4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Turn Key Multiple Times to Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:26 AM

Turn Key Multiple Times to Start

I think something is wrong with my ignition. I turn the key to start and nothing happens. Engine doesn't crank or anything...everything just dead. I can usually twist the key back towards me and turn it again and it will start but somethings it takes 3-4 times for this to work. I dont' want to get stranded one of these days. So I'm wondering exactly what the problem is? It sounds similiar to the igition switch problem described here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=200696 but not exactly the same, as it's really not a jiggleing as just a turning back and forth of the key. Once the car is started it runs perfectly.

Any thoughts as to what the culprit might be?
Old 03-31-2006, 06:29 AM

The ignition switch issue manifests itself in lots of different ways...in every case, there's some "trick" to get the car started.

Does your car go into the "on" position correctly? In other words, do all of the systems run when the engine is not turning (all of the idiot lights should come up on the dash)? If they all come on, it's probably your ignition switch. If nothing else happens, it could be something else (a relay perhaps?)
Old 03-31-2006, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by MaxKlinger
The ignition switch issue manifests itself in lots of different ways...in every case, there's some "trick" to get the car started.

Does your car go into the "on" position correctly? In other words, do all of the systems run when the engine is not turning (all of the idiot lights should come up on the dash)? If they all come on, it's probably your ignition switch. If nothing else happens, it could be something else (a relay perhaps?)
Yes all lights and radio, climate control, etc. come on. The engine just doesn't turn over.

So it's definetly the ignition switch then?
Old 03-31-2006, 06:38 AM

are you a auto if you are check your neutral safety switch. you can do this by moving the shifter around while trying to start the car and it should turn over.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:44 AM

its your ignition switch for sure. I had the exact problem and talked to a nissan mechanic. part is $40 at the dealer and takes 10 minutes to install
Old 03-31-2006, 06:46 AM

Ignition switch

I had the same problem of my maxima. First, I thought it was the switch but it wasn't. It was the ignition cable. You probably need to go the dealership to buy the ignition switch cable. It costs around $45. It should solve the problem. Good Luck!
Old 03-31-2006, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by C MAX
are you a auto if you are check your neutral safety switch. you can do this by moving the shifter around while trying to start the car and it should turn over.
Yeah, I'm auto. And tried moving shifter around while key is turned and it has no effect. So I don't think it's the neutral switch
Old 03-31-2006, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by colinchan167
I had the same problem of my maxima. First, I thought it was the switch but it wasn't. It was the ignition cable. You probably need to go the dealership to buy the ignition switch cable. It costs around $45. It should solve the problem. Good Luck!
Did you replace the ignition switch first before you found out it was the cable? And how does a cable go back, was it crimped or something? I'm just wondering where I should start. I'd hate to buy both parts when all I really need is one.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had the same problem with mine, but if I give it a little gas when attempting to start it, it will go after I throw it into gear. Thankfully, it's only happens 1-2 times a week.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would like a little clarification on this subject as well.

My 97 does the same thing, you have to turn the key 2-3 times before it starts.
All the idiot lights and radio come on when the key is turned but it won't start.

is the search function off limits to noobs? I can't search, I am denied access.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:52 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Jay Easy
is the search function off limits to noobs? I can't search, I am denied access.
It's off limits to anyone who hasn't donated.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:13 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Its the electrical portion of your ignition switch. Happened to me a while ago also. Its not too hard to do yourself, or you can take it to a show and it should be under $150.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pmohr
It's off limits to anyone who hasn't donated.

thanks for the info.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:59 PM

Did you replace the ignition switch first before you found out it was the cable? And how does a cable go back, was it crimped or something? I'm just wondering where I should start. I'd hate to buy both parts when all I really need is one.

I thought my switch was bad so I went to dealership and bought one. It was around $250 brand new. Before I install the switch, I was thinking let try the cable first, because it is hard to change the switch. I installed the new cable and the car started up easily. I will suggest you to buy the switch itself first, and try to install cable only, if the car starts up, the problem will be the cable not the switch, if it doesn't you may have to change the switch too. OK...if you find out the problem is the cable, put back everything like how you buy it from the dealership, and tell them you bought a wrong part, you just need the cable only, not the switch and see will they exchange for you. I did the same thing and they let me exchange the cable and refund my money. But it has to be a same day. I hope it will help you and you understand what I try to say. Sorry, my english sucks.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:24 PM

say... if u turn the key all the way to start, where it usually cranks and it doesnt do anything but then you wiggle the key up and down a couple times it while at "start" position it cranks?

Is this the same issue.. bad switch?
My car has been doing this for over 2 years and i just learned the trick to getting it started, had to teach this to my wife as well but i would fix it if i knew what the problem really is.

Dave
Old 04-02-2006, 03:47 AM

classic ign switch problem .. very common on 4gen max less then 40 dollars at the dealership and about 15 mins labour
Old 04-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mine does the same thing. Ihave to turn it realy hard to get it to crank. what is that
Old 04-02-2006, 10:06 AM
oem ftw!

Hey, I have basically the same problem as you, and figured it would be best to ask here instead of starting another thread. sometimes the car fires right up, other times it takes 2-3 tries. but in my case, i can hear a click from under the hood every time i try to crank. since i'm hearing the click, does that still mean my switch is bad? i'm just not sure if i should replace the switch or the starter. i'm leaning toward the switch, though. thanks everyone
Old 04-02-2006, 11:16 AM
No more Maximas...

If it just clicks you can try re-greasing the starter, but if it clicks it's usually the starter itself is fscked.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:03 PM
oem ftw!

thanks, i appreciate the response. saved me some $$$ on the ignition switch
Old 04-03-2006, 07:04 AM

I replaced the ignition switch over the weekend and it fixed the the problem. My car starts with the first turn of the key now. No more 3-4 turns to get it to start. Thanks for the help everyone. The part was only $33 from the dealer and took less than an hour to install.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:09 AM

i think maybe it could be a connection to the altenator or starter. i had this happen to me on a rainy day, but it took more than 3 or 4 times to start the car, i thought it was the starter, so went out and purchased it, and when i did, the weather got better, and i went back to my stranded car tried to start it and it started right up, later on i popped the hood and checked the connections and sure enough there was exposed wire that was connected to the altenator which probably had made a short and thats why the car wouldnt start. i called pepboys while this was all happening and they said that it could be the engine. what tards. ( dont ever go get service done at pep boys )
Old 04-03-2006, 08:47 AM

If you get an ignition switch does it cost more to have the same key as before?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:10 AM
oem ftw!

Nope, the part that's changed is just the electrical portion of the switch, you keep the same key for the 30 bucks or whatever it is that the switch costs.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:15 AM

man i have the same problem.....so either the ignition switch or ignition cable?
the thing is also.....when its not turning over. i hold it, and sometimes within 3-4 seconds, it starts up. that's a long time, but that' the only way it'll turn on.
it happens about once a day, sometimes once in 2 days, but it does happen.

so most likely ignition switch?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
man i have the same problem.....so either the ignition switch or ignition cable?
the thing is also.....when its not turning over. i hold it, and sometimes within 3-4 seconds, it starts up. that's a long time, but that' the only way it'll turn on.
it happens about once a day, sometimes once in 2 days, but it does happen.

so most likely ignition switch?
I'd say yes, it's the ignition switch because that's what mine did as well and a new switch fixed it.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM

Did the search function to dig up this thread.

My car is starting to do this too.

What I mean is:

When I goto turn the key, I get nothing. But if I tap the shifter(auto) further up, while it's in park, then try, it cranks right up.

Would the neutral switch not be engaging the shifter, or is the switch headed out?

Also, possibly a separate issue:
I also want to check out the brake stop switch(brake lights work) and cruise switch because my cruise light comes on(the switch on the dash), but it wont engage on the steering wheel(It use to work).
Old 09-05-2012, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rob_0126
When I goto turn the key, I get nothing. But if I tap the shifter(auto) further up, while it's in park, then try, it cranks right up.
Sounds to me like the neutral safety switch on the automatic transmission is the culprit. It's designed to only let the car start in PARK or NEUTRAL. But if it's failing in the open position, it won't let the starter solenoid close and activate the starter motor. I would replace the neutral safety switch or check whatever linkage it has to the shifter for wear.

I also want to check out the brake stop switch(brake lights work) and cruise switch because my cruise light comes on(the switch on the dash), but it wont engage on the steering wheel(It use to work).
Not sure what you're really getting at here. It could be that the cruise switch on the steering wheel is failing. Testing your brake light switch on the brake pedal arm should be simple - as simple as looking for the reflection of your tail lights when something light-colored is behind you at night.

Good luck. And thanks for digging up an old thread. It's been ages since I've been on Maxima.org.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 AM

Would the neutral switch not be engaging the shifter, or is the switch headed out?
The neutral starter switch is the problem. Put the trans in neutral before you crank the engine and see if it starts without problem.

I also want to check out the brake stop switch(brake lights work) and cruise switch because my cruise light comes on (the switch on the dash), but it wont engage on the steering wheel (It use to work).
Look on the brake pedal arm and you will see a piece of metal attached like a letter T across the arm. On each end of that metal piece is a plastic bumper that contacts a switch. One is for the brake lights and the other is for the cruse control. You are most likely missing one of the plastic bumpers, the one for the cruise control.