4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Electrical problem? Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:27 AM

Electrical problem? Need advice.

Hola senoritas y senores,

Any suggestions/advice would MUCH be appreciated.

As of now, my car is dead, doesn't start, doesn't move, its a rock. I had recently bought the car from an .org member and he had to remove his amplifiers and subs from it and so had to do a bit of rewiring.

The other day when i pushed up the volume to the stereo higher than usual, the car started to lose battery power, the headlights started to dim, and the car just turned off.

I got a jump, and they guy said to remove the battery corosion and i should be good to go. I went home, the car shut off again on the road, absolutely no battery power.

Long story short, I removed all teh corosion around the battery and clips, and even had bought a new battery, but the car would still not turn on! I can't even turn on my headlights with the new battery!

I am unclear if it could be the rewiring of the stereo system that had caused this problem OR i just have a bad connection.

Is there any advice/suggestions anyone can provide for me to diagnosis this?

I have yet to check the fuses, but I do not think that that would be a problem.

Thanks!

Ps. have 99 nissan maxima
Old 05-18-2006, 11:48 AM

CHeck the ground wires around the battery and the transmissions, sounds like they have fallen apart. I dont think you are going to have to look any father than the engine compartment.

Another thing to test is to turn on the ignition and check the voltage at the cigarrette lighters and the battery. if the battery is reading 12 volts and 5 are appearing at the cigarrette lighter, then there is definitley some kind of seriously corroded connection or frayed wire.

If its 0 at the lighter, then you might have a open fusisable link.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:53 AM

If you can get hold a multimeter, check the resistance of the wires too. They should not be high. By high, I mean over 1000 ohms. If the wires that should be good are dead, then you will see high resistance readings.

The voltage check will work if the wire terminals are connected to the battery at all times, like the cigarrette lighter.

edit: check the resistance/voltage of your battery too.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:20 PM

There may be a fuseable link in the main power line going to the starter or from the battery or alternator. Find an FSM (factory service manual) and trace the wiring around the battery, starter, ignition, and alternator and it will indicate if there is a fuseable link located somewhere in there. From what you described and as well, the whole stereo removal, i'd say that is you're problem. If you are lucky, someone on th org may already have worked this out. You can download the FSM on a couple different sites. Just Google search "99 maxima FSM" and do some research.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If everything is dead and all the connections are good then you blew the main battery fuse under the hood. Its a big fuse where all the other fuses are at in the engine compartment. Fuses are always the first thing that you should check.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:49 PM

Thanks guys, this is a lot of good info, i appreciate it!

I will ofcourse start with the fuses, and then work from there. A friend of mine also mentioned that there might be a grounding problem.

I hate to take it to the mechanic and it be a simple resolution.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:56 PM

OT....you had a blue 93 SE too? Any pics?
Old 05-18-2006, 03:51 PM

Yeah i do, but its not the best.

My car got stolen, and so the pics are of the condition of the car when i got it back. Thats why I don't have it anymore, i had to get rid of it b/c it became non-operational. i don' t know if I have pics before that, I probably do, but don't know where.

Too bad though, It was a 93 blue maxima se, with manual trans and leather interior. It was golden.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by mahmoodu
Yeah i do, but its not the best.

My car got stolen, and so the pics are of the condition of the car when i got it back. Thats why I don't have it anymore, i had to get rid of it b/c it became non-operational. i don' t know if I have pics before that, I probably do, but don't know where.

Too bad though, It was a 93 blue maxima se, with manual trans and leather interior. It was golden.
I had the same thing except no leather. My favorite car by far. Oil pump went out at about 180K and needed an engine. Here goes my old baby:

Had HIDs too would always get waves from the BMW people.

Sorry about whoring your thread up but did you chack that main fuse yet?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:05 PM

Yup yup, just got back in right now.

So, here's the deelio.

I guess the guy when he took out his amps and his sub, he had to retape some of the wiring b/c they were originially split. And he didn't do a great job at all putting them back b/c the wires weren't grounded, some of the wiring were easily touching other open wires, and some wires were barely connected (which would explain why my front speaker didn't work).

After I pulled out my dash (which had not one single screw on it and were all loose!), I entirely disconnected the stereo system and plugged the battery back in and wala, it started!

Good stuff. I am glad that the problem was figured out with all of your help. Much appreciated. This experience will make me a future car buyer, b/c the person who sold it to me did a crabby job in putting all the small screws/bolts back in.

One last question though, Apparently the battery corosion that existed had chewed through a piece that was connected to the positive pole for the battery plug. It has a red color adapter to it, and its wiring is parallel to the wiring for the positive pole of the battery plug. What is that red adapter for, and why is it connected to the wiring going to the positive pole of the battery plug? Does anyone know what this is???

I should post a picture, i will if i get a chance later tonight.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:06 PM

LOVE your HIDs, mine wasn't modded at all, it was all stock, but still very nice.

Originally Posted by FASHIZL
I had the same thing except no leather. My favorite car by far. Oil pump went out at about 180K and needed an engine. Here goes my old baby:

Had HIDs too would always get waves from the BMW people.

Sorry about whoring your thread up but did you chack that main fuse yet?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:17 AM

url:http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/...m_DSC00098.jpg

So what is this red adapter, and why is it connected to the positive lead for the battery plug?

The connector piece connecting the positive battery plug and this red connector is broken (b/c it coroded), would this be a problem? and why?

Anyone know?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:28 AM
blah

I believe the thick wire goes directly to the battery while the other two in the harness go to the fuse box. Or its the other way around. Don't quote me on this! I haven't had my head under the hood in a while thank God