4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone w/experience with zinc plated discs please

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 09:07 AM

Anyone w/experience with zinc plated discs please

I just put on some brembo crossdrilled rotors (zinc plated) with pbr (low metal) brake pads. I only driven it 1 mile and notice some grinding sound from the front breaks.

Is this because of the zinc plating wearing off.

I only have driven it about a mile.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The noise you hear is indeed the zinc coming off the braking surface.
You should follow a proper beading in procedure.
Several (say 6-8 times) hard brakes from 40-50 MPH down to 10MPH with at least a mile of cool down time in between. You need to heat the rotors and pads up good and then let them cool down slowly. That will remove the zinc from the braking surfaces and bed your pads in correctly.

Enjoy your new brakes, I've been running those rotors for about 3 years now. They have provided ultra smooth braking for over 60K miles for me.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The noise you hear is indeed the zinc coming off the braking surface.
You should follow a proper beading in procedure.
Several (say 6-8 times) hard brakes from 40-50 MPH down to 10MPH with at least a mile of cool down time in between. You need to heat the rotors and pads up good and then let them cool down slowly. That will remove the zinc from the braking surfaces and bed your pads in correctly.

Enjoy your new brakes, I've been running those rotors for about 3 years now. They have provided ultra smooth braking for over 60K miles for me.
\

I agree with the beding process, i bedded mine really well and they have performed fine.
Dont be alarmed if they start smoking and smell during the process.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Black Lion

did any of you guys get the bembo calipers as well? i need to replace my rear calipers and wanted to upgrade to brembos.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:47 PM

i wouldnt bother with brembo rears for a street driven vehicle. its best at best to get aa seto of drilled rotors for the rear to match the fronts. The fronts are whats carrying most of youre load. I would go brembo for up front but i wouldve just did the whole big brake upgrade for the front IMO
Old 07-08-2007, 04:49 PM
driving so slow aint easy

the grinding sound is them breaking them selvs in. as for the zinc plating ive had it on my rotors for about 3 months and no rust.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by slinky87
i wouldnt bother with brembo rears for a street driven vehicle. its best at best to get aa seto of drilled rotors for the rear to match the fronts. The fronts are whats carrying most of youre load. I would go brembo for up front but i wouldve just did the whole big brake upgrade for the front IMO
thanks for the feed back. i guess the big brake kit includes rear calipers also? that a good idea i just painted my calipers red and now one of them needs to be replaced i had the car 10 years so i ll just do stock both rear calipers for now and just repain them red and go with just the brembo fronts crossdrilled (i like the look of crossdrilled) rotors and calipers in red ( i think the Brembo cailpers only come in red) and just rear crossdrilled rotors.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:42 PM

big brake kits are usually per axle (fronts, Rears..) the calipers come in black yellow and red, if youre serious about stopping power see about replacing your stock brake hoses for the braided stainless lines those help more than anything. I dont recall them making SSlines for the rear but im sure there out there. good luck with your build
Old 07-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by slinky87
big brake kits are usually per axle (fronts, Rears..) the calipers come in black yellow and red, if youre serious about stopping power see about replacing your stock brake hoses for the braided stainless lines those help more than anything. I dont recall them making SSlines for the rear but im sure there out there. good luck with your build
thanks i was doing some reading on the website. i dont take the max to the track i just like the look of the brembo break kit. im sure whatever i decide it will be an improvement from stock.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:42 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by maxprivate
did any of you guys get the bembo calipers as well? i need to replace my rear calipers and wanted to upgrade to brembos.
If you were to perform a meaningful upgrade you'd need to do the fronts and rears at the same time. Otherwise you'll throw your brake bias all out of whack and either experience worse braking or cause the rears to lock first (= spinning in circles)

Dave
Old 07-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
If you were to perform a meaningful upgrade you'd need to do the fronts and rears at the same time. Otherwise you'll throw your brake bias all out of whack and either experience worse braking or cause the rears to lock first (= spinning in circles)

Dave
do you have the whole kit? ie, front and rear brembo calipers etc? i want to do all brembo front and rears but im still waiting on a price for the whole kit. i might do the fronts for now calipers and rotors in front and just rotors on rear do to the cost for the whole kit.