4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 08:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i know what the tranny cooler does, but does it help a lot even if you dont have say nos or an sc in the car? by help a lot, i mean, is there a significant change in the shifting of gears when it is near stock? thanks fer any info
Old 06-13-2001, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by mechanic
i know what the tranny cooler does, but does it help a lot even if you dont have say nos or an sc in the car? by help a lot, i mean, is there a significant change in the shifting of gears when it is near stock? thanks fer any info
The ATF can get really hot. I just installed a Hayden Rapid Cool Tranny cooler last weekend and I am seeing a difference with the shifting. It's not as harsh as it used to w/out the cooler. I think it would benefit those w/ a NA Maxima, it will help your tranny more reliable.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by SillePimp

The ATF can get really hot. I just installed a Hayden Rapid Cool Tranny cooler last weekend and I am seeing a difference with the shifting. It's not as harsh as it used to w/out the cooler. I think it would benefit those w/ a NA Maxima, it will help your tranny more reliable.
was it the hayden 404 or 403?
Old 06-13-2001, 09:29 AM
BlkCat

It says Hayden #403 in the transmission cooler sticky.

Old 06-13-2001, 09:30 AM

do you live in CA?

Originally posted by mechanic

was it the hayden 404 or 403?

I got the Plate&Fin type. Hayden Rapid Cool 677. It took me about an hour to do the job, from start to finish. Don't forget to buy additional 4 ft of tranny oil cooler hose, also made by Hayden. Just go to Pepboys they'll have everything you need to do the job. $59 for cooler and $8 for additional hose.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:10 AM

Re: do you live in CA?

nah i'm in ny.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:38 AM

You should not notice any change in shifting with the transmission cooler. The temp drop (approx 10-20 degrees) of the ATF isn't too dramatic, but what it will do is increase the fluid life of your ATF. The cooler is one of those mods that is not so much for performance, but more for keeping your transmission in good working order.

So, if you were expecting huge differences (or even small ones) from a $50 cooler, well think again. But if you want to extend the life of your transmission (provided you don't beat on it), then get a cooler. I am very happy with mine.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:51 AM
MAXDriver

Originally posted by Eric L.
The temp drop (approx 10-20 degrees) of the ATF isn't too dramatic, but what it will do is increase the fluid life of your ATF.
20 Degrees drop will double the life of your ATF according to this article.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed....qa/ques123.htm

Old 06-13-2001, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by MAXDriver

20 Degrees drop will double the life of your ATF according to this article.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed....qa/ques123.htm
Thanks for the info!
Old 06-13-2001, 04:13 PM

Re: do you live in CA?

I just bought the exact same tranny cooler. Do you have a digital camera? I would love to see some pics of your install. Did you reinstall the plastic shielding on the bottom of the car and if you did, how did you route the lines to and from the tranny cooler. I have read the FAQ and I see how it was done for the 403 but I have the 677 and wanted to see someone else's install. BTW, the 677 is the exact same tranny cooler installed on 96- current dodge intrepids. They come stock. My wife has a 1997 intrepid and that is why I bought the 677. I thought it looked better. I was looking at the way dodge installs theirs and they have metal tranny lines running to and from theirs.

I got the Plate&Fin type. Hayden Rapid Cool 677. It took me about an hour to do the job, from start to finish. Don't forget to buy additional 4 ft of tranny oil cooler hose, also made by Hayden. Just go to Pepboys they'll have everything you need to do the job. $59 for cooler and $8 for additional hose.
Old 06-13-2001, 05:17 PM

Re: Re: do you live in CA?

Originally posted by Rutnick
I just bought the exact same tranny cooler. Do you have a digital camera? I would love to see some pics of your install. Did you reinstall the plastic shielding on the bottom of the car and if you did, how did you route the lines to and from the tranny cooler. I have read the FAQ and I see how it was done for the 403 but I have the 677 and wanted to see someone else's install. BTW, the 677 is the exact same tranny cooler installed on 96- current dodge intrepids. They come stock. My wife has a 1997 intrepid and that is why I bought the 677. I thought it looked better. I was looking at the way dodge installs theirs and they have metal tranny lines running to and from theirs.

I'll be up in Canada until Monday. I'll try to post some pics on how I have mine installed. I didn't use metal tranny lines but I'll be definitely looking into that when the original starts wearing out. I think I cut the return line too short, so this will probably force me to replace that one soon. I didn't use the hose shield that GPrete referred to on his website. I don't see that it's necessary. The install was quite easy. If you can figure out a way to remove the grille, it'll make things so much easier. If not, try loosening the power steering cooler mounted directly in front at the lower part of the AC cooler. This will give you room to install the cooler plastic holders or ties.