4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Freakin Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 10:02 AM

Freakin Coolant

Okay, heres the scenario... Every once and awhile my car will leak a little coolant. Not alot. Just enough to make about a dinner plate size wet spot on the ground. Now, my car is heating up to about 3/4 the way to HOT on the temp guage when I'm just sitting somewhere. When I start to move it goes back down to normal temperature and is fine. The other thing is that my heater is not getting hot anymore. Is this a waterpump? Or do I need to flush my system? I put more coolant in it but it barely took any and when I turned it on the coolant level didn't go down any. Anyone who is a Nissan mechanic and wants to input on this, I would much appreciate. I just need to know how much this is going to set me back.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:22 AM

Sounds like you have overfilled your coolant and hence it leaks out now which is normal. And your thermostat is screwed. Or it could be something else. If it was the Water pump, it would overheat or make a lot of noise or something.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:25 AM

Hummm. water pump? Sounds strange. Heater core issues?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:26 AM

See, my coolant tank was empty so I don't think it was overfilled. And you think it could be my thermostat? That would be awesome. But wouldn't my heater still get hot even if the thermostat wasn't working properly?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:29 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

maybe it is your thermostat or a messed upgasket which is leaking coolant, hence why you are overheating. try to find out where the leak is comming from, anti freezeis pretty thick like liquid( it is not think but it is slime like). there should be some around the area in which is is leaking after youc ome out and find a puddle
Old 04-26-2006, 11:46 AM

Find the source of the leak first....... Then go from there, if your thermo. is stuck open, your coolant will not get hot, therefore no heat.. check all hoses, radiator, water pump area, and thermostat housing for source of coolant leak...... Keep us posted on it
Old 04-26-2006, 05:42 PM

^ white max is right. do those first.

water pump is something i would suggest last since it is pricey and takes a while to replace.

i would really drain all you coolant and refill it to a normal level. spray down the engine so no traces of coolant anywhere and then drive around and let time do its job. if it leaks you will see it. There is a thing you can by to mix in with coolant that will show up under UV light to detect it easily.

Also after you changed out your coolant and had the car running for a while. I want you to grab well touch all the coolant hoses. upper/lower radiator and the 2 going into the reservior bottle as well. They all should be warm/hot. If not there lays your problem. Also check and confirm your coolant fans kick on.

It shouldn't really be your T-stat, because even with it stuck open at one point the coolant will get hot enough. Not quickly but it will and it should.

my personal thoughts on your car is, air bubbles in coolant system causing it to overheat and/or your coolant fans are not kicking on. either the fan bearings, wiring or fuse/relay is bad. This is what i will go right as doing because these are the easiest to confrim and check and it is also the cheapest. all it will cost is $10 for 1 gal of coolant.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:59 PM
HallKemar

go to autozone, purchase a thermostat, install the thermostat. refil your coolant, then drive.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Most likely the watewr pump. It'll cost around 350-600 dollars to get it fixed. it was for me and many others. check the hoses and the leaking area, if its leaking around the bottom of the belt area its the water pump. Top off the radiotor with water and some coolant once in a while until you get it fixed so you don't damage the engine. Don't open the radiator cap when engine is warm. BTW your heat won't work if your coolant is low.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:39 PM

When the heater doesn't throw heat, you don't have any water/coolant flowing through it. This could be a plugged heater core, bad water control valve -or- low water/coolant level in the engine.

Water pumps don't stop pumping water unless the belt breaks and you would know that. When a water pump goes bad, the impellor shaft bearings go bad, the shaft wobbles and destroys the water seals and the pump leaks. But it still pumps water.

When you say you added coolant, where did you add it to? The plastic reservoir along side the fender or did you take off the radiator cap and pour it into the radiator. The radiator is what you should have done. Coolant in the plastic reservoir is sucked out by the engine as a hot engine cools down, not when you start the engine.

Your engine is low on coolant. Exactly why is hard to say.

Is the water pump leaking? You should be able to see water leaking out. Is it the thermostat? Its a maybe - the thermostat isn't opening up and the car overheats and blows out the water via the radiator over flow tube. But your temperature guage seems to be working and does not indicate constant overheating which is what you would have if the thermostat didn't open.

If you can't find an external leak, it's not good news because that would point to major problems like maybe a blown head gasket. I hope that is not the case and you find something simple like a hose.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:43 PM

See, that's just the thing.... My car DOES get hot and FAST, so I don't think it's my thermo. Also, the place where it is leaking is coming from the oil pan... Like it's leaking off the front of the oil pan and I can't see where the leak is coming from no matter how I position myself around the car. It's like under the engine and above the oil pan... or it's leaking from another unknown spot and just running all the way back to the oil pan. Also, my fans DO work and really well. New update.... Now, after I've filled the coolant and let it sit... I went to work tonight and after work I sat in it for awhile and it heated up REALLY fast but then this time time it didn't get any hotter than the usual temperature. Then, I got on the highway to go home and she's blowing hot air in my face like normal.... I just don't get. It's like she's fine again... except for the leak of course. But even then it only leaks once every two or three weeks though, and when it does it will drip the entire time it's parked until it's moved again. I will take some pictures tomorrow to show you guys where it is leaking from and then you will understand my confusion... All of these symptoms just don't add up to ANYTHING. It's kind of disheartening but at the same time I don't feel that worried because it seems to be working okay now again. Also, where the HELL is that hose that is the farthest back on the engine that deals with coolant???? Because I just don't know what to check to see if any of it's leaking!