4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please help me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Please help me!!!

I have a 98' SE Auto, and ever since I've had this car its had an odd idle. It vibrates mildly at idle, and there is a lack of performance at times when driving it. I've had the coils, and the front bank of fuel injectors replaced. I now have 111,400 miles on the car, and the warranty is just about up, and something is telling me to find someone who knows these engines well to held find whats wrong. No Nissan dealer can find a problem, my car has a loss of power compared to other non modded 4th gens I've driven. My best friend with 350,000 miles on his stock 95' GLE maxima with all the original parts can out perform mine from a dead stop, and he even gets better gas milage. I get only 250 miles on a full tank, and he gets over 400 miles to a tank using only premium gas. I've even had the 90K mile service done, and the vehicle felt the same as before, sluggish. It runs different depending on the weather, but it's noticable to me. The car is not as smooth at the VQ should be, I've used BG 44K, and MOA engine cleaner, and nothing works. I need some help big time, I dont want to be left with a huge repair bill after my warranty is up. I dont know what else to check. Thanks in advance
Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Under the radar

the only thing i could possibly think of is the MAF sensor (mass air flow). The other thing could be the pcv valve. other than that i have no idea. Hope ya get the problem fixed (cheaply).
Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 PM

why not have all 6 injector replace instead of just 3?That would definately rule out the injectors.

I would have the knock sensor replaced/checked along with o2 sensors.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Originally Posted by Max_Out
the only thing i could possibly think of is the MAF sensor (mass air flow). The other thing could be the pcv valve. other than that i have no idea. Hope ya get the problem fixed (cheaply).
Well I thought about the MAF sensor, but warranty company wont have anything replaced without there being a check engine light on or a code stored in the computer. It was a hassle getting them to replace all 6 coils, as they would only replace the faulty ones. Thank goodness Nissan has a TSB for them.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Originally Posted by MDeezy
why not have all 6 injector replace instead of just 3?That would definately rule out the injectors.

I would have the knock sensor replaced/checked along with o2 sensors.
I wanted them to replace all the injectors, but they warranty company wouldnt allow them to replace ones that werent faulty. I've been thinking about the knock sensor, but I was thinking that there would be a code for it. the O2 Sensors is another one thats crossed my mind, but those are expensive, and I know they will only replace it if there is a code. Sometimes they will set it up to have my vehicle inspected to verify there is a problem. They had done that with the coils and injectors.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:17 PM

why not take your car to another shop and have a free inspection. Its possible the dealership doesnt want to shell out the cash, and want to have you wondering, and then figure it out after you warantee is up.

KS wont throw a code, get a screw driver and find out for sure. Either you'll get the magical 0505 or 0304.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Originally Posted by MDeezy
why not take your car to another shop and have a free inspection. Its possible the dealership doesnt want to shell out the cash, and want to have you wondering, and then figure it out after you warantee is up.

KS wont throw a code, get a screw driver and find out for sure. Either you'll get the magical 0505 or 0304.
Tell me how to check for a bad KS, and I'll do that tomorrow to see whats what. Thanks, I really appreciate this.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Madmax1991
Tell me how to check for a bad KS, and I'll do that tomorrow to see whats what. Thanks, I really appreciate this.
Instructions from the stickies I would try the PCV valve, cheap and fast to fix.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With 111k on your car you could have bad upstream O2 sensors. I replaced mine at around your mileage and I got much more mpg and response from my
Max. If you order them online and do it yourself, its about 90-100 bucks for both. I didn't have a cel when I replaced mine.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Originally Posted by PLUMMAXSE
With 111k on your car you could have bad upstream O2 sensors. I replaced mine at around your mileage and I got much more mpg and response from my
Max. If you order them online and do it yourself, its about 90-100 bucks for both. I didn't have a cel when I replaced mine.
I'm taking notes of all this. I'm planning on leaving my car with the mechanic of my friend 95 GLE when I'm in Conneticut later this month so I'm going to have him check for a list of things that you guys are telling me. He's very good, but I wasnt able to have him look at it sooner because I need my car to drive, and since my company is sending me to a Grand Opening in another state, this is the perfect chance for me to have it looked at by him.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:00 PM

Yeah, FYI there's a how-to in the stickies on how to change the O2 sensors yourself. If you are on a tight budget, you can also buy the universal sensors and rewire them to your old sensor plugs.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Originally Posted by 99grnmaxgxe
Yeah, FYI there's a how-to in the stickies on how to change the O2 sensors yourself. If you are on a tight budget, you can also buy the universal sensors and rewire them to your old sensor plugs.
Thats the thing, alot of the stuff I dont want to touch because my vehicle is still under warranty. I have less than 1000 miles left. I dont have good luck with these things lol. I'm thinking back to the headlights of my old 91' SE. I could never get those high beams fixed after the harness got fried by using those crazy headlights. Eventually I would start do to alot of stuff myself. There is this sound that I hear in my engine bay on the highway and it sounds similar to a 10 speed bicycle chain when you would adjust it on to change gears. Any insight to what that sound could be?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:11 PM

My knock sensor threw out a code--P0325 0304-- When my knock sensor went out, it ran real sluggish. My top end was very bad!! I really noticed a difference once I replaced it.

If its the O2 sensor, (my opinion), I think you should get the direct fit rather than the universal... I just think for a few bucks more, you dont have to waste your time splicing wires-- Also, I just think that you have less of a probability of the wires losing contact with the OEM.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Originally Posted by 915Max
My knock sensor threw out a code--P0325 0304-- When my knock sensor went out, it ran real sluggish. My top end was very bad!! I really noticed a difference once I replaced it.

If its the O2 sensor, (my opinion), I think you should get the direct fit rather than the universal... I just think for a few bucks more, you dont have to waste your time splicing wires-- Also, I just think that you have less of a probability of the wires losing contact with the OEM.
My car has never had alot of power. I'm really hoping its the knock sensor. My friend replaced that on his 95', but his car was never as sluggish as mine.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Ok folks, I checked the computer today for any codes, and I got a 0505 "No Failure Recorded/Detected" I also adjusted the throttle cable and it made the vehicle a little more responsive to drive, but there is still a roughness to the engine, and that vibration. I'm going to try and take it to my friends mechanic either today or tomorrow and have it checked out by him. PLUMMAXSE mentioned that I might have slow to respond or bad O2 sensors. I'm going to see if he can check them out and replace them. I hear they are very expensive. The Mass Air Flow sensor is good...when I disconnected the CEL came on, when I plugged it back in, the engine cut off. It started back up fine. This is my only hope. Between the side air bag acting up, and the engine not running like it should, I'm starting to think I'm just crazy and my car is running fine, but when you compare your car to other Maximas of the same year and trim that run and drive alot better, you seem to think nothing is wrong.