4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tire suggestions... please help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 12:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hi guys, I was wondering if you all could part with some of your wisdom here to help me pick a tire. I was looking at the tire ratings on www.tirerack.com and wanted to get something in the Max performance or Ultra-high performance categories. I had my mind set on the Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP that is #1 in the Ultra-high performance category. The Bridgestone Potenza S-02/03 Pole Position top the max performance section.

Now I was wondering how reliable these Firestone tires are. They are not cheapo tires like OEM by any means I don't think. But I was wondering if they are hazardous at all... like, would it be better to go with another brand even though Bridgestone/Firestone top the performance tire lists.

Please give me suggestions as to what kinds of tires some of your s/c Maximas use where the focus isn't necessarily on speed, but also on handling and stickyness. Is the Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP a good tire to get for all that?

Thank you for all your inputs.
Old 06-21-2001, 05:28 AM

The SO-2 is a great tire I have them on my Z. But keep in mind summer tire only. If you need all season go with the Michelin Pilots
Old 06-21-2001, 09:39 AM
ajaffee

I had the SZ50's on my Z28 (sold the car). I have no complaints with the tires. They seemed durable and handled very well for most uses. I never raced on them (road course), and I was able to smoke the tires quite easily (sometimes unwanted), but a Maxima shouldn't have that problem. They are a good tire without a doubt, but you could probably get some others that would perform just as well for less money. Check the specials at Tire Rack on certain sizes. Give them a call and see what they have going on. They are very helpful with recommendations.

Old 06-21-2001, 11:20 AM
4 Maximas and counting

Brand name damage

I wouldn't worry so much about the particular tire model personally. Firestone (rightly so) is suffering severe backlash for their woes in relation to the Explorer. But one model doesn't mean that all models suffer the same flaw.
OTOH, if they can cut corners on one model, they could cut corners on all. That being said, all manufacturers look for opportunities to reduce cost (and raise profit). Firestone was not the first, and wil not be the last, to cut corners too far. Fortunately (for us) they were "caught".

If I were in your position, and needed summer tires, I'd consider the SZ50EP. The Pole Positions are supposedly fantastic tires, but the price is high and the tread wear is awful. The S-03 seems to address treadwear, but they're too new IMHO to trust the scores. Price is an issue with the Firestones as well. The Bridgestone Potenza RE730s and Ecsta Supra 712 give pretty good scores at a much lower cost. When I spoke on the phone with a tirerack employee (some time ago I admit), he stated that the RE730 would rank almost directly behind the Pole Position S-02 on the Maximum performance survey chart. Every survey has its own fuzz factor, but to me, looking at that data, the performance of tires above the SZ50 (not the EP) or the Pilot Sport should be "good enough" for almost any street situation and other factors become the deciding ones. For me, those would be wet performance, treadwear, noise, comfort and price. With those things in mind the RE730 and the Ecsta 712 seem to be excellent values.

Originally posted by speedemn
Hi guys, I was wondering if you all could part with some of your wisdom here to help me pick a tire. I was looking at the tire ratings on www.tirerack.com and wanted to get something in the Max performance or Ultra-high performance categories. I had my mind set on the Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP that is #1 in the Ultra-high performance category. The Bridgestone Potenza S-02/03 Pole Position top the max performance section.

Now I was wondering how reliable these Firestone tires are. They are not cheapo tires like OEM by any means I don't think. But I was wondering if they are hazardous at all... like, would it be better to go with another brand even though Bridgestone/Firestone top the performance tire lists.

Please give me suggestions as to what kinds of tires some of your s/c Maximas use where the focus isn't necessarily on speed, but also on handling and stickyness. Is the Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP a good tire to get for all that?

Thank you for all your inputs.
Old 06-21-2001, 01:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Brand name damage

When I got a quote for a set of RE730s and SZ50EPs, they were pretty much the same price locally. So I decided to go for the SZ50 EPs since they were rated higher, albeit the RE730 had a LOT more miles reported in its ratings, so it would be more representative compared to th SZZ50 EP. But I guess SZ50 EP has enough miles on its survey to trust its rating. I am getting the set of 4, mounted and balanced, all for $800 CDN.

P.S. That is also due to the fact that Firestone is running a $20 rebate per tire, so I get $80 back... that's why $800 after rebate.

Thanks for all your opinions guys. You've all been a great help. I am now more confident about my choice to purchase the SZ50 EP.

Originally posted by philpoe
I wouldn't worry so much about the particular tire model personally. Firestone (rightly so) is suffering severe backlash for their woes in relation to the Explorer. But one model doesn't mean that all models suffer the same flaw.
OTOH, if they can cut corners on one model, they could cut corners on all. That being said, all manufacturers look for opportunities to reduce cost (and raise profit). Firestone was not the first, and wil not be the last, to cut corners too far. Fortunately (for us) they were "caught".

If I were in your position, and needed summer tires, I'd consider the SZ50EP. The Pole Positions are supposedly fantastic tires, but the price is high and the tread wear is awful. The S-03 seems to address treadwear, but they're too new IMHO to trust the scores. Price is an issue with the Firestones as well. The Bridgestone Potenza RE730s and Ecsta Supra 712 give pretty good scores at a much lower cost. When I spoke on the phone with a tirerack employee (some time ago I admit), he stated that the RE730 would rank almost directly behind the Pole Position S-02 on the Maximum performance survey chart. Every survey has its own fuzz factor, but to me, looking at that data, the performance of tires above the SZ50 (not the EP) or the Pilot Sport should be "good enough" for almost any street situation and other factors become the deciding ones. For me, those would be wet performance, treadwear, noise, comfort and price. With those things in mind the RE730 and the Ecsta 712 seem to be excellent values.