4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Do I keep it???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:50 PM

Do I keep it???

My 97 SE has over 200k on it (almost all highway), and I'm really debating if its worth keeping or not. It's running great, a few small probs here and there but nothing too major (other than I know eventually I'll need a new clutch) But my big debate is if I should start modding it. Cause if I keep the car, I'm going to work on it, period. Its either that or sell it and get something else to work on. I'm thinking of taking it in and getting it looked over to make sure theres nothing going wrong with it (u guys know any places that do it for free??) Any of you guys kept your max to high milage and is it worth it? Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:52 PM

I recenlty bought a max not too long ago. I did my research on them and found alot of maximas in my area with 250k miles selling for 4-7k for 95-99 years

I bought my max for gas purpose, if your going to mod it, get like a bad *** svt cobra or something for your weekend car
Old 07-25-2006, 05:59 PM

Unfortunatly I'm a junior in high school and don't have the money or space to buy another car. If I were to sell this, I would be looking at getting another max or something cheaper so I still had money to put into it. I love my car is the prob. 4-7K for 250k miles is really expensive...mine at 200k would only get around 3500. And it was highway miles and the interior is in good condition.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:14 PM

Well being it is kind of high miles, id say look into a motor swap(3.5?) or something in that sense being you would like to mod it. Just a suggestion not even the 3.5 maybe just a lower mile motor out of a wrecked 4th gen.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:17 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

Originally Posted by Fang_DH
But my big debate is if I should start modding it. Cause if I keep the car, I'm going to work on it, period. Its either that or sell it and get something else to work on.
Originally Posted by Fang_DH
Unfortunatly I'm a junior in high school and don't have the money or space to buy another car.
You can have a reliable DD or a performance car. You really cant have both. You can if you have both, because then you have a backup plan. It has 200k plus on it, dont mess with it. Your a junior? Guess what in three years you will have more bills than you know what to do with, and mods and fast cars dont seem so important. The majority, and im not saying all, of the kids in your school with really nice modified cars will be sucking at mommy and daddy's teet for a long time to come.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:18 PM

How much would that cost? I would love a 3.5...but money wise I'm not exacty uhh...loaded by any means. But even just a lower milage one how much would service cost to install?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:23 PM

personally i havent done either swap my 95 only has 110k but go read there are alot of people on here that have done it and posted it all, and the other factor is how cheap can u get a lower mile motor. Your going to need to check junkyards and anywhere u can find a car to tear it out of. But what a better mod then a new engine right?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:24 PM

3.5 swaps aren’t cheap (I think tilly dose them for 3k?) any way, those cars will last awhile, its just the little thing that will get you (window motors, switches pumps little stuff) I prob spend 100 bucks a month on little repairs, then again I FIX EVERYTHING
Your transition however will prob go out soon (if its an auto REAL SOON)
Old 07-25-2006, 06:24 PM

Well I kinda have a backup plan for a year...my dad is going to Qutar for a year (Air Force) and I can always pull his car out of the garage if something goes drastically wrong with mine...but I don't really see that happening. But then again you never really see that coming cause if you could you would prevent it. But thats why I love the max...its nice mix between performance and DD. I just want to see if anyone has had thiers last a long time to make sure I'm not pouring money into a soon to be dead car.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:26 PM

Nah its a 5 speed and it seems to be doing fine. And I don't mind little things, I love working on my car, I'm like you I fix everything. It's the big things I'm nervous about.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:26 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

You will be suprised how much your dads view on that will change when it actually happens. Talking from experience if you dont have the $$ in the bank for the worst case, you cant afford a damn thing. Save your $$, baby your car.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:55 PM

Man, you better keep that car the way it is and mod the hell out of it. I just sold mine for $2500 and it has 271,000 miles and roollliiinnnggg. The motor is tight as hell. Your car will last you for thousands of miles to come. These cars do break down here and there but starters, new battery, knock sensors, these kinds of small problems. Not major ones. You may need a rebuilt tranny soon or clutch. I was about to get a Y-pipes before if I didn't sell mine. Also mine was a 5 spd.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:58 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

Originally Posted by easter9053
Man, you better keep that car the way it is and mod the hell out of it. I just sold mine for $2500 and it has 271,000 miles and roollliiinnnggg. The motor is tight as hell. Your car will last you for thousands of miles to come. These cars do break down here and there but starters, new battery, knock sensors, these kinds of small problems. Not major ones. You may need a rebuilt tranny soon or clutch. I was about to get a Y-pipes before if I didn't sell mine. Also mine was a 5 spd.
your 36?? I'm stepping out of this thread in fear that i may be the only one here thinking that a high school kid with a 200k motor should leave it alone.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:08 PM

Awesome I'll keep it then and modd it out like i was planning. Thanks for the advice easter9053. And scubasteve, I understand your...worry, but chill man. I know I only have a year under my belt and shouldn't be doing any stupid sh**.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:22 AM

DUDE, sell the car and get a civic/integra/celica/eclipse/240sx/name your highschooler car here