4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP Low oil presure light red is on!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 09:42 PM

HELP Low oil presure light red is on!!!!

Hi, my car got the low oil pressure light when I overreved it for like a second or less. And the engine has this weird knock or clatter sound coming from the engine near the passenger side? Im thinking its bad so anyone have any ideas or comments or suggestions! Just had a brand new clutch put into the car with a new rear main seal for $800 from the dealer Monday this week, and now this happens! The car is a 98 max with 168k miles! Any suggestions or comments would be helpful, right now im thinking to sell it or keep it and put a new engine in it or have the engine rebuilt or can the problem be fixed? Some help would be greatly appreciated! Im ***** out gonna be broke with this car soon!
Old 05-13-2006, 09:47 PM

I'm no mechanic, but if you have low oil pressure, and you have knocking coming from your engine quite driving it before you wreck it. Only thing i can think of is a bad oil pump or possibly your low on oil, or have a leak somewhere. Did you check your oil level after letting your car sit for like 15 minutes, it may need oil.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:56 PM

The car is sitting in the garage, not driving it its not leaking any oil, oil level seems fine added like half a quart of oil to see if it would help. to no suprise it didnt. I only ran it home like 10 miles away when it happened, which is when it overreved to 8k rpm for like a split second and then this happened. I think I ran it from 4th at 6500rpm to 3rd gear instead of 5th, im thinking thats what happened. So I got no idea what the hell is going on, but the way the motor sounds is not so good, something is not right!
Old 05-13-2006, 09:59 PM

the heck you doing in 4th gear at 6500rpm anywayz...sounds like you blew something and the motor is screwed...
Old 05-13-2006, 10:01 PM

it doesnt sound to good,that knock *could* be rod knock which is when the bearings are deprived of oil and go bad (rebuild). I have no clue if thas what it is but it could be a possibilty. also how fast were you going redlining it in 4th lol..
Old 05-13-2006, 10:27 PM

Well in a matter of fact I just had a brand new clutch put into it. And it has an exhaust and such so we were out street racing. Now i know its dumb and **** but hey i wanted to max out the car to see whats the deal. I know all are you are thinking what a dumbass but hey i learned something lol. Umm I did smoke the hell out of a 05 pontiac boneville non supercharged, smoked a 01 supercharged pontaic boneville and last but least later on was racing a 05 supercharged boneville and he got me by a foot, it was that damn close. Later on I was like 2 outa 3, and I had him until my car wheel jerked and i by accident shifted it into 3rd i think, thats what i think, then for less than a sec the engine shot up to 8k rpm and the damn light went on. I was like thats not good. It was raining too, so thats why the wheel shook. I dont remember the speed but i remember when i was done with the 1st race it was at 120mph! I will not be racing anyone for a while, ill tell all of you that! I am so pissed off right now, but hell i broke it i gotta fix it so please help me out! I have mobil 1 synthetic 10w30 in it and maybe it saved the engine! just maybe. But i will try to post a video of the sound up tommorow! I mean it sarts an all and it works fine and no oil leaks which means the block is fine hopefully, but its like a clatter maybe its the chain tensioner?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:20 PM

Have you checked your oil? It may not be leaking because it has all leaked out! Otherwise it sounds like your oil pump has gone south on you.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:44 AM
SHIFT_up

This reminds me of an acquaintance that some how managed to switch from 5th to 1st on the highway...basically he fried his engine and tranny completely!!! So most likely you blew your motor. Buy hey at least now you have an excuse to get a 3.5 swap. LoL
Old 05-14-2006, 04:36 AM

This is a common problem with the main throttle body clamp. Re tighten it and everything will be fine again.I had this happen before when I over revved.

hahahaha just kidding. You ruined the engine!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Motorhead52
This is a common problem with the main throttle body clamp. Re tighten it and everything will be fine again.I had this happen before when I over revved.

hahahaha just kidding. You ruined the engine!

Hahahahaha, what a jerk!
Old 05-14-2006, 07:20 AM

how do you know it is an oil pump, might it be a chain tensioner? Also why would an engine blow so fast? I mean if I was holding it there for like 10-20 seconds but it was for a split second. and with a 3.5 liter swap wouldnt you need a new tranny?
Old 05-14-2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by AlpineGt66
how do you know it is an oil pump, might it be a chain tensioner? Also why would an engine blow so fast? I mean if I was holding it there for like 10-20 seconds but it was for a split second. and with a 3.5 liter swap wouldnt you need a new tranny?
It really doesnt matter. A split second with that much load on the motor will definetly do some negative things to it like starve certain areas of the motor of oil. I know alot of guys that have over-reved their motor with no ill effects, me being one, but its really just the luck of the draw. You were unlucky.

BTW: Chain tentioner has nothing to do with it.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by matty
It really doesnt matter. A split second with that much load on the motor will definetly do some negative things to it like starve certain areas of the motor of oil. I know alot of guys that have over-reved their motor with no ill effects, me being one, but its really just the luck of the draw. You were unlucky.

BTW: Chain tentioner has nothing to do with it.
so do i fix the oil pump, or put a new motor in it? I was looking at motors on ebay and the higest priced one is 1500 since it has less than 15k miles on it? Also would a shop charge me a lot to put it in?
In a maxima can you pull out a motor through the top or do you have to drop it while the car is on a lift?
Old 05-14-2006, 07:49 AM

so do i fix the oil pump, or put a new motor in it?
NEW MOTOR. You messed something up in this motor. Switching out the oil pump is pretty pointless.

I was looking at motors on ebay and the higest priced one is 1500 since it has less than 15k miles on it?
Go to www.car-parts.com and find one in your area. Search for a 3.0DE or a 3.5. If you need your car back right away, then go with a DE or DEK from a 95-01 Maxima. The 3.5, from a 2002 and up, will require a bit more custom work to get it done. (3.0 timing equipment, timing cover off and 3.0 timing cover on, drilled cams) Just a bit more headaches. BTW: Dont get one from Ebay

Also would a shop charge me a lot to put it in?
Start shopping around. All places are different.

In a maxima can you pull out a motor through the top or do you have to drop it while the car is on a lift?
Can be dropped out the bottom or pulled out the top. Thats up to the swapper.

-matt
Old 05-14-2006, 07:54 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

There are many members on here who have over revved the motor. Zack, went to like 8600 rpm and nothing happend, Mike IIRC bent a valve, Kris blew his oil pump.... you could have done damage to anything. I still cant understand why you were A) racing in the rain, B) beating the **** out of a brand new clutch, C) laughing about it on here. WTF is wrong with you? You abviously are not very competent, so you may as well play dumb and bring it back to the dealer. Maybe you can blame it on their work. Good luck with that.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:44 AM
100% chingon

If your oil light is on then you have f***-all oil pressure. Probably 5 lb or something like that.
This is not going to be an oil pump problem. 99.9% sure of it.
I bet you have run a bearing, probably the main bearing(s) are shot now. The mains and big-ends on all car motors I've stripped, and that is quite a few, have a backing of steel that is lined with a soft bearing material such as lead-indium. Overrevving at the limit, it just takes a moment to break the oil film and then the bearing metal is wiped away leaving excessive gap.
Now, the oil is fed inside the crankshaft and exits via oilways under the main and big-end bearings. So when even one bearing fails, the oil is able to freely squirt out from that bad bearing; and that means the oil pressure drops, a LOT, which is why you see that red light.
If you keep running that engine, you are liable to destroy all the remaining main and big end bearings, and you'll likely see the con rod break through the crankcase, which is . . . THE END, big time.
So, you either need to change the motor completely, or... you can do what I have done a couple of times, you can pull it, remove the bearing caps, and if the crank is still within the bounds of tolerance and isn't scored, then replace the bearings. However it is unlikely that the crank is in good enough state, and if that's true then you would need to have the crankshaft reground and replace the bearings with the appropriate undersize.
If all that doesn't appeal to you . . . well like others here have said, you brought it on yourself.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
There are many members on here who have over revved the motor. Zack, went to like 8600 rpm and nothing happend, Mike IIRC bent a valve, Kris blew his oil pump.... you could have done damage to anything. I still cant understand why you were A) racing in the rain, B) beating the **** out of a brand new clutch, C) laughing about it on here. WTF is wrong with you? You abviously are not very competent, so you may as well play dumb and bring it back to the dealer. Maybe you can blame it on their work. Good luck with that.
Umm, lets see here first off wtf is your problem? 2nd it wasnt my idea to race in the rain, but when i get called out i dont back out! The clutch is fine. 4th do you expect me to cry about it? I admit its my fault and I have to fix it myself and i never was even thinking about blaming it on the dealership you coward. All im asking you guys is to just help me out with what I do next, we can't fix what has allready been done! So if you don't have anything usefull to say don't say it at all. And last thing of all you never met me or talked to me in real life you don't know who I am, so the last thing I want to hear is who is competent or not!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:23 AM

Whats a good price for a low millage VQ30DE motor and will it matter if it is from an automatic car if mine is manual?

Also what is DE or DEk, whats the diffirence?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:36 AM

Umm, lets see here first off wtf is your problem? 2nd it wasnt my idea to race in the rain, but when i get called out i dont back out! The clutch is fine. 4th do you expect me to cry about it? I admit its my fault and I have to fix it myself and i never was even thinking about blaming it on the dealership you coward. All im asking you guys is to just help me out with what I do next, we can't fix what has allready been done! So if you don't have anything usefull to say don't say it at all. And last thing of all you never met me or talked to me in real life you don't know who I am, so the last thing I want to hear is who is competent or not!

Good Job Alpine. Don't take any crap from these guys with thousand's of post's LMFAO. You have as much right being here as they do.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:05 PM

All he said was it was a bad idea to race in the rain and to be racing on a NEW clutch and I 100% agree. There are many times I back down from a race when its raining. Its called being comman sense.

-matt
Old 05-14-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

point is you broke your car trying to impress a bonneville........................................ ............
Old 05-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

by accident shifted it into 3rd i think, thats what i think, then for less than a sec the engine shot up to 8k rpm and the damn light went on. I was like thats not good. It was raining too
Street racing in the rain. Where were you when brains were handed out?
You missed a shift and blew your motor.

End of story and perhaps a lesson learned.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
point is you broke your car trying to impress a bonneville........................................ ............
street racing is not to impress people, its to have fun, and if it was to impress someone it would be my friends driving the other cars not the cars themselves. The matter of fact is don't be hating me for this, it happened so what!

I have allready bought an engine thanks to matty for the website. Thanks for leading me in the right direction. I bought a 97 maxima motor with 78k miles on it for $750 with a 1 year engine and labor warranty! Plus the guy hooked me up with their repair shop which will charge me pretty cheap!

So thanks a lot guys I appreciate it very much. And for all you haters out there, I will put my good use and take the motor which is in the car now and rake it apart and fix the problem. New rods, cams, pistons the whole deal. I want to do the whole thing with high performance parts, top of the line everything! Then I want to do a direct port nitrous injection system, and buy some beat up maxima and drop in the motor! So hows that for a mistake! I don’t think lot’s of you guys ever torn apart a maxima engine(some of you have so don’t knock on me) but I will soon join the circle of dedicated maxima enthusiast that know what they are doin! I ll post some pics soon! Thanks a lot to everyone who helped me out and that was a funny joke!
Old 05-17-2006, 04:38 PM
No more Maximas...

You are aware that an engine overhaul is no simple task? It's not like rotating your tires, or changing a fuel filter, or installing those god-awful LED washer nozzle lights that everyone seems to have now.

Stripping it down, I guess, is actually quite easy (I've done a Toyota 22RE, a Tercel block (1.8 I think), two 350's, a 324, and one or two others). It's putting it all back together correctly, with the correct clearances, torque, etc that is the 'tough' part. Do you have the equipment to disassemble and clean all of the parts of the engine, an engine stand, valve spring compressors, etc?

In any case, good luck with that build. It'll get quite expensive quite quickly.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:14 PM

A Pontiac Bonneville is not a worthy opponent to risk blowing your engine for. And racing in the rain???? Moronic move!!! You're lucky you only screwed up the engine. It could be way way worse. Now you know how its like to max-out your car.

BTW, your mechanic should have told you that there is a break-in period for your new clutch. You shouldn't have been driving it the way you did. Normal break-in period is 500miles.

All the rebuild and performance parts in the world, that you will put into your engine, won't fix the lack of common sense that you have racing in a public street and in the rain. We are not hatting on you, we are just telling you how stupid you are and you have proven that really well in this thread. Next time, use your head, think about what you are about to do before you do anything.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:16 PM

AlpineGt66:

I think the point that was attempted is that street racing is not safe, especially in the rain. I have no problem with people driving fast and taking their cars to the limit (I do it myself), but there are places to do that, tracks for example. Consider yourself lucky that it was just the motor that suffered this time and not a family of four driving home from a picknick.

Good luck with the build. Remind me not to drive public roads around MN.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
A Pontiac Bonneville is not a worthy opponent to risk blowing your engine for.
http://www.specialtytrans.com/specialty/Pont-7.jpg
Old 05-17-2006, 08:59 PM

ok u guys are city boys! And I am from boston recently moved here! So i am a city boy too! But I live in a town with 700 people now which is 4 times the size of my old town! So the country roads here are straight and car free! Now see your getting a pic in your head which is not real! 1st off to be clear it started to drizzle later on rain, and the roads were mostly DRY. 2nd i drove 160 miles to get my clutched fix, you dont know how much i drive, and its been way past 500 miles since i was maxing out the car! Also DR. MAXIMA go race a 05 pontiac bonnaville supercharged. We will see how you do! 3rd it wasnt serious or anything and the countdowns where hilarious, and our other friends did block of the roads so it was 100% safe on behalf of other cars poping up! 4th LETS MAKE IT CLEAR THAT I DID NOT BLOW MY ENGINE, it just has a stange noise comming from it but it still got me home fine 35 miles away! If I blew the engine i wouldnt of drove anyware! And for all of you that can't read, i am rebuilding the wierd noise engine, and getting a good one in my car which is allready fine! and i could care less if i fail with that project, but i will try my best. and yes i do know how to measure and take a apart an engine! Also note I know my cars limits in ice, snow, rain, or shine, so again you werent there so please guys stop being einsteins!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:01 PM

I have a question for you...... Don't ALL of our cars have 6500rpm rev limiters?? How did you get to 8k rpm? I missed gears in cars before and the rev limiter allways kicked in to prevent situations like this..

good luck on the install
Old 05-17-2006, 09:02 PM

my point exactly my 3.0L without forced induction, vs. a 3.8L with forced induction in this case a supercharger! I was close and would of had him! He gave me a ride the next day and the day after that and told me i would of had him at one more shift point.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteMaxima9600
I have a question for you...... Don't ALL of our cars have 6500rpm rev limiters?? How did you get to 8k rpm? I missed gears in cars before and the rev limiter allways kicked in to prevent situations like this..

good luck on the install
There is a way to "break throuhg" the rev limiter. If you hit it hard enough with enough force, it will let the motor rev past it. Bad stuff

-matt
Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 PM

good luck on the install
thnx and i drive a manual, so i dont know if you have an automatic or what, but if you have a manual it can go past 6500 since you decide when to switch gears not the ecu/torque converter if that answers your question!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:21 PM

Compare that to an NA Maxima is like comparing apples to oranges. Racing a boosted Boneville in an NA Maxima in the rain is a death-wish.

Boost the Maxima and run it up against that in a race track...now we're talking.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:48 PM

ok u guys are city boys! And I am from boston recently moved here! So i am a city boy too! But I live in a town with 700 people now which is 4 times the size of my old town! So the country roads here are straight and car free! Now see your getting a pic in your head which is not real!
It's still an open/public road, you cannot anticipate and control sudden traffic from either directions.

1st off to be clear it started to drizzle later on rain, and the roads were mostly DRY.
You should review your state driver's handbook....

Slippery Roads:

Slow down at the first sign of rain. This is when many roads are the most slippery because oil and dust have not been washed away. A slippery road will not give your tires the grip they need. Drive more slowly than you would on a dry road. Adjust your speed as follows:

Wet road—go five to ten miles slower.
Packed snow—reduce your speed by half.
Ice—slow to a crawl.

DR. MAXIMA go race a 05 pontiac bonnaville supercharged. We will see how you do!
I will race one when my Maxima is boosted with a VQ35 swap. Only an idiot will race a car with #1 more displacement, & #2 boosted, in an NA Maxima. Part of racing is knowing what your opponent has. Do you really think you had a chance with a boosted 3.8? Even if it is for fun, its pointless.

3rd it wasnt serious or anything and the countdowns where hilarious, and our other friends did block of the roads so it was 100% safe on behalf of other cars poping up!
You watched the Fast and the Furious too many damn times!!!

4th LETS MAKE IT CLEAR THAT I DID NOT BLOW MY ENGINE, it just has a stange noise comming from it but it still got me home fine 35 miles away! If I blew the engine i wouldnt of drove anyware! And for all of you that can't read, i am rebuilding the wierd noise engine, and getting a good one in my car which is allready fine! and i could care less if i fail with that project, but i will try my best. and yes i do know how to measure and take a apart an engine! Also note I know my cars limits in ice, snow, rain, or shine, so again you werent there so please guys stop being einsteins!
None of your explanations have justified any of the things you've done. Grow up and be a more responsible driver!
Old 05-18-2006, 04:52 AM
100% chingon

good luck on the install
The rev limiter only works if you're pushing the car to go faster. With the auto, unless you were crazy enough to manually shift down at a high speed, the over-rev can't happen. But with a manual: if you change down while going too fast, remember the engine is directly connected to the axles via the clutch and gearbox. Of course it will over-rev. No question about it.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:27 PM

It's still an open/public road, you cannot anticipate and control sudden traffic from either directions.

You should review your state driver's handbook....

Slippery Roads:

Slow down at the first sign of rain. This is when many roads are the most slippery because oil and dust have not been washed away. A slippery road will not give your tires the grip they need. Drive more slowly than you would on a dry road. Adjust your speed as follows:

Wet road—go five to ten miles slower.
Packed snow—reduce your speed by half.
Ice—slow to a crawl.

I will race one when my Maxima is boosted with a VQ35 swap. Only an idiot will race a car with #1 more displacement, & #2 boosted, in an NA Maxima. Part of racing is knowing what your opponent has. Do you really think you had a chance with a boosted 3.8? Even if it is for fun, its pointless.

You watched the Fast and the Furious too many damn times!!!

None of your explanations have justified any of the things you've done. Grow up and be a more responsible driver!

Umm lets see here ur 38 u drive a 95 maxima se manual. Not to blow your mocho atitude or anything but i consider that lame
compare it with me a 18 year old with a 98 maxima se manual, i kind a fit the spot a little better.

and to your suprise i raced 3 cars and saw how each compared to each all bonevilles. And guess what i came in with a tie with the last one, so i dont know who has the slow car here.

also doc grow up and buy a better/newer car

If you want a online contest you post pics of your car and ill post mine, and will see who has the better ride, im sure you have a lovely one

and doc one last thing a big engine dosent mean you car is fast, take into consideration weight and transmission ratios!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 01:44 PM

Age has nothing to do with it. And my problem with you is your persistence of feeling justified for street racing. I was not targetting your car by any means. Your 18 and you have a lot to learn about anything, again your actions show your immaturity. Remember, driving is a privilege not a right. Keep your attitude up with regards to this and you won't have your license very long. You need some serious growing up to do because you obviously don't care about your own safety and others. I am not a bit surprised you raced 3 cars and you probably raced them in the streets....again idiotic move!

BTW, only kids like you do online contests. I bet you also do myspace.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:31 PM

I'm pretty positive u blew 1 or more connecting rod bearings as far as the knocking goes. The oil pressure light can be on for a possible damaged oil pump unit. I'm not too sure about the oil pressure light. However, take a look at ur connecting rob bearings.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:36 PM

Age has nothing to do with it. And my problem with you is your persistence of feeling justified for street racing. I was not targetting your car by any means. Your 18 and you have a lot to learn about anything, again your actions show your immaturity. Remember, driving is a privilege not a right. Keep your attitude up with regards to this and you won't have your license very long. You need some serious growing up to do because you obviously don't care about your own safety and others. I am not a bit surprised you raced 3 cars and you probably raced them in the streets....again idiotic move!

BTW, only kids like you do online contests. I bet you also do myspace.
i dont even know why i am arguing with u, and i dont think we will solve anything so im going to tell you im sorry and if you want to add anything usefull or tell me anything usefull about my engine overhaul that would be nice, so yea what do you guys think of an direct nitrous injection? are the block walls thick enough. and no i don't use myspace, in case you were wondering.