I need a bigger tranny cooler. Also I was thinking about a manual swap but it looks kinda costly for me.
Is it better to rebuild or buy used auto tranny?
Also has anyone done tranny work in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area?
Like everyone else I need a good and cheap shop to do the work.

I appreciate any input!
Old 01-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Why do you think you need a tranny cooler?

I would recommend just finding low-mileage tranny at a boneyard and swaping it in. It's hard to find a shop that knows what they are doing when it comes to tranny rebuilds...
Old 01-29-2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Why do you think you need a tranny cooler?
for the VB mod

I would recommend just finding low-mileage tranny at a boneyard and swaping it in. It's hard to find a shop that knows what they are doing when it comes to tranny rebuilds...
I looked at a couple of local junk yards looking for misc parts but found no maxes. I had to get parts from altimas and sentras. The shop that I have around the corner from my car specializes in transmissions only - so I feel pretty safe with them. The thing is if anyone from the area has done this before they can probably help me - used parts or shop location. I think that if I want to ship a tranny from far its gonna come up a little steep.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:52 PM

What happens to your tranny that you think it needs a rebuild??? 85,000 miles is low for a rebuild.

While it's out I would definitely change the rear main oil seal and coat that crap in RTV once its in for added insurance. You can also clean up your starter and maybe check your flywheel too.

A tranny oil cooler is a good idea. It cant hurt.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

www.car-part.com for a used one.

You do not need a tranny cooler with a VB mod.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=PAREDLINE]What happens to your tranny that you think it needs a rebuild??? 85,000 miles is low for a rebuild. QUOTE]
It has been slipping for a while and it finally died on me. I tried changing oil and filter and I added Lucas oil to stop the slip but it didnt work out too good. Third gear went out first, then first and finally a couple of days ago i couldnt get it in reverse and when I tried to get home I could only do about 30 mph at 4000 rpm. Fluid level is fine, and I also tried OD on and off, shifting to lower gear, trying to control the gears with the gas pedal (trying to skip a gear) and nothing works. Also I took it to a mech and he said that its busted (hooked it up to the computer and it is not electrical) so Im about 99.9% sure its time for a rebuild.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by cnenov
so Im about 99.9% sure its time for a rebuild
Originally Posted by NmexMAX
www.car-part.com for a used one.
I would recommend just finding low-mileage tranny at a boneyard and swaping it in. It's hard to find a shop that knows what they are doing when it comes to tranny rebuilds
Old 01-30-2006, 09:23 AM

Anybody in Miami Ft. Lauderdale area done a 5 spd swap, an auto swap, or an auto rebuild?
Should I get a locking or non-locking diff?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:25 AM
dot dot dot ...

Shouldn't you post that in the regional forum?

I know a few members that are in the process of this.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Shouldn't you post that in the regional forum?

I know a few members that are in the process of this.
Thank you, I will!
Old 01-30-2006, 01:06 PM

werd... WWW.CAR-PART.COM
Old 01-30-2006, 10:22 PM

I keyed in car-part.com for a radius of 100 miles of Johnson City Tennessee and there were approximately 175 listings for non locking automatics from 20K to 220K miles from $275 to $750 with a year span from 95 to 99.. The yard across the street from Bristol Motor Speedway had six listings.
I personally would have to consider a used one before spending two grand on a rebuild. Also, this is not a big job with some tools and a little help
Randy
Old 01-31-2006, 03:38 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by cnenov
Anybody in Miami Ft. Lauderdale area done a 5 spd swap, an auto swap, or an auto rebuild?
Should I get a locking or non-locking diff?
I'm not local to you, but get a low-miles used transmission, preferably with the "locker" or VLSD differential. A factory-assembled used transmission will be a MUCH better investment for you than any rebuild. Those transmissions are complicated!

I race mine,and I've had an Infiniti VLSD (viscous limited slip differential, or locking) put into my '99 max for racing. You just have to use the correct driver's side axle with the transmission. Bought mine in Kentucky (37K miles) and shipped to Kansas - no problems after installation.

Also:

Quote:
I would recommend just finding low-mileage tranny at a boneyard and swaping it in. It's hard to find a shop that knows what they are doing when it comes to tranny rebuilds
Old 02-02-2006, 01:30 PM

The trouble with www.car-part.com is they often don't really have them when you call. I think most of the listings are old.