4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine problems with JWT Pop Charger

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 03:32 PM

After when I installed my JWT pop charger, i have some engine problems. First, when i start the car and rev it up passed 3k RPMS, the engine completely shuts off. It sounds like my engine is struggling or breathing for air. Even when I throw it in reverse or drive, the engine will shut off within a few seconds. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I took off the positive battery connector for about an hour and a half (to reset the ECU?). I still had the same problem even before I took off the positive battery connector. I will attempt to manually reset the ECU to see what happens. However, I doubt it will solve the problem.
Old 06-27-2001, 03:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

Check to see that the maf connection is clean and tight. The car might be in limp mode. Check engine light?

Put the stock intake and see if that solves the problem.
Old 06-27-2001, 03:35 PM

Make sure that you have correctly connected the MAFS and check for leaks. BTW, are you still on for the thing, or are you backing out?
Old 06-27-2001, 04:20 PM

ok, i just left my engine on for about 10-15 minutes and now, the engine seems ok when driving around 20-30mph (i took a little trip around my block). However, it seems like I'm having trouble revving the engine high. Is this normal? I hear a whistle or some sort from the engine (low RPMS). Is that normal too? Also, it still feels like sometimes, the engine feels is struggling for air. Should I leave the car on for a little to make sure that the ECU adjusts itself to the new air flow conditions? Thanks for the advice guys.

Hey Medicsonic, i think i will back out for the SMX grille, because I've gotten some comments from friends and they don't like the looks of the grille (even though its the only available aftermarket grille for the 95-96 max). Please sell it to someone else on the forum, because I'm sure u will get a ton of offers. Thanks again, and sorry to tell u this last minute. And thank you for the advice too!
Old 06-27-2001, 04:42 PM

Ok, i just took another test drive and my engine will not rev up past 2500rpm???? I don't know why it won't, but if i attempt to try to pass 2500rpm, it will make a clogging noise or some sort. I think i will try to put back my stock air box tommorow to see what happens. Hopefully my engine will work fine when i put it back on and see what happens.
Old 06-27-2001, 05:44 PM

First question: Is your check engine light on?
Second question: where did you place the ambient heat sensor?
Old 06-27-2001, 05:56 PM

Yup, check engine light is on, but i haven't attempted to do a diagnostic test just yet. My air temperature sensor from the stock air box is not connected (its still on the stock air box because 1 of the 2 really tiny philips screws will not come off for some reason). Could this be the cause of my 2400rpm problem? Or do you think its the MAF sensor problems?
Old 06-27-2001, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by maximaxgtr
Yup, check engine light is on, but i haven't attempted to do a diagnostic test just yet. My air temperature sensor from the stock air box is not connected (its still on the stock air box because 1 of the 2 really tiny philips screws will not come off for some reason). Could this be the cause of my 2400rpm problem? Or do you think its the MAF sensor problems?
I would start with the sensor, and hope your problem ends there. That would be the first thing to set off the check engine light. I think emax95 had a problem with his MAF sensor, but it was a stop and go traffic problem.
Old 06-27-2001, 07:12 PM

Found a solution i think...

After going through a crap load of forum posts, I think i finally found the solution to the problem (for those who are having a similar problem to mine). Click on the bottom link and read. I'm gonna give it a try tommorow and see if i can get the 3 prongs and 3 rivets to connect.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....180#post336180