4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Good reason to stick with OEM o-rings

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 01:20 PM

Good reason to stick with OEM o-rings

I bought 3 new injectors and they came with new o-rings. Took off the IM about 3 weeks back and changed the rear 3 (1 was bad, didnt want the other 2 going bad during winter). Ran into misfire/hesitation/hard start problems (front injectors tested fine) so I changed out all the plugs and coil packs (bought a used set from someone local). Still had the misfire/hesitation/hard starts and the car was eating gas like crazy (filled up the tank with premium, was down to 1/4 mark after 140 miles)

Today I decided to pull the IM again to see what the prob was. The injectors tested fine so I pulled them out and noticed this:
(lost 1 of the smaller ones in the grass)

The aftermarket ones were a little too big and not as solid as the OEM ones. The upper larger ones were fine, but the smaller lower ones "ripped" into a smaller size causing my injectors to leak and flood the engine (hard starts). Changed them out with new OEM ones and the misfire/hesitation/hard starts are finally gone (might have to change out the oil again)
Old 07-14-2006, 05:56 PM

Can you give me any tips on replacing the injectors????

My Maxima has been running like crap and thought initially it was the Knock-Sensor. I think the code was 0304. But after replacing the knock-sensor it still was running like crap, so off the the local dealer to do diags.

Found that cyl#3 was mis-firing because of an injector out of range. Wasn't into giving them 7 bills to do the job, so I'm stuck doing it.

Bought the parts tonight. The injector is a re-man but originally OEM part but also includes the o-rings.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:14 PM

First go buy some OEM o-rings so you dont have to end up taking off the IM again like I had to (lube them with oil so it'll be easier to slide on the injector)

It really wasnt that bad for me since I didnt have any bolts in the back of the IM (only had to take off the 2 EGR bolts near the IACV - dont forget to put the EGR gasket back on). Heres a good how to: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/443899/2

Since its your first time, just start in the morning since it'll take a while (I spent ~3 hrs taking it completely off the first time, but a lil over an hour the second time). You might as well clean up some of the carbon buildup too since you're taking off the IM anyways. Took some pics: http://www.jatan.net/im/ (3rd one shows the clogged EGR tube)

Most likely your injector screws will be too soft (dont bother trying with a screwdriver first) so:
- Get a vise grip and grab the top of the screw, then twist the vise grip in order to break the screw loose
- After both of the injector screws are loosened, use the screwdriver to remove them
- Remove the top metal injector cap
- Put the 2 screws back on by themselves (leave the metal cap off)
- Use 2 small screwdrivers or something else as leverage to pop the injector out (there are small holes on the sides of the injectors - dont bother trying to force it out with a wrench)

I'll take some pics of what I'm talking about tomorrow morning
Old 07-15-2006, 08:40 AM

Grip the screw with a vise grip:

Turn the vise grip counterclockwise and you'll hear it "break loose" (then use a screwdriver to remove):

Take off both screws, remove metal cap, and then put the screws back about half way in:

Use small screwdrivers or something else that'll fit (I used an L key thing & screwdriver) and just push down on them, the injector will pop right out without any probs:

You can see that I tried to pull the injector out before with the vise grip and the top plastic was just breaking off lol

Good luck - it really isnt that bad