4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tire ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2001, 01:39 PM

i just looked at my rear passenger side tire and saw a screw stuck in it is it ok to drive like this for a while or do i run the risk of blowing out the tire
Old 06-23-2001, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by timby01
i just looked at my rear passenger side tire and saw a screw stuck in it is it ok to drive like this for a while or do i run the risk of blowing out the tire
A screw or nail in the tread area will result in a slow leak. It is safe to drive for a few days but make sure the tire is properly inflated and don't speed.

A screw or nail in the sidewall is a more serious matter. Don't drive on a tire with that kind of injury. The tire may be unrepairable.
Old 06-23-2001, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
A screw or nail in the tread area will result in a slow leak. It is safe to drive for a few days but make sure the tire is properly inflated and don't speed.

A screw or nail in the sidewall is a more serious matter. Don't drive on a tire with that kind of injury. The tire may be unrepairable.
Thanks Danny B one more thing can i have this plugged or do i have to get a new tire
Old 06-23-2001, 08:42 PM

If it is on the tread away from the sidewall, it can be patched. Get it patched, not plugged. It only costs a few dollars more. You can drive this way for a while, but you will lose air over time. Get it fixed as soon as possible.

If it is on the sidewall, the tire is unsafe to drive on.
Old 06-24-2001, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.
If it is on the tread away from the sidewall, it can be patched. Get it patched, not plugged. It only costs a few dollars more. You can drive this way for a while, but you will lose air over time. Get it fixed as soon as possible.

If it is on the sidewall, the tire is unsafe to drive on.
I agree, if you are going to pay a professional to make this repair. However, you can get good results with Do-It-Yourself repair plugs if the wound is a simple puncture, and if the wound is in the tread area of the tire. In some cases the foreign object can be pulled and the plug inserted without even removing the wheel from the car. You will have to park next to an air compressor for this on-the-car maneuver.
Old 06-24-2001, 10:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just had mine plugged. One thing, you can't put that tire on the front anymore. It's more of a safety issue than anything else.