4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Calling people with PRCAI's...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 04:28 PM

Calling people with PRCAI's...

How did you go about sealing off the area where the filter is? Winter's just around the bend and I am afraid of rain/snow/slush splashing up into the fender and my having a ceased engine.

Ideas:

- Fasten sheet metal on the underbody holes to prevent splashing

- Or use foam to increase airflow but still reduce splash

- Build a shield for the filter

- Relocate filter for the winter via short ram
Old 09-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Black Maxima

Stock intake FTW...

Old 09-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Neo Raven456
How did you go about sealing off the area where the filter is? Winter's just around the bend and I am afraid of rain/snow/slush splashing up into the fender and my having a ceased engine.

Ideas:

- Fasten sheet metal on the underbody holes to prevent splashing

- Or use foam to increase airflow but still reduce splash

- Build a shield for the filter

- Relocate filter for the winter via short ram
relocation.. and as much as I love Black Maxima. PRCAI + stock resonator= FTMFW!!

If you're really a crazy dude and you have to have cold air when its snowing outside.. (consider that sentence a moment). Then I suppose there are ways to seal the compartment. but the more you do that the less air gets into the filter compartment itself.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Do you really plan on driving through that high of water? If you are worried, just take off the long tube and install the filter on the maf adapter.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Do you really plan on driving through that high of water? If you are worried, just take off the long tube and install the filter on the maf adapter.

It's not that I'm driving through high water, but its that if I go into a puddle, it will splash up and the part I'm worried about is it splashing up onto the filter, I'm gonna wait it out before I relocate the filter, and just take it out on a rainy/snowy day then bring it back and check the filter.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i've had the CAI on during heavy rains and neverhad a problem. Obviously you shouldn't go puddle hunting, but if your worried Just switch to a shortram. I switch on and off with the seasons. I actually prefer the shortram's sound over the CAI anyways.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:56 PM

I had my CAI intake in all winter... nothing happand.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:31 PM

I have been through high water with my prcai and never had a problem. Just go slow and don't create a wake or splash and you will be fine...
Old 09-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Tha Snatcher

Make certain that the splash guard and the fender lining are in good shape. I have a CAI as well.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Ichiban King

Yeah man I've gone through hurricane/monsoon/ (inser horific drenching downpour here) circumstances and the PR never choked, engine never hydrolocked and continues to whisper to me, that I made a wise investment.

OT: I keep telling my friends with F/I (Ie. mostly S13 and S14's) that we should do a PR style CAI, cause I've noticed they're all short-ram. problem comes in with the intercooler piping the the way. anyways sorry, just a thought.

good luck..
Old 09-11-2006, 10:51 AM

I've got one. Tropical Storm Ernesto just brough flash flooding conditions around my area. The cool thing about roads is taht the are no made totally flat. In the middle is the slight apex to allow for water run off. And your CAI will always be on the side that is closest to the apex.

Just go slow through puddles.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:19 PM

I was looking at my dads 98 Expedition yesterday and its intake is stock but similar setup as PRCAI. It exits just shy of the inner wheel well(that plastic inside there) and there is a hole in that plastic covered by a felt-like cloth that kinda hangs like vertical blinds,about 8-10 pieces in all,hes had that trunk since it was new and hes drives that thing through everything...hell we were in Key West when Katrina hit and it was fine. It wasn't Louisiana but it was still Cat.1 and we were loaded down with a 25 foot trailer with 4 bikes in it. Maybe something like that could work,I just ordered a PRCAI and might try it,and yes apparition I'm def gonna leave the resonator on there,thanks again
Old 09-12-2006, 09:36 PM

well my freind has a sentra ser spec v and he has the nismo cold air intake which is basically the same design as the PRCAI. weve driven through some nasty puddles and his car never hydrolocked, yes he is partially retarded but i dont care it aint my car ahha.

i dont know why people worry so much, unless you are a total idiot and try take the maxi off roading and try to forge through 3ft of water then you deserve to hydrolock the engine.

my .02 cents is, if your that worried about it then dont buy the PRCAI.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:49 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

ugh. ok, in order for your intake to suck up water and hydrokock your engine, the filter must be COMPLETELY submerged in water. If you drive through a puddle and some water splashes up and hits your filter, nothing is going to happen. You could be spraying your filter with a hose with the engine running and nothing will happen. But, if your still paranoid and feel like wasteing your money, go on ebay and buy a bypass valve.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:49 PM

Alright so then that leads me to this question...I have a PRCAI on its way now,maybe be here Saturday. Ok so I have to cut the hole from inside of engine compartment to the wheel well,so how close is the end of The filter gonna be to plastic wheel well crap? Did you guys just run it into the space or did/can you run it right up to the plastic stuff and cut a hole there,maybe leave an inch or two? Would it even be worth the extra work?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Godson
Alright so then that leads me to this question...I have a PRCAI on its way now,maybe be here Saturday. Ok so I have to cut the hole from inside of engine compartment to the wheel well,so how close is the end of The filter gonna be to plastic wheel well crap? Did you guys just run it into the space or did/can you run it right up to the plastic stuff and cut a hole there,maybe leave an inch or two? Would it even be worth the extra work?

It's not your wheel well. It is behind the front fender wall literally behind the foglight spacing. It is well protected from the wheel.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:25 PM

Oh ok thanks,I wasnt really sure. So then there isnt really much cutting involved then right?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Thank you all for replying, it has really eased my thoughts, I'm only 17 and when I told my parents what I was doing they all kept saying things like:

"YOUR GONNA LOCK UP YOUR ENGINE"
"CALL THE MECHANIC TO MAKE SURE ITS OK"

I was like -_- w/e, and did it anyway, but:

Originally Posted by Vlasic
ugh. ok, in order for your intake to suck up water and hydrokock your engine, the filter must be COMPLETELY submerged in water. If you drive through a puddle and some water splashes up and hits your filter, nothing is going to happen. You could be spraying your filter with a hose with the engine running and nothing will happen. But, if your still paranoid and feel like wasteing your money, go on ebay and buy a bypass valve.
That eased my worries.

As for the cutting Godson, its really an easy install, take out your battery, fuse box, and move a bunch of cable out of the way, cut your hole, run the tube, and put everything back. If you look in front of you front left wheel, on the bottom you'll see a splash guard with a little button like screw holding it up, if you just pop that off and look up inside you can see the back of your fogs and the front of your wheel well.

Thats where the filter sits. I just drove through a bunch of rain today, heavy down pour, and feel a lot better about the hydro locking now.

= ORG
Old 09-14-2006, 11:52 PM

Cool...cant wait for this thing to come,would love to have it for the weekend.....I see you said it was raining but how does it feel?sound better?