4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Removing fuel injector from rail

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:29 AM

Removing fuel injector from rail

Hi All,

Unbelievably, when my father was driving his 4th gen Maxima to get a fuel injector for my 3rd gen, one of his injectors went out. I am waiting for the auto parts store to get his injector in. I have been unable to get my 3rd gen injector out of the rail, and plan on removing the rail to replace it. I hope to not do that on his car.

I found in the stickies a FAQ for replacing 4th gen injectors. Unfortunately the picture and description is not clear to what he levered against on the injector to pull it out. On my 3rd gen, levering against the connector was the only possibility. When I tried, it I bent my screwdriver, fractured the connector, and the injector still didn't come out.

Has anyone else successfully removed a 4th gen injector by pulling or levering it out, and how did you do it? Has anyone been unable to pull a 4th gen injector out and had to remove the fuel rail, how did that go? Somewhere else I read the mention of the possibility of a special tool that hooks to something on the injector, but a tool is not listed in the FSM. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:40 PM
seanish4042

i did it last week. took like an hour and fifteen goddam minutes.

prepare yourself for insane frustration and the ultimate curse-a-thon.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:33 PM

Success!

OK,

I just got finished. It took me 1.5 hours, not counting time spent standing around cursing, trying to figure out what to do next, and 3 trips to the auto parts store. 4 hours if you count all that stuff.

I stripped the head of one injector cap screw even though I was carefully using an impact screwdriver (which is a sweet device for siezed screws). It was so soft I think it failed to go through heat treatment or something. It was much softer than all the other screws I have removed from both our Maximas. Drilling out the head with a 1/4 inch bit (wiggling it around) worked great. The body of the screw came out easily after lifting off the injector cap.

I fought trying to pull the injector for half an hour with hand strength on the connector, and with pliers wiggling it back and forth to no results until... I grabbed the square part of the injector body that protrudes with vise grips and rotated it in one direction while pulling up and it popped right out. I would only recommend this if you are throwing it away because it scuffs up the top of the injector. If you are trying to get them cleaned and flow tested, I don't know what to tell you.

A BIG TIP even if you release fuel pressure by pulling the fuel pump fuse and letting the car stall, it still has a decent amount of pressure. When the injector popped out, a 2 foot high spray of gas went everywhere, including my eye. Next time I would lay a shop towel over the injector as I pull and turn my head away so the gas only gets on my arms.

Good luck to anyone who tries this!
Old 07-15-2006, 06:01 PM

took me 2hrs....u guys got it good.