4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Not again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 05:01 PM

Not again!!!

SO about 6 months ago my Maxima (95) starting running like crap, my CEL came on, and I found out that cylinder 6 was misfiring. So, I had to fork over about $500 to get that fixed.

Then just last Sunday on my way home I realized I needed gas, in fact I barely made it there before it ran out... and it was running like crap, like it does when you have no gas. So I filled it up and drove home. But it was still runnning badly, and still is. It sounds just like it did when my cylinder was misfiring, but it doesnt run near as bad as it did before, it fact it seems to run fine, it just sounds terrible. Wouldnt be a big deal, but my CEL isnt coming on so I dont know what to do. I would prefer not to pay $70 to take it in and have them figure it out. Could it be bad gas? Maybe my spark plugs? What are some options? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You could have a bad fuel pump. I've had cars towed into the shop that customers said that they ran out of gas, put some in it, and it ran like crap afterwards. It could just be bad gas too. I'd drive this current tank out and see what happens afterwards.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:32 PM

Another thing I forgot to mention is Im trying to sell it, so I havent been driving it hardly at all. Therefore, the same gas had been in it for quite some time... Could that contriubute to the problem? I think I also need to get the oil changed too. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Maxed_Out_Maxma
SO about 6 months ago my Maxima (95) starting running like crap, my CEL came on, and I found out that cylinder 6 was misfiring. So, I had to fork over about $500 to get that fixed.
$500 to fix a misfire?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxed_Out_Maxma
Another thing I forgot to mention is Im trying to sell it, so I havent been driving it hardly at all. Therefore, the same gas had been in it for quite some time... Could that contriubute to the problem? I think I also need to get the oil changed too. Thanks for your help.

How long has that gas been in there? Also if a car has sat a while its common for it to run rough until it has gone through a few warming and cooling cycles.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
$500 to fix a misfire?
I was thinking the same, he probably took it to a dealership. Meaning they had to replace all 6.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:43 PM

Well, I did take it to a dealership to get it fixed, but everywhere else I called was a lot more expensive. The dealership was surpirsingly cheaper than anywhere else.