4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best way to manually shift an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Best way to manually shift an auto?

I was trying out manually shifting the other day and didnt have much luck. How soon after shifting will the gear change? Are there any good tips that I should know about manually shifting an auto? I plan on getting a tranny cooler before I go all out on manually shifting but I figured I could try it out a few times for now, thx.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:18 AM
VIP Maxima

it takes 2-3 seconds to shift into gear after u do it manually. drive an auto the way it was meant to be driven, in D. and tranny cooler wont save u from tranny problems.....

Old 04-04-2006, 01:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Shifting an auto is useless unless you want to quickly wear out you auto. If you want faster shifting then a VB mod with a tranny cooler would be your best bet.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:34 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by wootwoot
Are there any good tips that I should know about manually shifting an auto?
This page has everything you need to know:

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...howpage&pid=30
Old 04-04-2006, 03:54 AM

full manual reverse valvebody works the best

or just buy a manual transmission
Old 04-04-2006, 04:20 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

To shift your automatic transmission:

Apply the brake
Press the shift lock button on the side of the shifter
Then move the shifter from P - R - N - D - 2 - 1

Thats how you "manually" shift your auto.

For best results, select "R" to go backwards and "D" to go forwards.

Pretty simple, really..............
Old 04-04-2006, 04:21 AM
Maxima Owner

i got a god tip...buy a 5 spd.....u asking for tranny issues
Old 04-04-2006, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by wootwoot
...Are there any good tips that I should know about manually shifting an auto?...
Yeah, don't do it.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:58 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Best way is like Tom said, otherwise replace auto with 5 speed, and turbo
Old 04-04-2006, 08:08 AM

what happens if you manually shift an auto? i've been doing it for like a year now ( only when i need the extra power to pass cars at lights ), should i stop??? is my tranny going to die on me soon?
Old 04-04-2006, 08:08 AM

let it shift itself. thats why its an automatic and not a 5speed. if u wanna shift.....do a 5 spd conversion
Old 04-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by 19maxima97
what happens if you manually shift an auto? i've been doing it for like a year now ( only when i need the extra power to pass cars at lights ), should i stop??? is my tranny going to die on me soon?
"When I need extra power at lights"...soooo, manually shifting gives you more HP?

The only use anyone has for manually shifting an auto on our cars is if you have an extended rev limiter and a VI, and wish to hold 1st or 2nd past the stock shift points.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:18 AM

If you need extra power at lights then put the pedal to the floor .... that is what the owner's manual says. Manually shifting absolutely tears up your transmission ... don't do it. I think even clicking on/off the OD button wears at it so I stopped that too after my first transmission started slipping and shifting obnoxiously hard and rough.

Do the 5Spd swap or buy a new Max with one in it already.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:32 AM

Best way to screw up your auto......it's not any faster to shift in most cases it will make your car slower.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tim96I30t
Best way to screw up your auto......it's not any faster to shift in most cases it will make your car slower.

I am assuming you want to go faster by shifting the car manually here are some tips--

1. Automatic cars arent meant to be raced.(believe me i have had one for about 3years that i cant even get rid of).

2. Its not going to get any faster, unless you get a VB mod and then the tranny cooler would help.

3. Get a high stall torque con that would really help.

4. If all fails, just do a swap from auto to manual.(thats the best way)!!
Old 04-04-2006, 09:51 AM

Well i guess i need to stop downshifting with the O/D button when i hit the exit ramps.

I often leave it in 1st or 2nd gear when i'm sitting in heavy highway traffic...like when it is just creeping along. I'm thinking that isn't too bad for it as long as I don't shift under hard acceleration. Maybe I should just leave it in D.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 AM
I Broke OT

get up to 60, drop into R, get out of the car and pick your tranny up off the road, learn a valuable lesson.

don't shift an auto.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

... ... best way is using your wrist and forearm muscles unless you're handicapped, there's no other way.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:01 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

ROFL auto's aren't meant for racing? Are you kiddnig me? Have you ever seen an Auto Supra TT at the track? They can be really fast.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by nismos14
ROFL auto's aren't meant for racing? Are you kiddnig me?

The fastest car down the 1/4 mile is always an automatic.
Even top fuel drag racing is all done with automatics.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

These people need to talk to Jime..
Old 04-04-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm needing a caw

Funny you mention Supras. For one, a Supra really isn't the idea 1/4 car although there are some damned fast ones. And two, I do believe one of the fastest Supras out there IS running an Auto from a V8.
Well and 3rd, the faster Supras are single, not TT

Originally Posted by nismos14
ROFL auto's aren't meant for racing? Are you kiddnig me? Have you ever seen an Auto Supra TT at the track? They can be really fast.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:47 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Funny you mention Supras. For one, a Supra really isn't the idea 1/4 car although there are some damned fast ones. And two, I do believe one of the fastest Supras out there IS running an Auto from a V8.
Well and 3rd, the faster Supras are single, not TT

Not ideal for the 1/4? Y not? I'd say a modified supra is definately a viable opponent and capable of quite good numbers.

Of course the fastest supras are single turbo, but this was just for arguements sake.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm needing a caw

IRS = not ideal for Drag Racing. Supra's heavy weight = no idea for drag racing etc.............
Old 04-04-2006, 11:02 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

True true.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
it takes 2-3 seconds to shift into gear after u do it manually. drive an auto the way it was meant to be driven, in D. and tranny cooler wont save u from tranny problems.....
Do you own a 5 speed because everything you said about the auto is false.

Manually shifting actually decreases the shift time, it's track proven. Tranny cooler will save you from tranny problems because the #1 transmission killer is heat.

Manuals are for slow cars, if you got power the auto is the way to go. Autos will always be better than manuals, because a driver can't shift as fast as auto that was done right. Some of the new cars that are coming out are starting to beat manual fuel consumption by a couple mpg's.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:51 AM

I shift all the time, but then again, i just bought a 5-speed
Old 04-04-2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

Even top fuel drag racing is all done with automatics.
The facts:
http://mark.denovich.org/archives/000496.html

"Top Fuel dragsters and Funny cars only have one gear. A computer/timer controlled hydrualicly actuated, multi-plate clutch slowly engages as the car goes down the strip with full lock-up about half way down the track. It slips for the first few seconds to limit the power to the wheels (and therefore limiting wheel spin.)

I guess you could say it's automatic, but it's certainly nothing like the hydrualic torque converter in a conventional automatic.

Pro stock cars have a five speed manual. The clutch is used at launch, but during the run the transmission is shifted without the clutch. By using an iginition interrupt they can briefly cut power from the engine. With the transmission unloaded, the next gear can be engaged and the ignition restored."
Old 04-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brushedpewter
Do you own a 5 speed because everything you said about the auto is false.

Manually shifting actually decreases the shift time, it's track proven. Tranny cooler will save you from tranny problems because the #1 transmission killer is heat.

Manuals are for slow cars, if you got power the auto is the way to go. Autos will always be better than manuals, because a driver can't shift as fast as auto that was done right. Some of the new cars that are coming out are starting to beat manual fuel consumption by a couple mpg's.

so your saying on the 1/4 you can go faster by shifting your auto manually? i'd love to see some slips of that buddy. yes you can make the shift possibly go faster but you would then be losing some of the powerband...maybe it feels faster....

manuals are for slow cars? ok you obviously drive an autotragik and are in denial. i could go on and name a shatload of cars which are fast and have 5/6 speed manual gear boxes but it's not needed. only when you run in bracketed track races or are running sub 11 second 1/4 runs can autos be faster/more efficient.

this is why japanese people/racer's laugh at us americans we are all concerned about going fast in a straight line. whoop de ****ing do. track/street performance is what matters. wow your car can go fast in a striaght line and that helps you how in real life conditions? any auto set up for sub 11 second runs blows **** on the streets or on a track.

manuals are more fun to drive
you can control your speed better
get better gas mileage if you know how to drive it
they are a hell of alot easier to repair, replace, or modify then an auto.
oh and i'm surprised i'm the 1st person to shut you up.
thanks for commenting on something you don't know much about!

btw you are correct about heat being the number 1 tranny killer. i saw that commercial too.

edit: 1/4 times are like dyno numbers. nice to look at but mean **** about the car's real performance capabilities. k i'm done.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maximus_Jones
Well i guess i need to stop downshifting with the O/D button when i hit the exit ramps.

I often leave it in 1st or 2nd gear when i'm sitting in heavy highway traffic...like when it is just creeping along. I'm thinking that isn't too bad for it as long as I don't shift under hard acceleration. Maybe I should just leave it in D.
When I am intense bumper-to-bumper I will pull it down to 1st or 2nd too. That is not bad for the transmission. It becomes bad when you are forcing the transmission to downshift by pulling it into 1st or 2nd.
Taking OD/OFF while the car is in 3rd or below doesn't hurt either ... common sense there. I do everything possible not to hurt the transmission IE not touching the stick, not moving my foot while the transmission is trying to shift between gears unless I am easing off the gas, and not slamming the gas to the floor at a stand-still.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:02 PM

my tranny shifts kind of hard, what should i do about it? i cant really afford a rebuild, will it be okay if i just dont drive hard on it anymore?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

Most people in this thread are referring to automatic/manual as in general.

To keep it relative to this forum, yes A32 autos are quite slow. But this has to do with stall speed/torque/gear ratios. All of these are killed with the 4AT A32 3.0L. (N/A of course)

A VI equipped A32 will always benefit from shifting past 6k...i.e manual shifting. It's been proven.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:11 PM

rev limit

When ever i floor the gas petal it revs to the stock rev limit, but when im doing 40mph and i let go of the gas and floor it, or even if i dont let go and just step down it only revs up to 4rpms den it starts slowly reving high and higher, oh yea its on my auto too, but it just feels like it gets stuck for a seconds cause it takes awhile for it to climb speed at that low *** rpm, but wants it hits 50 to 55 it picks up allot harder agian, can someone help me wit dis most likely lame *** question.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

Your car is down shifting.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:59 PM

So does it hurt the tranny or not. I have been struggling with this same problem for a while to and wasnt sure whether or not to stop shifting in my automatic. Will someone give a stragiht answer. lol
Old 04-04-2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by maxima92se

I am assuming you want to go faster by shifting the car manually here are some tips--

1. Automatic cars arent meant to be raced.(believe me i have had one for about 3years that i cant even get rid of).

2. Its not going to get any faster, unless you get a VB mod and then the tranny cooler would help.
its bad enough that noobs ask repetitive questions, then they are here giving false advice to other noobs. or at least making false statements.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:55 PM

Everyone is saying it is bad ... I don't understand the difficulty here. Nmex is saying the only reason to do it is if you have a variable intake manifold so that you can force the car to shift in redline. I am willing to bet you don't have 00VI or MEVI so it doesn't apply.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:18 PM

To simply put, Shifting an auto can be FUN, not GOOD.

Let the car shift by itself ( Trust me, you CANNOT beat a computer to first gear. All your hand does is add a second of human error)

I know. My friend shifts his Grand Am 2.4 like that , moving from 1->2->3->-D and thinks he's the **** while doing it.( WHile I quietly laugh at his 10 sec 0-60 time ) Adding insult to injury he tries to drift a Grand am ........Im waiting for his tranny to die.

Anyways, doing that added 1 second to his accel times vs. just leaving it alone....

Sure. Its more fun to "Shift" the transmission like that than to simply floor it and "Wait" , but not only to you slow your car down , you kill your tranny.

Yeah shure, they designed it so that you can shift it in that manner, but in RARE circumstances, not everyday on the daily commute. Period.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Custom Molding King!

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
get up to 60, drop into R, get out of the car and pick your tranny up off the road, learn a valuable lesson.

don't shift an auto.
I hope you know that doesent do anything to the tranny right? Trust me I tried hah.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Banned

if you want to shift like a manual either throw in a 5 speed tranny or buy a new car.

i had a 97auto w/ stage 2 vb...it's nothing like driving a 5/6 speed. nothing at all like it.

and everyone will just laugh when you do it in your autotragic.

and you'll be no faster.

and this thread should be locked for it contains little to no usefull knowledge.

i bet this has been posted over 50 times on this board.

use the search luke.

Quick Reply: Best way to manually shift an auto?