4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is unknown ground under battery causing check engine light to come on after restart?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 06:31 AM
E36 ETR

Is unknown ground under battery causing check engine light to come on after restart?

I recently performed an averhaul on the transmission. We removed the engine to make things easier even though it was not required.

When we got everything back together, we were able to hook up all of the wires in a seamingly idiot proof manner. There was one wire that we had that was not connected to anything. There is a black wire (ground probably) located under the battery. The wire has a bullet connector on the free (dangling) end and the other end is screwed to the body of the car. Does anyone know what this wire goes to?

We are also having a problem keeping the check engine light from coming on. I can clear the codes as described in the FAQ, then when I start the car the light goes out and stays out. But when I turn the car off and restart the car, the light comes back on.

Is that black wire a ground for the ECU or something like that?

If we run the diagnosis procedure, we get 5 different error codes. I am fairly certain that 5 things did not break while other parts were being replaced. I am also fairly certain that we do not have a mess of mixed up wires because the connectors were all idiot proof.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:40 AM
No more Maximas...

Well, what are the codes? Have you checked to make sure the items that those codes represent are connected and in working order?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:31 AM
E36 ETR

I have five fault codes. There is no way that all of this stuff has failed while the car sat on the lift and other parts of the car were worked on.

I think the key to solving this problem is the fact that I can clear the codes and drive the car with the light off. The light only comes on when I shut the car off and then restart the car.

All connectors on the wiring hardness were accounted for. All of the connectors were different.

0210 - Diagnostic Trouble Code 0210 points to a problem with the fuel injection system. When the engine management system is running in closed-loop mode the Engine Control Unit (the computer) makes continual adjustments to maintain the air-fuel ratio near the ideal point. To achieve this it relies on signals from many sensors including the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the Oxygen Sensors.

This malfunction is detected when the ECM finds that it cannot properly control the air/fuel mixture, and the mixture is too lean (too much air). DTC 0210 indicates this problem exists on the left bank (the front bank, cylinders 2, 4, and 6). Possible causes include ...
- Intake air leaks
- Front Oxygen Sensor
- one or more fuel injectors on the front bank
- exhaust gas leaks
- incorrect fuel pressure
- lack of fuel
- Mass Air Flow Sensor

0304 - Diagnostic Trouble Code 0304 points to a problem with the Knock Sensor. The KS is attached to the cylinder block. It senses engine knocking using a piezoelectric element. A knocking vibration from the cylinder block is senses as vibrational pressure. This pressure is converted into a voltage signal and sent to the Engine Control Module (The computer).

This malfunction is detected when an excessively high or low voltage from the KS is entered to the ECM. Possible causes include...
- the harness or connector (The KS circuit is open or shorted).
- the KS

- Diagnostic Trouble Code 0401 points to a problem with the Intake Air Temperature Sensor. The IATS is mounted in the engine air intake duct, downstream of the air cleaner filter. It detects intake air temperature and transmits a signal to the Engine Control Module.

0902 - Diagnostic Trouble Code 0903 indicates a problem with the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Control Valve or its associated electric circuit.

1302 - MAP/BORO problem
Old 09-08-2006, 07:38 PM

vacuum leak. i would start with that