4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how do i teach stick shift driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor

well here's my situation, my parents believe that in an emergency my bro and sis need to be able to drive my car (even though i'll be a long way away from them) andI'm supposed to teach them how within a day or so or else i'll be pushed into sellin my 97 5spd annnnd hmmm all i know is be slow releasin da clutch and at da same time put ur foot on da gas hahaha
sooo any advice on how to teach the clutch gas control?
thanks =)
Old 06-24-2001, 05:02 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

just think

GAS PEDAL and CLUTCH as inversely proportional.

the less clutch u give, the more gas u need.

think RATIOS!

(engineer here. hehehe )

that's how i explain it when i teach my friends how to drive stick in my car.
Old 06-24-2001, 09:03 PM
Former Sponsor

haha yea i guess its the only way... i know that when i learnt stick i put my car through copious amounts of punishment for the first day or so... jus wonderin if i could spare my max suma the pain
Old 06-24-2001, 09:05 PM
Former Sponsor

oh yea btw, congrats on ur graduation... what are your plans now?... like where are you heading for your job?
Old 06-25-2001, 07:28 AM

here's the best way to teach stick, I've tought 2 women friends, 1 ex-girlfriend, and my sister

go to a flat parking lot
obviously describe to them how the whole thing works, you know, the clutch, the gears... so they have an idea and show them yourself how it works

now, this is important

let them sit behind the wheel, and tell them to put the car in 1st gear and just depress the clutch, that's it, NO GAS PEDAL (you should try this yourself and show it to them)
now, they'll need to "play" with the clutch to get the car started, but the car will start rolling and after it's going they can let go of the clutch completly

the reason I do this is because many people bonk the car because they either let go of the clutch too fast or they gas it ALOT, to prevent that, let them "feel" where the clutch INGAGES after they have done a dozen of starts, tell them to use the gas pedal right at the spot where the clutch grabs and then they can accelerate normally like you do

obviously going from 1st to 2nd is a piece of cake and I'm sure you can handle the explanation from then

make sure when you tell them to "play" the clutch, to literally find the grabbing spot and pretty much almost leave it there and push it back and forth and the car will start

again, it's fairly easy to teach if you follow my directions, it works every time, I'm going to teach another one of my girl friends how to drive a stick soon

later
Konstantin

p.s. let us know how it goes
Old 06-25-2001, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by Vinipux
here's the best way to teach stick, I've tought 2 women friends, 1 ex-girlfriend, and my sister

go to a flat parking lot
obviously describe to them how the whole thing works, you know, the clutch, the gears... so they have an idea and show them yourself how it works

now, this is important

let them sit behind the wheel, and tell them to put the car in 1st gear and just depress the clutch, that's it, NO GAS PEDAL (you should try this yourself and show it to them)
now, they'll need to "play" with the clutch to get the car started, but the car will start rolling and after it's going they can let go of the clutch completly

the reason I do this is because many people bonk the car because they either let go of the clutch too fast or they gas it ALOT, to prevent that, let them "feel" where the clutch INGAGES after they have done a dozen of starts, tell them to use the gas pedal right at the spot where the clutch grabs and then they can accelerate normally like you do

obviously going from 1st to 2nd is a piece of cake and I'm sure you can handle the explanation from then

make sure when you tell them to "play" the clutch, to literally find the grabbing spot and pretty much almost leave it there and push it back and forth and the car will start

again, it's fairly easy to teach if you follow my directions, it works every time, I'm going to teach another one of my girl friends how to drive a stick soon

later
Konstantin

p.s. let us know how it goes

Perfect directions, that's how I learned and taught other's to do.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:38 AM

thanks

Originally posted by medicsonic

Perfect directions, that's how I learned and taught other's to do.
thanks man, when I started driving I already knew how to do it so I didn't have to use this, but I thought that it would make most sense to teach it this way and it worked
Old 06-25-2001, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

thanks man... its sounds easy
i mean suma us jus know how to drive but dunt have an idea how to teach
i'll let u kno how it goes... hopefully it wont be too painful
Old 06-25-2001, 02:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

One more thing that new 5-speed drivers always want to do is keep lifting on the clutch, even after the car has started to move. Make sure you tell them that when the car starts to move, they can leave their feet still and the clutch will do its job. Girls usually freak when the car starts to roll backwards on a slope, that's the hardest for them to learn. Good Luck.
Old 06-25-2001, 10:48 PM
Former Sponsor

yea... haha the worst is hill starting... i've seen some crazy stupid s*** haha... like they freak out, rev the engine like crazy slam down the clutch ahahahah hilarious as long as i'm the guy goin the opposite direction and i'm not the car behind her
hmmm i'm thinkin of a special trick to ahem... avoid the prob.. i was wonderin if i took the car to a shop and have them set idle at 1000rpm would the OBD II emissions computer allow that? if i do that, all they have to worry about is releasin the clutch slowly... it all goes down this saturday haha
Old 06-26-2001, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by 97max5spd
One more thing that new 5-speed drivers always want to do is keep lifting on the clutch, even after the car has started to move. Make sure you tell them that when the car starts to move, they can leave their feet still and the clutch will do its job. Girls usually freak when the car starts to roll backwards on a slope, that's the hardest for them to learn. Good Luck.
what you do with that is you put the parking break on, and when you feel that car wants to go, release it slowly, when you're teaching it, you can do it for the person

I still do it sometimes on extremely big hills
Old 06-26-2001, 06:30 AM

this thread reminds me of a conversation with my GF:

me: I think you should learn how to drive my car so that if I get hurt or something, you can drive.
her: you just want me to know how to drive your car so that you can get more drunk at parties and make me drive!
me: hey, and that's not a bad idea also :-)
Old 06-26-2001, 10:52 AM

I've tought many people how to drive stick, and I always do it the same way....I have them start off without using any gas...then, after that, no problems....except my ex....she could never learn, and one day, we were on this big hill, and she kept rolling back, so finally, I just pulled the e-brake, told her to floor it and when it started hitting rev limiter, dump the clutch, and then I put the brake down, and she smoked them all the way through the intersection....it was great, but she never wanted to learn after that for some reason...
Old 06-26-2001, 06:54 PM
Former Sponsor

yea some people jus get too nervous and end up never learning... and it shows the most on hill parking... when i first drove i'd get nervous and just come off too hard.. ie spinning the tires for a second before i hooked up...
*sigh* well i have more confidence in teachin, hope my ehhh students have more confidence in driving
Old 06-26-2001, 10:38 PM

hey its been a day, do you still have yr 5 spd maxima or did you sell it??
Old 06-27-2001, 11:30 PM
Former Sponsor

its gona happen on saturday... i'm wonderin if i lose my max would it becuz my destructive siblings break it or my family decides it should be broke
hmmm i think i can put some leverage on my dad hahah he LOVES the car and i promised him he could drive it once in awhile when i go back home (w/o 18inch rims back to the stock 15" with wheels covers waahahahahaha)
the more i drive it the more i love it... except in traffic