4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

well, it finally happened (5spd trans bit the dust)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

well, it finally happened (5spd trans bit the dust)

209,000 miles so i guess i shouldnt complain but i will anyway. does anyone on the org. rebuild/install these? im in the pa/jersey/deleware/maryland area. if not looks like i will be hitting up a local boneyard.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any details on what happened? Symptoms?
Jae
Old 05-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Livin dreams thru his Maxima

now i'm scared....my baby has 192,000 miles on her ... guess I should start looking for a new tranny ... keep us updated on ur status ....
Old 05-18-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Any details on what happened? Symptoms?
Jae

about 30,000 miles ago it started grinding and yesterday it started kinda making this grinding/chirping sound. i was in maryland at the time, luckily i got home (back in pennsylvania). i am scared to drive it because i know its one power shift away from sending a gear through the case so i am driving my jeep for now. sucks w/ gas prices the way they are. i cant blame the darn thing because i will be the first to admit i do not by ant means baby this car. i am surprised it last me that long.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:20 PM

Hit up Redlinemax in MD. They got a connection with prob one of the best transmission guys on the east coast. Or they can throw another one in if needed.

Redline:
Old 05-18-2006, 02:20 PM

well i've seen some friends grab rebuilt tranny's off ebay u might wanna check that out
Old 05-18-2006, 02:35 PM

I know it won't drive nearly as good with a rebuilt tranny, Will it drive the same with a used tranny? is not, maybe you should invest in getting another used max....$1500-2000k for a rebuilt tranny and what like $500-800 used maybe.....

Goog luck man... tell me how it turns out
Old 05-18-2006, 02:42 PM

My car was stolen last year and when I got it back there was a slow leak somewhere (unbeknownst to me) and by the time I was experiencing major symptoms it was too late. Only had 90K miles on it too!!

$3500 out the door for rebuilt/labor (thank you Allstate). Everything is fine now and I expect him to run a long time but you have to ask yourself: is $3500 okay to spend on a car that's only worth about $7000?? It certainly won't up the resale value.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stagnet04
I know it won't drive nearly as good with a rebuilt tranny, Will it drive the same with a used tranny? is not, maybe you should invest in getting another used max....$1500-2000k for a rebuilt tranny and what like $500-800 used maybe.....

Goog luck man... tell me how it turns out

huh? why wouldnt it drive good w/ a rebuilt tranny? if its done right it would be better than inheriting the problems of another used one. i dont think i am going to get rid of the car because it needs a tranny.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by larryseibel
huh? why wouldnt it drive good w/ a rebuilt tranny? if its done right it would be better than inheriting the problems of another used one. i dont think i am going to get rid of the car because it needs a tranny.
Also a good rebuild is sometimes better than new.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by FASHIZL
Also a good rebuild is sometimes better than new.
Yeah, some people believe our tranny's weren't shimmed right from the factory.
Jae
Old 05-18-2006, 03:28 PM

Because I have had a Hond Accord and a mitsubishi Diamonte and blew out both tranny's and had the BOTH re-built and they BOTH SUCKED NUT after and didn't even come close to the shifting ability and power that the originals had...Im sure anyone here who has had there rebuilt would agree....
Old 05-18-2006, 03:47 PM

Because I have had a Hond Accord and a mitsubishi Diamonte and blew out both tranny's and had the BOTH re-built and they BOTH SUCKED NUT after and didn't even come close to the shifting ability and power that the originals had...Im sure anyone here who has had there rebuilt would agree....
A rebuild is only as good as the person rebuilding them. You just had a bad experience with them both. Was the accord an auto? I've rarely seen any problems with those trannys ever having problems. Automatic rebuilds are a bit more complicated than manuals and the guy i referred him to is the same one that makes the bullet-proof automatics that a few maximas/I30s on here have.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by FASHIZL
A rebuild is only as good as the person rebuilding them. You just had a bad experience with them both. Was the accord an auto? I've rarely seen any problems with those trannys ever having problems. Automatic rebuilds are a bit more complicated than manuals and the guy i referred him to is the same one that makes the bullet-proof automatics that a few maximas/I30s on here have.
Are you kidding, the Honda 4sp autos don't have troubles? My dad's '98 Prelude's tranny blew at 60k. He was 58yrs old. His car was stock.

...I drove it a lot , but that is still basically inexcusable. I have heard a lot of other horror stories with these trannies.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:30 PM

mitsubishi Diamonte
I'm confused. Either Diamonte came in 5sp manual and I didn't know about it, or larryseibel has a 5sp automatic maxima.

Jae
Old 05-18-2006, 04:42 PM

Check carpart.com. That's where I found my used transmission. I believe I got one for $800 shipped with 40k on it. I wouldn't rebuild unless you know of someone who has experience with maxima 5 speeds. I have heard countless horror stories on the org about people's rebuilds crapping out early.
Also, to the guy above that blew the honda tranny. Was it a 5 speed? Those things are bullet proof. I haven't heard of anyone I know with one having trouble with them ever. I sold my 91 accord ex 5 speed with 199k on the original transmission AND clutch........not to mention original alty, engine, most other major parts. I did have trouble with the axles on hondas that I have owned though. There is a fuel relay switch that likes to die on those too but that's better than a transmission.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:27 PM

My accord was a 91 auto and it blew out at about 110k, no joke and after the re-built tranny it lagged so much and as far as the diamonte, yes it was an auto too and same exact problem after that re-build, believe it or not, it KILLED all these riced out hondas, I used to race it stock and the guys would get SO PISSED!!! ahahahahah!!! but thats why I blew it out. My friend also had a 94-95 Civic Manual, same thing with the tranny and it was never the same..... Those are my experiences, my advice just like the other guys above me is, unless you have a guy who will sit there and take his time to get everything just right, go with a used one....
Old 05-18-2006, 05:33 PM

Wow, now I have to search for a good 5spd trans for my swap. Good luck to those that need new trans.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:59 PM

I had (have) a rebuilt manual and it does not seem to run quite as good as the first tranny. At low RPMs it shudders when I step on the gas too hard. BUT I'm not sure if it's the transmission's fault or the mechanic's fault.

Whether it runs as good or not I still think $3500 is too much to spend on a car that's not even worth half that much. But when you're in a position where you love your Max and a new car loan is out of the question, it's what you have to do.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:24 PM

209,000 miles so i guess i shouldnt complain but i will anyway. does anyone on the org. rebuild/install these? im in the pa/jersey/deleware/maryland area. if not looks like i will be hitting up a local boneyard.
if that was the original tranny thats awesome
Old 05-19-2006, 02:36 AM
Maintenance Monster

There are a few elements here I want to explain:

The feel of how a tranny shifts is a combination of a few things: the action of the synchros, the engagement of the gear dogs, and the movement and sliding of the shifter system. All of them wear and each tranny develops its own feel. Even though one used tranny might feel nice, doesn't mean it's in mechanically better condition. To try and rebuild a tranny to have perfect shifting feel as well as be durable and functional can cost much more than most people are willing to consider.

Larry's right - buying a lower mileage used tranny does mean you will inherit its problems. And all used trannys have some problems, noticeable or not, serious or not. It's not like they march along free of wear until one day something bad happens. If the tranny you're using now has damaged hard parts inside (whining noise, heavy grinding, etc) then rebuilding it may cost more and result is a lesser result than to buy a used tranny with bearing wear and rebuilding that instead. The best rebuilds are the ones with carrier bearing failure, IMO.

Dave
Old 05-19-2006, 06:05 AM
100% chingon

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
There are a few elements here I want to explain:
The feel of how a tranny shifts is a combination of a few things: the action of the synchros, the engagement of the gear dogs, and the movement and sliding of the shifter system. All of them wear and each tranny develops its own feel. Even though one used tranny might feel nice, doesn't mean it's in mechanically better condition. To try and rebuild a tranny to have perfect shifting feel as well as be durable and functional can cost much more than most people are willing to consider.
Dave

Dead right.
I haven't done a Max tranny but I've rebuilt a few bike gearboxes. Most of the moving parts are case hardened. Relatively small amount of wear for a long long time, but eventually when the hardening gets worn enough, then you get a lot of wear in a short time and the tranny starts falling apart.
That's the rebuild problem. The rebuilder needs a darn good eye for wear, and should also have accurate measuring devices for stuff like shimming the end float. Some rebuilders do a quick 'n dirty job, just replace the synchro rings, new fork, couple of shims, new oil seals, cram it all back together.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:43 AM

I'm no pro but I had my transmission rebuilt like a two months ago and it is better then it was before. It shifts better and all around it just feels better. And when getting the tranny rebuilt it depends on what you want. My bearings were bad so they asked if I just wanted to do those, but I told them to just replace everything while the tranny was out and opened up. Maybe if I didn't have them replace everything it wouldn't be as nice as it is now but still it was only $900 and it was from a very reputable shop. So I picked it up slapped back in my car and that was it. Now instead of buying a tranny from the Junk yard I know what I have and that is the difference.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:11 AM

I had mine rebuilt because of the carrier bearing problem, cost me over $1000. It is for sale now because I wrecked the car about 50miles after I left the shop. Sigh.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:02 AM

mines got 182,000 miles and it started making an odd grinding noise which got worse after i replaced both my driveshafts for an unrelated reason. I didnt replace my passenger side output shaft seal and i guess we knicked it putting it back in so it came back out yesterday and i found out i somehow snapped my driveshaft support, and it has been broken for awhile. not sure if that could have caused my grinding noise, but we will find out as soon as i get a new support bracket
Old 05-19-2006, 08:07 AM

I saw a 97 (I think) 5 speed with VLSD in the 4th gen classifieds, its reasonably priced too. You should check that out.