4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cell Phone Hands Free Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 04:27 PM
MaxChadFL

Have a 98 SE automatic. I have a cigarette lighter speaker adapter with a separate jack for the microphone. The wire is long enough to go from the adapter, under the dash and up to the driver's side sun visor.

Can anyone tell me how to get the wire buried from the lighter, under the center console, dash and up the inside windshield by the door, up to the visor?

Thanks
MaxChadFL

Old 06-25-2001, 06:16 PM

I am not exactly sure how your hands-free kit works...but you could maybe hardwire the thing thru the sunroof control panel (if you have a sunroof). Just pop off the plastic housing (comes right off), and tap into a "hot" wire off the sunroof. If the kit has an on/off switch in line with the wire, wire the thing onto the interior light wire. For ground, there's plenty of bare metal up there with bolts to wrap a ground to. This way, you are above the headliner and can route straight to the driver's side visor. Otherwise, just wire it through the cigarette lighter by removing the entire center armrest unit and hardwire through the back of the lighter. once you get the center armrest unit off (comes off easy with a few screws), you can find plenty of places to route the long wire through. good luck
Old 06-26-2001, 04:38 AM
MaxChadFL

Hands Free Wiring

No sunroof. I have to use the wire provided. At one end is the small microphone. At the other end is the small RCA jack which plugs into a jack on the speaker unit.

I would like to know how to gain access to the center console, as well as under the dash, and then up the side by the window.

Thanks for the idea, though. Perhaps someone else might benefit from your recommendation.

Old 06-26-2001, 07:46 AM
Chico

Is this for a Sprint phone (samsung) ? If so I'd set up the microphone on the visor and run the wire and tuck it into the rubber seal on the windshield frame where the door and windshield frame meet run it all the way down, open your door tuck it in between the crack of your dash board the drivers side. Run that under your dash and under the steering column. Continue to tuck the wire under the center console near where your gas pedal is an run it back towards the jack. You may need to use two credit cards to slip and tuck the cable in the cracks. I've done this to two cars my 99SE and my Father in laws Lexus. You can only see the wire when it's near the lighter. Good Luck