4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My iPod Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 09:39 AM
bds

My iPod Mod

This is my iPod Mini mod for a 1999 Maxima with Bose and CD changer. I mounted the dock in my ashtray. I have some pictures but can’t figure out how to post them. If you need them I can email them to you.

Parts:
USA Spec PA11-NIS iPod adapter $120.00 online at discount stereo
iPod mini adapter, Pack of three $10.00 from the apple store
Two Part plastic epoxy $5.00

1. Remove radio. [URL="http://ahsan.fotopic.net/c191230_1.html"]

2. Plug in PA11-NIS cable per instructions. Note the PA11-NIS supplied instructions are a little vague here. You will remove the largest connecter on the back of the radio head and plug that into the female connector of the supplied cable, then plug the large connecter. The last connection plugs into the left side of the radio looking at it from the back. It’s the only place it will fit. I ran this cable down the drivers side of the center consol near the ECU next to the gas peddle. At this point i connected everything and tested the iPod. Turn on the radio and select CD/CHG. BE PATIENT it will flash NO CD for about 10 to 20 seconds until it recognizes the iPod. If all is well you can reinstall the radio and air vent.

3. Mount the iPod. Decide where you want to put the iPod. You can put it in the glove box use a cigarette lighter holder or do what I did, build a dock in the ash tray.

3a. First trim one of the iPod mini adapters to fit the width of the ash tray. I used a heavy duty pair of scissors for this. Then sand the edges smooth and round the corners. Now you will epoxy the PA11-NIS supplied iPod cable to the adapter. I used two layer of painters tape around the bottom of my Mini to give it a snug fit in the adapter. Put the iPod in the adapter then plug in the cable. Turn this upside down and tape off the adapter so the epoxy won't run off and leave about an eighth of an inch lip to hold the epoxy. When everything is taped off and snug, epoxy the cable to the bottom of the iPod adapter. Let this dry for at least a couple of hours.

3b. Mount this assembly in the ashtray. This was the hardest part for me. I had to remove part of the back of the ashtray insert (the part that faces the passenger compartment) to make room for the iPod cable. I got some black Formica samples and cut strips to create a ridge for the dock to sit on. I then tacked the dock in place and let dry a couple of hours. If all is well so far then tape the top of the ashtray insert so no epoxy will leak through. Then turn it upside down and pour on the epoxy. Once the epoxy is set, at least a couple of hours you can pull off the tape then let it dry overnight. I ran the iPod cable to the right side of the ECU. Reinstall Ashtray and trim.

4. Install PA11-NIS. I installed mine under the ECU. It fit perfectly. I have the Radio cable and Dip switches on the left side and the AUX input and iPod cable on the right. I did it this way so I would have easy access to the dip switches and AUX input. Reinstall plastic trim and you are done.

Minor Gripes: Alternator whine. During normal play I can’t detect any noise, however if I pause the iPod and turn the volume way up I can hear some whine. Some time the track number on the CD head doesn’t match the track number on the iPod. For example if you start a play list on track 4 the radio head will count it as track 1. Not a biggie, the nice thing is that you can use the buttons on the radio to change tracks.

Final thoughts: Overall, I am very pleased with USA Spec PA11-NIS iPod adapter. The sound quality is Outstanding, so much better than a FM adapter and the volume matches the CD and radio perfectly. The installation is very professional just a dock inside the ashtray that can be closed when not in use. If anyone knows how to post pictures let me know or I can email them to you. It really is a pretty slick install.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:10 AM
I need a truck

Load the pictures up to cardomain or something and then post them here. Sounds pretty cool.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:23 AM

yeah, i would love to see these pics.

imageshack.us works well...
Old 05-26-2006, 10:47 AM
bds

Here are the Pics, I think?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2364342/1

Old 05-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Shift_custom

Under side of ashtray with cable epoxied in place

Original and trimed iPod Mini adapter

Installed PA11 under ECU, you can see the dip switches on the rt

Final Product
Old 05-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

USA Spec PA11-NIS iPod adapter does it have a normal AUX port as well?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:17 PM

hey bds, i installed the same adaptor. do you ever get like skipping noises from it? like it would on a cd? sometimes it would skip and slow down the music?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:25 PM

Um... I would think that's your ipod, not the power/output cable.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:06 PM
I need a truck

Cool pics.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:12 PM
bds

Originally Posted by zack342
USA Spec PA11-NIS iPod adapter does it have a normal AUX port as well?
Yes with rca jacks, but i haven't tried that yet.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:17 PM
bds

Originally Posted by 1NICEMAX
hey bds, i installed the same adaptor. do you ever get like skipping noises from it? like it would on a cd? sometimes it would skip and slow down the music?
No, it works fine so far. The only problem I have is that it is not charging my iPod. I called Spec USA and they said I need to send it in for a firmware update. It worked when I first installed it but after about an hour it quit charging. Its supposed to quit charging after the car is turned off for an hour. I guess its just a glitch. They also said they would send me a filter for the alternator whine. I might not install that since I cant here the whine unless the iPod is paused and the volume is all the way up.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:24 PM
bds

Here is the users manual for the PA11-NIS

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/pa11-nis.pdf

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/pa11-nis.pdf
Old 05-26-2006, 09:54 PM

It's strange that you should say this, because I have the PA11-NIS, and there is at least one instance where I hit bump and it skipped. It's not a huge problem, though. Although, just tonight it started crackling and then my radio shut off, and I had to turn it back on. Still, for the most part, I haven't had hardly any problems.

HOWEVER... I am wondering if anyone else has installed this in a pre-1999 bose system. The PA11-NIS supposedly only works with 1999 and above Maximas. I have a 1998 Max with Bose, and while the regular RCA jacks work perfectly fine, the iPod dock connector does not. At first it didn't work at all. Then I played around with it (mostly just unplugged and plugged it back in) and got it to where the stereo would control the iPod, but the audio was horrible (muffled and crackly).

Is anyone else able to confirm whether this is due to the incompatibility with the 98 bose or if this is a problem with my specific PA11-NIS unit? I could switch out the bose head unit. Does anyone know if a 1999 bose head unit will replace a 1998 head unit, or are they not compatible with the auxiliary amps, etc?
Old 05-27-2006, 06:55 PM
bds

Have you tried contacting Spec USA, there tech support seems pretty helpful
Old 05-30-2006, 05:31 AM
bds

Has anyone had problems charging their iPoc with the PA11
Old 05-30-2006, 05:44 AM
Tha Snatcher

Great job and clean install.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you ever get the firmware issues worked out?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

What does that ipod adapter give you over a regular aux input? Does it let you control the songs?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:50 AM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

the most likely reason it skips is the ipod, with the exception of the ipod nano model, have internal hard drives much like computers do. If your not familiar with the inner workings of a hard drive its alot like a record player. The disk (or disks) spin at a said rpm and a needle reads the data. Some ipods will skip when vibration sets in, they are struck, etc because the needle will bounce just the tinyest bit.

Not all ipods are affected, but some are. Juse depends on how well the machine put yours together. The nanos dont feel the effect because they dont have any moving parts inside, they use a flash memory style hard drive.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:10 PM

Dude! Thats the money shot right there.. the best install I have seen and it looks like it should be there with the popout coin tray - good work!

Final Product
[/QUOTE]
Old 07-06-2006, 02:14 PM
VK56 Inside

Rediculously clean install! mbsup:
Old 07-06-2006, 02:50 PM

very nice i'm jealous
Old 07-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow.. thats an awesome install, unique nd real clean.. Ima 'try' and get someone throw that up in my Max, REAL HOT !!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow.. thats an awesome install, unique nd real clean.. Ima 'try' and get someone throw that up in my Max, REAL HOT !!

What u can also do, if u didnt want to install it like this.. You can just get an Ipod to Cassette adapter , from an Ipod store for like $20. Thats like a basic way to use your Ipod in your car.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by RocLaMaxima99v6
What u can also do, if u didnt want to install it like this.. You can just get an Ipod to Cassette adapter , from an Ipod store for like $20. Thats like a basic way to use your Ipod in your car.
poor noob, this will be much higher quality and no hiss, AUX will give superior quality of tape and fm transmitters.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by bds

WOW, thats nice, all I need is an Ipod....
Old 07-06-2006, 07:35 PM

very F'in coooooooooooooooooooooool
Old 07-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was wondering the same thing about that 1998 maxima question. I have the 98 with the bose system. and i just ordered the adapter. I was wondering if it would be compatible, i really just need it to charge and play. I dont mind controlling from the ipod. Did u get that far Kreg37?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by lilt19ad6
I was wondering the same thing about that 1998 maxima question. I have the 98 with the bose system. and i just ordered the adapter. I was wondering if it would be compatible, i really just need it to charge and play. I dont mind controlling from the ipod. Did u get that far Kreg37?
Yes. I do believe that the 98 bose head unit will work. originally, it didn't work well, and i thought it was the HU. so i replaced it with a 99. same problem. i determined that the problem was with a short in the PA11-NIS. so after all the work of switching out the HU, it turns out that wasn't the problem, anyway.

new problem, and i may start a new thread on this... has anyone noticed the radio reception being worse with the 99 HU? it seems like it is to me... particularly when i'm listening to talk radio. people's "S" words sound more crackled. As in, "The silly salamander slipped down the slippery slope" would sound crackly.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:46 AM
bds

Sorry Guys, I havn't checked this thread for a while. I did get the unit back from tech support, they fixed whatever was wrong and it charges fine now. The only problem i'v had is that after driving on a rough road for about 30 minutes the ipod comes loose. I should have made the connector extend through the dock a little farther. I also ordered a burlwood ipod skin to match my interior, but havnt recieved it yet.

Someone asked how you control the ipod. There are two ways, one through the ipod controls and with the other the ipod acks like a 6 disk cd changer. You can setup 5 playlist and the 6th is for playing all songs. In this mode the bose control head controls all functions.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:50 AM

I-POS sucks. But very nice install, I am planning on doing that with my Creative Zen Vision M, just unsure if I am going to do it there, or somewhere else, but other than it being an I-Pod very nice.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:57 AM

Nice write up, I will be doing this soon. Only thing is can you do it with any other mp3 player?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by bds
This is my iPod Mini mod for a 1999 Maxima with Bose and CD changer. I mounted the dock in my ashtray. I have some pictures but can’t figure out how to post them. If you need them I can email them to you.

Parts:
USA Spec PA11-NIS iPod adapter $120.00 online at discount stereo
iPod mini adapter, Pack of three $10.00 from the apple store
Two Part plastic epoxy $5.00

1. Remove radio. [URL="http://ahsan.fotopic.net/c191230_1.html"]

2. Plug in PA11-NIS cable per instructions. Note the PA11-NIS supplied instructions are a little vague here. You will remove the largest connecter on the back of the radio head and plug that into the female connector of the supplied cable, then plug the large connecter. The last connection plugs into the left side of the radio looking at it from the back. It’s the only place it will fit. I ran this cable down the drivers side of the center consol near the ECU next to the gas peddle. At this point i connected everything and tested the iPod. Turn on the radio and select CD/CHG. BE PATIENT it will flash NO CD for about 10 to 20 seconds until it recognizes the iPod. If all is well you can reinstall the radio and air vent.

3. Mount the iPod. Decide where you want to put the iPod. You can put it in the glove box use a cigarette lighter holder or do what I did, build a dock in the ash tray.

3a. First trim one of the iPod mini adapters to fit the width of the ash tray. I used a heavy duty pair of scissors for this. Then sand the edges smooth and round the corners. Now you will epoxy the PA11-NIS supplied iPod cable to the adapter. I used two layer of painters tape around the bottom of my Mini to give it a snug fit in the adapter. Put the iPod in the adapter then plug in the cable. Turn this upside down and tape off the adapter so the epoxy won't run off and leave about an eighth of an inch lip to hold the epoxy. When everything is taped off and snug, epoxy the cable to the bottom of the iPod adapter. Let this dry for at least a couple of hours.

3b. Mount this assembly in the ashtray. This was the hardest part for me. I had to remove part of the back of the ashtray insert (the part that faces the passenger compartment) to make room for the iPod cable. I got some black Formica samples and cut strips to create a ridge for the dock to sit on. I then tacked the dock in place and let dry a couple of hours. If all is well so far then tape the top of the ashtray insert so no epoxy will leak through. Then turn it upside down and pour on the epoxy. Once the epoxy is set, at least a couple of hours you can pull off the tape then let it dry overnight. I ran the iPod cable to the right side of the ECU. Reinstall Ashtray and trim.

4. Install PA11-NIS. I installed mine under the ECU. It fit perfectly. I have the Radio cable and Dip switches on the left side and the AUX input and iPod cable on the right. I did it this way so I would have easy access to the dip switches and AUX input. Reinstall plastic trim and you are done.

Minor Gripes: Alternator whine. During normal play I can’t detect any noise, however if I pause the iPod and turn the volume way up I can hear some whine. Some time the track number on the CD head doesn’t match the track number on the iPod. For example if you start a play list on track 4 the radio head will count it as track 1. Not a biggie, the nice thing is that you can use the buttons on the radio to change tracks.

Final thoughts: Overall, I am very pleased with USA Spec PA11-NIS iPod adapter. The sound quality is Outstanding, so much better than a FM adapter and the volume matches the CD and radio perfectly. The installation is very professional just a dock inside the ashtray that can be closed when not in use. If anyone knows how to post pictures let me know or I can email them to you. It really is a pretty slick install.

Can this be done with a different Head Unit? Like an aftermrket one and not a bose?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:57 PM

this is what i did with mine.. but i have the adapte for the pioneer radio

Old 07-18-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
this is what i did with mine.. but i have the adapte for the pioneer radio

This is just as nice, So im guessing you did the same type of install with a different location and different adaptor right? what adaptor did you use, cuz my HU is Pioneer to....
Old 07-18-2006, 08:19 PM

i used the adapter that i got when i worked at worstbuy.... its acually pretty good u need a pioneer radio that is deh3700 or higher for it to work though....
heres a link of a similar one
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142288271433
Old 07-18-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
i used the adapter that i got when i worked at worstbuy.... its acually pretty good u need a pioneer radio that is deh3700 or higher for it to work though....
heres a link of a similar one
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142288271433
Cool, thats perfect cuz it's not so expensive either. I can't wait now...
Old 08-10-2006, 01:41 PM
bds

Originally Posted by Stagnet04
This is just as nice, So im guessing you did the same type of install with a different location and different adaptor right? what adaptor did you use, cuz my HU is Pioneer to....
Nice Install. I thought about doing it that way. I got my burlwood skin today and will try to post some more pictures of the final install. Looks good.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:59 PM
bds

New Pictures of final install with burlwood skin. Check it out! Scroll down to the last 3 Pics.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by bds
New Pictures of final install with burlwood skin. Check it out! Scroll down to the last 3 Pics.

NOW THAT IS PERFECT!!!!. Im working on doing my set up just like this but with a nano....nice job...

Quick Reply: My iPod Mod